How bad will Garrett be this year?

JBS

Reaction score
Jason Garrett >>>> our roster

Our roster is holding us back-not Garrett

Eskimo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555883 said:
Hey, I agree we are the most complete team since 1995. I really do believe that premise of your argument. But that's also a good reason why I think Garrett was a terrible coach last year... he had all the tools to succeed, too. It wasn't like he was given a bad hand or something.

I'd say we are a complete team now.

Last year the OL was very weak for a good chunk of the season and this impacted the play calling and the game planning to a ridiculous degree. I also believe it played a major role for how a couple of critical games turned. The consistent inability to run on 3rd and 1 and the goalline has been horrific since the 2009 season and it peaked last year. We had only 5 rushing touchdowns all year and one of them was that 95 yarder from Murray.

The other thing that was horrific last year was the play from the CBs and one half of the ILB duo. Newman, Ball and Walker were all horrifically bad. Scandrick was below average while Jenkins was good but injured for a good chunk of the year between the shoulder and his hamstring. They were so bad that good QBs could just throw up the ball in the vincinity of the WR and know that our CBs would not defend the play in man coverage. Now add in the fact that the ILBs cannot handle their coverage responsibilities so need extra help from the safeties and you can see all the coverage problems that ensued.

So I disagree with your assessment of last year's roster. I think it was deeply flawed on the basis of a horrifically bad interior OL and a horrifically bad secondary. Well in this league your offense isn't going to be good if the OL struggles so much and it is a testament to Garrett to some degree but mostly to Romo that the offense was pretty productive despite playing with that handicap. The defense was also deeply flawed as a group because of the lack of coverage skills in the back 7 and this allowed teams to throw the ball at will on us at the end of games leading to quick scores and scoreboard collapses.

I think a good job has been done to rectify those deficits in the roster and we now have a team capable of playing with the best in the league so long as Livings and Bernadeau can give us league average play at OG which is all that I'm hoping for. We also have corrected ILB with Carter ready to go and Connor ready to go if Carter fails. We have corrected the secondary by adding Claiborne and Carr so we go from arguably the worst set of CBs in the league to maybe the best top 3 in the league assuming Claiborne is as good as Jerry thinks, Carr plays like he did last year and Jenkins plays like he did last year. We also didn't sell out too much to fix the CB situation. We brought in one young, healthy upper echelon CB in Carr at $10M but we didn't re-sign Jenkins. Instead we got a rookie ready to play at a high level and reasonable cap figure who will be here for several years thus protecting our salary cap cost structure for next year - we should be able to let Jenkins go and thus not overly tie up our money at CB. This is sound financial management and good forward planning.

I think we have had a great offseason. I think Garrett will be better this year now that he got Henderson on board for the DBs and Callahan to relieve him from the OC duties and to assist in play calling. I think it took a lot of guts for Garrett to backtrack and bring in an OC when he saw his failings in the Arizona game. He has shown the ability to self-evaluate and improve and that makes me hopeful for the future of the franchise.

Kilyin

Reaction score
http://dl.***NOT-ALLOWED***/u/66291495/GarrettSpeechoGram.jpg

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kilyin;4556106 said:
http://dl.***NOT-ALLOWED***/u/66291495/GarrettSpeechoGram.jpg
If your going through the trouble of making a graph, at least add "it's a process" :)

Kilyin

Reaction score
dexternjack;4556113 said:
If your going through the trouble of making a graph, at least add "it's a process" :)

I stole it from the unticket. It's their fault

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Please tell me how Garrett had all of the tools to succeed last year?

If and when The Dallas Cowboys win another Super Bowl, I highly doubt it will be good enough for a large portion of the members on this board. They'll find something to complain about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyMcCoy;4555646 said:
Last season was the worst coaching job I've seen in a decade, in college or pro, by any team I'm a fan of.

Will Garrett be as awful this year as he was the last?

will the players put him in a situation to make bad decisions....I know it sounds crazy....but in a way it's somewhat true...as he needs to make the right choices in those critical situations, clock management and such....but think about it, will they put him in that situation by executing the plays like they are supposed to earlier in the games....

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Eskimo;4556101 said:
I'd say we are a complete team now.

Last year the OL was very weak for a good chunk of the season and this impacted the play calling and the game planning to a ridiculous degree. I also believe it played a major role for how a couple of critical games turned. The consistent inability to run on 3rd and 1 and the goalline has been horrific since the 2009 season and it peaked last year. We had only 5 rushing touchdowns all year and one of them was that 95 yarder from Murray.

