How did Wade Phillips get fired so quickly?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Our offense turned the ball over four times against the Jaguars.. Dallas only scored 3 points until the fourth, where they scored two TDs.. Garrett was absolutely awful between quarters two and three with three and outs during that season.

The Jaguars also went 8-4 to close the season, starting with a win a game before the Cowboys..

Again, I want to remind you that I do not think Garrett is a good coach. I never even remotely said that. At all.

I did say that the defense was playing bad as a point of emphasis. If Offense is playing bad, Special teams is playing bad and the defense is running bottom third in yards allowed instead of propping the team up then there is literally no reason to keep Wade Phillips. That team was toast.

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, I want to remind you that I do not think Garrett is a good coach. I never even remotely said that. At all.

I did say that the defense was playing bad as a point of emphasis. If Offense is playing bad, Special teams is playing bad and the defense is running bottom third in yards allowed instead of propping the team up then there is literally no reason to keep Wade Phillips. That team was toast.

The problem with that argument as we saw is that the very OC that was forced on Wade, which Wade says we needed a guy like Dan Reeves to oversee the runnning game because JG couldn’t do it was ultimately proven true per Jerry’s own words when he brought in Linehan..

So instead of listening to the actual HC who couldn’t do anything about the offense, such as tell his OC that we need to run or to try and slow down, Jerry wasted Wade’s years here on what could have been..

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
One of their TDs in the second half was a special teams return by Percy Harvin..

Our first two drives of the second half were basically three and outs, the drives being a total of like thirty seconds each. We scored on a TD making it 21 to tie the game and the last drive was another 3 and out.

We couldn’t sustain and drives to keep the defense off the field.

Minnesota’s first TD was an INT off Romo in Dallas territory with 16 yards for a TD.

Romo wasn’t even involved in offensive game planning then. Our success was in hurry-up, definitely not Garrett’s game planning..

I need to go watch some of the games from that year again. I think was dez’s First td game and i think Austin made a great catch on this game somewhere. He made a great one against the titans game Dallas got screwed on from the officials throwing the flag on columbo for celebrating

khiladi

Reaction score
I need to go watch some of the games from that year again. I think was dez’s First td game and i think Austin made a great catch on this game somewhere. He made a great one against the titans game Dallas got screwed on from the officials throwing the flag on columbo for celebrating

Don’t know how you can tolerate the pain again...

:muttley:

CWR

Reaction score
Crayton wasn’t even on the team when Wade was fired.

Lol figures. Honestly back then I may have recently purchased my first smart phone, or was about to. I didn't have apps for Dallas radio and Cowboy podcast and wasnt parked in front of a laptop all that often so my Cowboy sources were alot more limited. I think I went to the ranch for info, but not like Im on here.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Wade Phillips was 34-22 as coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

He had one terrible year but was always above .500 each of his three previous years.

Jason Garrett has never had back to back years above .500.

In 7 years as head coach has only gone to the playoffs twice and is 1-2 in playoff games...

Stunned that Jason Garrett is still the head coach and I'm stunned that he still has apologist out there. His win percentage is much lower than Wade Phillips'. And while he has the same playoff record as Garrett, he won as many division titles as Garret in half the time.
I don't know, he did not clap and slap butts as well as the current headcoach ?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Wade Phillips is a very very good defensive coordinator, and he's proven that over years on the job. When he was here he was simply a scapegoat for our lack of talent. When he has some talent his defenses are crazy good.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Garrett reminds me of the Ralph Fiennes character in the movie Quiz Show. A child of privilege (in this case football), trying to follow in his dad's footsteps knowing deep down he is faking it.

Plankton

Reaction score
Phillips didn't get fired too quickly - he got fired one week too late, minimally.

The week before the Packer game, against the Jaguars at home, the Cowboys got smoked by a very mediocre Jacksonville team. In that game, the defense laid down in the second half. After the game, at the press conference, Phillips was asked what was wrong with the team, and how do you fix it. He actually replied, "I don't know."

He should have been fired immediately following that press conference. He proved to be a man of his word the following week with the disaster against the Packers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The team scored 161 points under Wade Phillips and magically scored 233 points in the second half of the season under Garrett...

The difference is 20.13 points per game versus 29.13 points per game. That's literally going from the top of the bottom 3rd to the best in the league...

Garrett wouldnt run the ball under Wade that year. He would abandon the run after the first drive. The 2nd half of the season I believe we were the #1 rushing team in the NFL. And we had Romo the first half and Kitna the 2nd half. Says it all right there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Phillips didn't get fired too quickly - he got fired one week too late, minimally.

The week before the Packer game, against the Jaguars at home, the Cowboys got smoked by a very mediocre Jacksonville team. In that game, the defense laid down in the second half. After the game, at the press conference, Phillips was asked what was wrong with the team, and how do you fix it. He actually replied, "I don't know."

He should have been fired immediately following that press conference. He proved to be a man of his word the following week with the disaster against the Packers.

For my money, Wade should have been fired after the 2nd season. Wade was in no way a great coach or up to the standards for this team. After his 13-3 season he should have been given another try. Once the 2nd season went bad we should have moved on. Definitely not to Garrett though.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Lawwwd, people so butthurt they're just revising history now.

No kidding.

The question should be: Why does JG still have a job? The answer: Jerry believes he is close and just needs to tweak things here and there. He does not want another rebuilding project.

More than likely, both coordinators are gone if Dallas does not make the playoffs. JG will continue to clap away on the sidelines until the Super Bowl window is closed.