How can professional coaches not see Jarwin has to be on the field more?

Gorgon

Reaction score
How can professional coaches not see he HAS to be on the field more. The man can play and is like a wideout running down the seam and after the catch. It’s crazy that our passing game can still be better with guys like Jarwin and pollard playing

Agree. All this guy does is make big plays. No, he may not block as well as Witten, but since we aren't running the ball that well anyway, . . . .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why not incorporate more 2 TE sets where they are both used as receivers? Like NE did with Gronk and Hernandez. Like the e-girls are doing currently with Goedert and Ertz...

Witten still moves the chains reliably so I don't have a problem with him being in the game. Critics have been trying to retire him for years but the truth is that he gets the job done.
we do that a lot more than you think.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How can professional coaches not see he HAS to be on the field more. The man can play and is like a wideout running down the seam and after the catch. It’s crazy that our passing game can still be better with guys like Jarwin and pollard playing
Jarwin is getting to play...he has had 200+ snaps compared to witten's who has about 400. he is not getting targeted as much, about 22 times and has 17 catches....his best games are against the giants for some reason.

so its not like he is not getting chances...he is...he is not consistent. we as fans tend to focus on the spectacular (ESPN generation of highlight watching fans). so why isn't Dak targeting him more? Jarwin needs to be more consistent, get open and I am sure Dak will throw him the ball

plus we are #1 offense, #4 scoring and we still complain about the back up TE not getting more chances...that's when I think we are doing good and just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking

Gorgon

Reaction score
Good points, although sometimes you have to specifically design plays to get people open.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin is getting to play...he has had 200+ snaps compared to witten's who has about 400. he is not getting targeted as much, about 22 times and has 17 catches....his best games are against the giants for some reason.

so its not like he is not getting chances...he is...he is not consistent. we as fans tend to focus on the spectacular (ESPN generation of highlight watching fans). so why isn't Dak targeting him more? Jarwin needs to be more consistent, get open and I am sure Dak will throw him the ball

plus we are #1 offense, #4 scoring and we still complain about the back up TE not getting more chances...that's when I think we are doing good and just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking
He's catching 77% of his targets, so I think it's likely the targets that are inconsistent rather than him being inconsistent. Of course, how good a job he has done of getting open is an unknown, but I largely think he just hasn't been targeted much. As it is, Witten has been targeted 5.2 times per game, and Jarwin 2.2. I would like to see that spread a little closer.

lopey

Reaction score
Jarwin is a nice situational player. He's a speedy WR/TE hybrid.

His blocking sucks though.
I think thats the problem. his blocking is not up to par. The league though has gone to more of a pass catching receiver as the NO 1 tight end, but are offense is stuck in 1992...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's catching 77% of his targets, so I think it's likely the targets that are inconsistent rather than him being inconsistent. Of course, how good a job he has done of getting open is an unknown, but I largely think he just hasn't been targeted much. As it is, Witten has been targeted 5.2 times per game, and Jarwin 2.2. I would like to see that spread a little closer.
the key is not the percentage...because Witten is catching at a 79% rate!.....its the total number of targets.... he has been targeted 22 times total. witten has been targeted 52 times.....so in all the TEs have been targeted 74 times out of about 365 attempts...that's about a 20% rate....Jarwin's three biggest catches came against the giants...like I said for some reason he plays well against the giants.....

so should he be targeted more? how much more? is he consistent enough? with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb as primary WRs, the target percentage for TEs seems about right.....the other point I was trying to make, he has been targeted 22 times, he has had 200+ snaps...is he getting open? can he make the routine play? why isn't Dak targeting him more? you can't tell me Dak is not targeting him on purpose..... unless you are suggesting we should design more plays with Jarwin being the primary target? does he deserve that?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the key is not the percentage...because Witten is catching at a 79% rate!.....its the total number of targets.... he has been targeted 22 times total. witten has been targeted 52 times.....so in all the TEs have been targeted 74 times out of about 365 attempts...that's about a 20% rate....Jarwin's three biggest catches came against the giants...like I said for some reason he plays well against the giants.....

so should he be targeted more? how much more? is he consistent enough? with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb as primary WRs, the target percentage for TEs seems about right.....the other point I was trying to make, he has been targeted 22 times, he has had 200+ snaps...is he getting open? can he make the routine play? why isn't Dak targeting him more? you can't tell me Dak is not targeting him on purpose..... unless you are suggesting we should design more plays with Jarwin being the primary target? does he deserve that?