The other thing that was horrific last year was the play from the CBs and one half of the ILB duo. Newman, Ball and Walker were all horrifically bad. Scandrick was below average while Jenkins was good but injured for a good chunk of the year between the shoulder and his hamstring. They were so bad that good QBs could just throw up the ball in the vincinity of the WR and know that our CBs would not defend the play in man coverage. Now add in the fact that the ILBs cannot handle their coverage responsibilities so need extra help from the safeties and you can see all the coverage problems that ensued.

So I disagree with your assessment of last year's roster. I think it was deeply flawed on the basis of a horrifically bad interior OL and a horrifically bad secondary. Well in this league your offense isn't going to be good if the OL struggles so much and it is a testament to Garrett to some degree but mostly to Romo that the offense was pretty productive despite playing with that handicap. The defense was also deeply flawed as a group because of the lack of coverage skills in the back 7 and this allowed teams to throw the ball at will on us at the end of games leading to quick scores and scoreboard collapses.

I think a good job has been done to rectify those deficits in the roster and we now have a team capable of playing with the best in the league so long as Livings and Bernadeau can give us league average play at OG which is all that I'm hoping for. We also have corrected ILB with Carter ready to go and Connor ready to go if Carter fails. We have corrected the secondary by adding Claiborne and Carr so we go from arguably the worst set of CBs in the league to maybe the best top 3 in the league assuming Claiborne is as good as Jerry thinks, Carr plays like he did last year and Jenkins plays like he did last year. We also didn't sell out too much to fix the CB situation. We brought in one young, healthy upper echelon CB in Carr at $10M but we didn't re-sign Jenkins. Instead we got a rookie ready to play at a high level and reasonable cap figure who will be here for several years thus protecting our salary cap cost structure for next year - we should be able to let Jenkins go and thus not overly tie up our money at CB. This is sound financial management and good forward planning.

I think we have had a great offseason. I think Garrett will be better this year now that he got Henderson on board for the DBs and Callahan to relieve him from the OC duties and to assist in play calling. I think it took a lot of guts for Garrett to backtrack and bring in an OC when he saw his failings in the Arizona game. He has shown the ability to self-evaluate and improve and that makes me hopeful for the future of the franchise.

Every roster is flawed. I just hope he does better now that he has almost as good of a roster as you can ask for minus a few spots.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
StevenOtero;4556137 said:
Please tell me how Garrett had all of the tools to succeed last year?

If and when The Dallas Cowboys win another Super Bowl, I highly doubt it will be good enough for a large portion of the members on this board. They'll find something to complain about.

If you seriously think that following a superbowl, a LARGE PORTION of this board would be complaining, then I don't even know why you'd want to be here.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
iceberg;4556164 said:
your semi-flippant troll job it sounds like.

Um, if you think it's flippant, check again. I've never propped Garrett up the way some around here do, like he's the 2nd coming of JC or something.

And if anyone is trolling, have you taken a look at your sidekick's obvious troll bys and your half-witted pot shots throughout the thread?

Atta boy, ice, way to add something to the board besides your whining....

Wait a minute.. wishful thinking on my part, eh?

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556042 said:
We were good last year with the potential to be great. If we're not great, someone isn't getting the full potential out of this team.

I have huge expectations because of where we're at talent wise. I want to see it translate to the bottom line--a Super Bowl win.

If you truly believe the OL and secondary of 2011 had the potential to be great, then you have no ability to judge talent.

The team could not run, and could not stop the pass. If anything, that team had the potential to be truly bad.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555655 said:
Sorry, I just can't put it any other way after a season like that. I can't find any confidence in the guy anywhere within me. And I've looked for reasons; I just can't find any.

The guy was terrible and that's putting it lightly.

He really was only bad in the Cardinals game (his time out probably cost us a playoff berth) and the Lions game where he did nothing but call passes when he should have run.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
M'Kevon;4556182 said:
If you truly believe the OL and secondary of 2011 had the potential to be great, then you have no ability to judge talent.

The team could not run, and could not stop the pass. If anything, that team had the potential to be truly bad.

Great to me is just winning the big dance. Nothing else means great.

I'm saying we had a chance to win. You wouldn't see Bill Parcells whining about how he didn't have the guys. You wouldn't see him making excuses for squandering a playoff berth.

The Giants won the Superbowl. Let me guess, you think Eli Manning is the next Troy Aikman? They have a few good players, but it's a team effort. And we had the team to win. If the Giants won, we could have won. We should have won. I know that sounds cliche'. And in itself it's a weak argument. But I'm tired of looking back and thinking that. I want to move forward and win.

Last year was a missed opportunity.

It's hard to see, isn't it?