How 'Bout Them Rangers

Stautner

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3496624 said:
How so?

The Yankees don't consistently come out on top. There are lots of situations in which other teams land players the Yankees want. Do the Yankees have more money then any other team in Baseball? Yes. Do they always have the highest Salary? No. They will always be at the top but they are not always the highest spending franchise in baseball. To say that they have more money and that's why they are better is not an accurate assumption. The last 10 Champs.

2009 Yanks
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox
2006 Cards
2005 White Sox
2004 Red Sox
2003 Marlins
2002 Angels
2001 D'Backs
2000 Yanks

As you look at these teams, many of them are not what you would consider High End spenders. IN fact, I would say the majority were not.

It's about percentages. Clearly I never said they get every player they want, I sais they spend whatever it takes to get the ones they truly covet. Even the Yankees can't have a $1 billion payroll, and even the Yankees can't exceed the major league roster limit, so even the Yankees have to draw a line somewhere. The point is they Yankee's line is so dramatically higher than everyone else's, and they have so much higher percentage of getting players by outbidding the competition that the playing field isn't even remotely even.

And sure the Yankee don't ALWAYS win it all - they still have to be playing their best at the right time of year, but they have won dramatically more than anyone else. Besides, do we really want a league where the elite players are crammed into a few teams with the most money, or do we want a league where every team, and every fan, feels like they have some chance to compete on a level playing field?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
nyc;3496673 said:
I've added the team salaries and their ranking salary wise in the quote above.

btw, when was the last time the Yankees weren't the top spenders? (they were tops in all the lists I just checked to get the numbers posted above)

As for the Yankees not winning the WS every year, Jeter said it best. The best teams make it to the playoffs, the hottest teams win it. You can have all the best players, but if you are slumping, your chance of winning it all is pretty low.

If you look at that list, all those teams were spending a lot of money. The only team in that 10 year span that wasn't in the top half of money spenders was the Marlins. If you look at the 2003 Marlins roster, there are a lot of big time players there that hadn't landed monster contracts yet.

Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, Carl Pavano, A.J. Burnett, Rick Helling (20 game winner), Dontrelle Willis, Pudge Rodriguez, Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Derrek Lee, Mike Lowell, Juan Encarnacion, and Juan Pierre. If you would have tried to put that team together a few years after that season, it would have been easily a top salary. They had the quality guys before the demanded hugh salaries.

I don't know the last time NYC. Maybe 98 and Baltimore but I don't know for certain. I don't think Top Half is a good measuring stick but it really doesn't matter. The fact remains that many, many teams will not spend to get players or improve facilities because it's more profitable to stay bad and pull in a larger share of the profit share. It's a difference in approach. You can't villainize the Yankees for investing and turn a blind eye towards those teams who are clearly not investing. If this were the Cowboys, would you say that Jerry would be a bad guy because he spent more to get players then a team like Bidwell's Cards who are notorious for not wanting to spend money to make his team better?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stautner;3496699 said:
It's about percentages. Clearly I never said they get every player they want, I sais they spend whatever it takes to get the ones they truly covet. Even the Yankees can't have a $1 billion payroll, and even the Yankees can't exceed the major league roster limit, so even the Yankees have to draw a line somewhere. The point is they Yankee's line is so dramatically higher than everyone else's, and they have so much higher percentage of getting players by outbidding the competition that the playing field isn't even remotely even.

And sure the Yankee don't ALWAYS win it all - they still have to be playing their best at the right time of year, but they have won dramatically more than anyone else. Besides, do we really want a league where the elite players are crammed into a few teams with the most money, or do we want a league where every team, and every fan, feels like they have some chance to compete on a level playing field?

They also pay a great deal more of the revenue Share then any other team. I, for one, don't believe there ever will be a level playing field in MLB. The truth of the matter is that when the Yankees win, Baseball as a whole, makes more money. There will always be owners who will pocket the money rather then putting it back into the team, which is what it would take to consistently have a balanced and level league. So long as these two things remain unchanged, you are never going to have a level playing field. It's as simple as that IMO.

Stautner

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3496705 said:
I don't know the last time NYC. Maybe 98 and Baltimore but I don't know for certain. I don't think Top Half is a good measuring stick but it really doesn't matter. The fact remains that many, many teams will not spend to get players or improve facilities because it's more profitable to stay bad and pull in a larger share of the profit share. It's a difference in approach. You can't villainize the Yankees for investing and turn a blind eye towards those teams who are clearly not investing. If this were the Cowboys, would you say that Jerry would be a bad guy because he spent more to get players then a team like Bidwell's Cards who are notorious for not wanting to spend money to make his team better?

I think you are talking about another matter, that I agree is also a problem. There are teams that are just not going to spend, and that is also bad for baseball.

Nevertheless, I actually think they might spend more with a salary cap because at least then they know they have a cut off point, and they have a limit that fans will expect them to at least get close to. It's one thing for a team to use the excuse that they can't compete with the bigger market teams who seem to have almost unlimited funds to work with, but if there were a cap and the teams still refused to compete fans would turn their backs on them.

But the thing is that when Jerry spends money he is subject to the same limit Bidwell is. There can be no complaint that Bidwell didn't have the same opportunity. You can't force teams to spend, but you can make sure teams all have the same playing field to compete on.

ABQCOWBOY;3496712 said:
They also pay a great deal more of the revenue Share then any other team. I, for one, don't believe there ever will be a level playing field in MLB. The truth of the matter is that when the Yankees win, Baseball as a whole, makes more money. There will always be owners who will pocket the money rather then putting it back into the team, which is what it would take to consistently have a balanced and level league. So long as these two things remain unchanged, you are never going to have a level playing field. It's as simple as that IMO.