But my point is not getting targets doesn't mean Jarwin hasn't been consistent, it means the team hasn't been consistent in targeting Jarwin. As for whether he can make the routine play, again, his catch % is very good, and many not all the plays were routine, so I don't see why we would doubt he can make the routine plays. As for why Dak isn't targeting him more, unfortunately we are left to speculate on that. It could be he is having difficulty getting open sometimes, and it could be that he just hasn't been a focus in game planning. If one assumes it is the latter, sure I wouldn't have a problem with a few more plays focused on him. I'm not talking about a dramatic increase, just something like instead of 1-2 targets a game, maybe 2-3 or 3-4. I think how he has been able to turn upfield and get good yardage after the catch suggests he does deserve it. But i'm also aware that he has the advantage of being the forgotten man, and that helps him get open against opposing defenses. If we were to use him as the #1 TE defenses would game plan more for him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Bingo!!!!!!!! .......never thought about it until I read a tweet from a former OC who basically said your idea TE knows a little about all offense positions ( OL, RB, WR, QB ).

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wonder if anyone here knows who leads our team in catch % and yards of seperation at the point of the catch. Hint hint it's not a Rb, Not a receiver, and it isn't Jarwin but it is a guy who will be a HOF'r. The problem coaches have with gtting Jarwin more touches is we run less 12 and more 11 personnel. And you don't take witten off the field. Jarwin and Pollard are 2 guys that 100% need more opportunities but they aren't starters, not yet. When gallop and coop are catching passes at a near 60% rate and you need a play your darn right your going to the guy making nearly 80% of his catches. Moore just needs to continue to give a series to Jarwin much like he does pollard but i'm thinking those guys need a series in the 2nd and 3rd quarters along with sprinkling some time throughout the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But my point is not getting targets doesn't mean Jarwin hasn't been consistent, it means the team hasn't been consistent in targeting Jarwin. As for whether he can make the routine play, again, his catch % is very good, and many not all the plays were routine, so I don't see why we would doubt he can make the routine plays. As for why Dak isn't targeting him more, unfortunately we are left to speculate on that. It could be he is having difficulty getting open sometimes, and it could be that he just hasn't been a focus in game planning. If one assumes it is the latter, sure I wouldn't have a problem with a few more plays focused on him. I'm not talking about a dramatic increase, just something like instead of 1-2 targets a game, maybe 2-3 or 3-4. I think how he has been able to turn upfield and get good yardage after the catch suggests he does deserve it. But i'm also aware that he has the advantage of being the forgotten man, and that helps him get open against opposing defenses. If we were to use him as the #1 TE defenses would game plan more for him.
so where does Jarwin fall in the pecking order of targets? we can easily say coop, gallup and cobb are primary receiving targets. then its witten, jarwin, pollard, zeke in some form or fashion....we also hear that pollard is not being used enough in passing game and that we are not throwing screens to the RB as much as we did in the past, and there is only one ball to go around. we get about 25 pass plays per game. so given about 20% goes to TEs, then that's about 7 targets per game....we are probably arguing over a 1 or 2 extra targets per game here or there......

the fact is that witten despite everything is still a better blocker than jarwin, and given about half the plays are run plays and we run a lot of 3 WR sets, then no room for running two TEs consistently and not want to put jarwin in to do run blocking at this time. so probably why witten is getting more snaps.....I am looking for breakdown of pass plays, with witten, jarwin and both in the game.

with that said, we have run more two TE sets than we have in the past (or it seems like it). so jarwin is getting in the game about 200+ snaps in the season about 20+ snaps per game.....lets say about ha3/4 of of those are pass plays, given 20% of them go to TEs (based on this year spread of targets) that's about 3 pass plays that Jarwin is in the game and TEs being targeted and in 10 games he has been targeted 22 times, that's about 2 per game.....

does he deserve more snaps? perhaps.... but again where is he in the pecking order of receiving targets...he maybe better than witten according to many (questionable in some areas, better in other areas). how many more snaps. you can't certainly feed everyone.....and he is not a Zach ertz, Kelce or among the top TEs in the league.

...with that said, my point is that he is not consistent, in the manner that he may not be getting open consistently, thus not targeted......he has been in 200+ snaps.. assuming he is in on pass plays mostly since he is not a blocking TE, then about 150+ snaps....he has been targeted 22 times...why not more? why is he not more consistently getting open? I don't think Dak makes discrimination one way or the other. he hits the open receiver when he sees them and when he can.

