How can this offense be fixed before our playoff game?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
At what point are we going to stop speculating, talking about, writing about, liking posts about, Romo being an offensive coordinator, or Qb coach, or anything relating to the Dallas Cowboys...besides his opinion coming from a booth while wearing a suit, tie and holding a microphone.

When is that going to happen? Obviously it hasn't yet but when?

And no I'm not looking for your answer so save it. Just my way of saying...Stop it.

Zordon

Reaction score
rediscover chemistry with beas.

jump pass to TE.

run the ball 3x....just try it once and see what happens. we haven't put it on tape so it might catch the D by surprise.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Far too late into the season to fix the offense. We just have to hope we can get by with it in the playoffs. Fixing the issues on offense is going to take a full offseason starting with an OC change.

Flamma

Reaction score
So we did it. We made the playoffs. Congrats to our Boys.

I think this defense is legit. The bend don't break philosophy irritates me sometimes, but we have a defense that will allow us to compete with the best teams in the playoffs.

Now the offense, thats a whole other story. What can we do to fix this offense, to avoid being 1 and done again?

Defense has to carry us, it's as simple as that.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Thankfully for the Cowboys, figuring out how to create a handful of scoring plays from inside the 5 is not revamping the entire offense and could be accomplished in a short window. I think it can be done. Inside the 10 is where the offense is broken right now. Teams are fine letting us run up and down the field and take time off the clock if it leads to 3 points.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Problem #1 is Linehan. He's a bigger problem than Dak. Creative schemes can overcome average QB play, but we can't see that because Linehan is trash. Dak and the O line are equally weighted issues IMO. With Linehan running the offense we'd need Drew Brees or Aaron rodgers at QB to be any good.

Zeke and the defense will need to carry the team in the playoffs

Kauboy

Reaction score
If there's a light switch, find it. But I suspect the lightbulb is burnt out. Gonna have to revamp the O in the offseason. Get a new OC. Have an offensive heavy draft. Get healthy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

I think this defense is legit. The bend don't break philosophy irritates me sometimes, but we have a defense that will allow us to compete with the best teams in the playoffs.

Now the offense, thats a whole other story. What can we do to fix this offense, to avoid being 1 and done again?

I was not happy with the defense today. Marinelli was going to back to his "bend but dont break" defense way too much. I think we'll see the
end of this when Richard takes over.

We need a new OC. The redzone play calling has been terrible all season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thankfully for the Cowboys, figuring out how to create a handful of scoring plays from inside the 5 is not revamping the entire offense and could be accomplished in a short window. I think it can be done. Inside the 10 is where the offense is broken right now. Teams are fine letting us run up and down the field and take time off the clock if it leads to 3 points.
Not by this staff

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The only way--the ONLY way--we have a shot in January is to ride Zeke like a show pony

25-28 carries a game and probably 6-8 receptions.
Zeke gets around 35 touches a game in January we have a shot

If we place the game in Daks hands it's over.

More runs by Dak help Zeke and help the offense. Lots of changes in play calling would help the offense.

Dump Linehan. It's the only near term improvement we can make.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Our offense never found itself. I've been waiting all season.

Both Garrett and Linehan come from being OCs. This is their offense. If this offensive philosophy was legit why doesn't get the results it needs? If we need probowlers on every position to make this offense work then why should Dak be criticized for needing talent?

The flaw with this offense it has so little room for flexibility. That's the failure I see with it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
use extra OL in the run game like seattle does...especially inside the red-zone.

and maybe Dak and Amari need to start changing plays again like they have before.

I agree...our defense can get us there....this offense tho is looking like it did when we were 3-5.
Did they try ANY deep shots to Amari's side?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
We need to committ to the run early, we seemed to get too pass happy even when we were having success on the ground early. Rod doesn't have much burst or wiggle, let's get Darius some reps this last game. Get Dak running a bit more, some pitch options, a couple designed runs.

I do have some concerns about the defense, these last 2 games teams have been moving the ball too consistently. Barber and Mack both got pretty good yardage on early downs and let them complete too many easy passes. Just looking much softer the last couple games than they did before.

WhizKid

Reaction score

Zeke needs like 25 carries in the game and at least 5 catches. Also, Dak has to work on pocket presence from here on out along with quicker reads. Gallup and Amari need to always be on the field together. Hurns should just work as the backup slot WR to Cole. Dallas also needs to work on more middle to deep passing plays to diversify the passing game a bit. Stop using screens on third and long (HB or bubble). There is a lot really, I just hope the coaching staff is pointing this out and offering remedies.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not by this staff

I think this staff could do better with a little addition by subtraction. Dump Linehan. Let Garrett call the game.

Maybe even with Linehan. Dak has looked worse the more Linehan has taken over the offense. Dak probably got an emergency offense in 2016. They weren't shy about running Dak, because they weren't trying to preserve their "franchise QB". They weren't trying to make him into something, they weren't trying to make the offense they wanted, they were trying to make the best of what we had.

If they took the current ineptitude of the offense seriously, and the chance afforded by getting into the playoffs with a defense playing this well, they *could* sell out on what can work for Dak and this offense for the playoffs.

We don't have the oline of 2016, but still a pretty good one. Same QB. Same RB. Much better WRs. Plus Austin (maybe).

2016ish Offense + 2018 Defense. That's actually a contender.

I've talked myself into a little hope. But it requires them to make a break from the current offense. From their thinking about it. Garrett seems pretty dogged in sticking to bad beliefs. Boy genius.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’d rest Zeke
The running game isn’t the problem
Force the offense to work on the pass game

I was thinking of that too.

If they actually played Dak, and *really* played him next week, that would be a sign that they're serious about making changes to the offense for the playoffs. They should be.

Most likely, Dak sits and we ride the offensive shitshow into the playoffs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s how Eli has two rings.

I don’t think he ever had to score more than 21 points in the two SB runs.

But Eli would take shots down the field. Give the WRs a chance to make a play. We haven't been doing that lately.