I agree that there will never be a completely level playing field. A salary cap doesn't make ALL factors equal, just one of the biggest ones. Like you said, there will always be some edge to the Yankees based on the opportunity to supplement the baseball salary with income opportunities that go with being a high profile player on a high profile team in a high profile city. I have no problem with that. MLB can't control everything, and shouldn't. Outside income opportunities are not something baseball should concern itself with unless it is something that puts the game in a bad light.

The argument that when the Yankees win baseball makes more money is a bad one. That almost seems to suggest that MLB should make sure to help the Yankees win in order to make more money. MLB does get a boost from the nationwide following the Yankees have, no doubt, just like the NFL does with the Cowboys, but success of the league still depends on every team, and every set of fans feeling there is a reason to have hope and maintain an interest in their team.

dback

Reaction score
What a fantastic win for the Rangers. Way to recover from the Yankee loss. This is what good teams do in the latter half of the season. Great freaking win.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
dbacklund;3497106 said:
What a fantastic win for the Rangers. Way to recover from the Yankee loss. This is what good teams do in the latter half of the season. Great freaking win.

I'm always a fan of a Boston loss.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dbacklund;3497106 said:

That was just an extremely crazy game. It sucks that Tommy has gone from ace quality starter to handing out HRs like it was a fire sale.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
nyc;3497130 said:
That was just an extremely crazy game. It sucks that Tommy has gone from ace quality starter to handing out HRs like it was a fire sale.

I'm guessing it's a control issue. He's never had overpowering stuff and he always throws strikes. If he can't get his control back, it's like batting practice.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
More good news for Rangers fans:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texa...lower-prices-for-parking-food-and-merchandise

Friday, August 13, 2010
First order: New owners slash prices

By ESPNDallas.com

The new Chuck Greenberg-Nolan Ryan ownership group hit the ground running Friday, announcing new pricing and in-game initiatives at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington for the remainder of this season.

Among the changes:

* The price of cash parking will be reduced from $12 to $10, beginning tonight. Cash parking will remain $5 on all Fireworks Fridays (except tonight and Sept. 10).

* Reduced concession prices: Jumbo Hot Dog (drops from $4.50 to $4); 24-ounce soda cup ($4.75 to $4); 32-ounce souvenir soda cup ($5.75 to $5); 20-ounce bottled soda ($4.50 to $3.75); 22-ounce souvenir beer cup ($7.75 to $7); 16-ounce vended bottle beer ($7 to $6); hot chocolate ($3 to $1).

* Reduced merchandise prices: Rangers Adult T-Shirt ($11 to $10); Youth T-Shirt ($9 to $8); Adult Adjustable Cap ($12 to $9); Youth Adjustable Cap ($10 to $8); Souvenir Baseball ($6 to $5).

* Cap Exchange Program: Fans can also receive a 20 percent discount ($35 to $28) off the regular price of an authentic Rangers blue or red cap by bringing an authentic cap in any condition of any other major league team.

* Enhanced fan experience: T-shirts being thrown into the stands on all levels of Rangers Ballpark, adding ball and strike counts to concourse monitors, reinstituting radio play-by-play sound on the concourses, and new elements on the scoreboards, video boards, and in the seating bowl.

"On behalf of Nolan Ryan and our entire group, I want to say how proud we are to assume the ownership of the Texas Rangers," Greenberg said. "This franchise belongs to our fans, and we wanted to show our appreciation for their loyalty and support by implementing these initiatives immediately.

"We are committed to providing the ultimate fan experience, and we welcome the input of our fans on how to do this. Today is just the beginning of that process."

Greenberg and Ryan will participate in a special first pitch ceremony prior to Saturday night’s game with the Red Sox.

Little_Roloff

Reaction score
Wow that's fantastic. The Angels owner made a big splash by reducing the price of beer when he first took over and it actually got more fans in the park.

I'm glad the ownership situation is all cleared up and people can just enjoy the baseball.

T-RO

Reaction score
nyc;3497130 said:

Hunter was sick. And not just a little sick...

Throwing up during the game.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
go Redsox even though we're (probably) not gonna make the playoffs. you guys better beat the NY overpaid babies and there billion dollar payroll in October.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
OK, I'm no longer sold on the Cantu pickup. The guy is a liability defensively and hasn't exactly been lighting it up offensively either.

I would much rather have Moreland in the game. The guy looks so calm cool and collected at the plate. His demeanor at the plate and swing reminds me so much of Raphael Palmerio.

Last nights complete collapse by the *new* (Cantu) and young (Boggs and Arias) players on the Rangers was so painful to watch, I had to turn it off when it became 5-4.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3500492 said:
OK, I'm no longer sold on the Cantu pickup. The guy is a liability defensively and hasn't exactly been lighting it up offensively either.

I would much rather have Moreland in the game. The guy looks so calm cool and collected at the plate. His demeanor at the plate and swing reminds me so much of Raphael Palmerio.

Last nights complete collapse by the *new* (Cantu) and young (Boggs and Arias) players on the Rangers was so painful to watch, I had to turn it off when it became 5-4.

That was an ugly loss. The game was in their grasp and they let it go. If they want to be a championship team they can't let those things happen.

The biggest thing though has been how anemic the offense has been the last month. They are struggling to score runs, and even when they do it's often like last night where they score most in 1 inning and don't do much the rest of the game.