and my argument would be if he moved to #1 TE and teams game planned for him, then he will be very ineffective...he is getting matched up against lesser defenders and he needs to take advantage....going up against top LBs and safeties, he will probably struggle. ...I think he is being used effectively. could we target him a few more times...perhaps. but he is not and should not be the focus of our game plan

and don't forget, we are nitpicking here...we are #1 offense. #1 passing offense. #4 scoring....why are we arguing about Jarwin!!! the 4th guy in the pecking order at best....probably the 6th guy is where he belongs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our owner and coaches do not have "best player on the field" mentality. They think in terms of who is "family" first. Also who is getting paid more.
and the fans on this forum know who the best player is, perhaps we should point jerry to this board....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so where does Jarwin fall in the pecking order of targets? we can easily say coop, gallup and cobb are primary receiving targets. then its witten, jarwin, pollard, zeke in some form or fashion....we also hear that pollard is not being used enough in passing game and that we are not throwing screens to the RB as much as we did in the past, and there is only one ball to go around. we get about 25 pass plays per game. so given about 20% goes to TEs, then that's about 7 targets per game....we are probably arguing over a 1 or 2 extra targets per game here or there......

the fact is that witten despite everything is still a better blocker than jarwin, and given about half the plays are run plays and we run a lot of 3 WR sets, then no room for running two TEs consistently and not want to put jarwin in to do run blocking at this time. so probably why witten is getting more snaps.....I am looking for breakdown of pass plays, with witten, jarwin and both in the game.

with that said, we have run more two TE sets than we have in the past (or it seems like it). so jarwin is getting in the game about 200+ snaps in the season about 20+ snaps per game.....lets say about ha3/4 of of those are pass plays, given 20% of them go to TEs (based on this year spread of targets) that's about 3 pass plays that Jarwin is in the game and TEs being targeted and in 10 games he has been targeted 22 times, that's about 2 per game.....

does he deserve more snaps? perhaps.... but again where is he in the pecking order of receiving targets...he maybe better than witten according to many (questionable in some areas, better in other areas). how many more snaps. you can't certainly feed everyone.....and he is not a Zach ertz, Kelce or among the top TEs in the league.

...with that said, my point is that he is not consistent, in the manner that he may not be getting open consistently, thus not targeted......he has been in 200+ snaps.. assuming he is in on pass plays mostly since he is not a blocking TE, then about 150+ snaps....he has been targeted 22 times...why not more? why is he not more consistently getting open? I don't think Dak makes discrimination one way or the other. he hits the open receiver when he sees them and when he can.

I think he is being used effectively. could we target him a few more times...perhaps. but he is not and should not be the focus of our game plan

and don't forget, we are nitpicking here...we are #1 offense. #1 passing offense. #4 scoring....why are we arguing about Jarwin!!! the 4th guy in the pecking order at best....probably the 6th guy is where he belongs.
There is no set pattern every game on who should get the most targets - or there shouldn't be. Sure, at the end of the season it should bear out that Cooper has the most, then Gallup, and then it can be any order after that. But realistically, Jarwin is on pace for 35 targets this season. Between 5 players or groups of players (Cooper, Cobb, Witten, Elliott, and "all others") they would only have to each lose an average less than 1/3 of a target less per game to get Jarwin up to 60 targets. That isn't a major cut in anyone's targets, and it is enough to make Jarwin a more consistent threat in the offense.

As for Witten being a better blocker, keep in mind I haven't even talked about snap count, I've talked about targets. It's possible to give Jarwin an extra target or two without any increase in snap count, and even if his snap count went up a mere 2% from 38% to 40%, that could give him one or two extra target opportunities.

As for arguing about him, I'm just telling you my opinion. I'm not suggesting a dramatic change in roles, just another target or two a game.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

And? Do you judge WRs by how well they block? No. You judge them by how well they make plays. As you just said, he's basically a WR. Use him as such. You think the Pats cared how well Gronk blocked? Or the Chiefs with Kelce? Chargers with Gates? And the list goes on. Jarwin isn't there to block. The issue is, the coaches aren't creative enough to create his own role so he just takes Witten's role and coaches and fans like you expect him to have the same role and make up as Witten. Jarwin is 10x more explosive. He stretches the field. Defenses have to account for him. Witten is none of that and is such a drag on this offense. I roll my eyes any time a pass goes to Witten.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
and the fans on this forum know who the best player is, perhaps we should point jerry to this board....

Jerry wouldn't care. Him and the coaches cater to Witten like he is owed something. I can't stand that he came back and is stunting the growth of Jarwin. He needs to be gone for good. He would be if he wasn't one of the worst announcers to ever take the booth.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Let's say we have a poor mans Travis Kelsey on this offense? Is it his blocking? We definitely need to utilize him more.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Not asking this implying anything one way or the other (really I'm not), but did anyone notice how many times the Lions doubled Witten? Just wondering as it escaped me real time, as do many other things.

I did find that interesting.

Matt comes from the school of Belichick?