How do they fix the run game

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Step 1. You make running the ball a priority.
Step 2. Brink in a new run game coordinator to help Kellen design runs.
Step 2a. You have got to do better designing pass and run plays from the same formations, using the same motions, setting up exactly the same before the snap.
Step 3. You bring in a fresh couple of RB prospects every year and play whoever is most effective. Feed the hot hand that day.

I'm with you except advise caution on "Step 3".

If you keep rotating to find the "hot hand"...you may never find it. Some RB's...and their prospective O-line/scheme.....take a little time to develop. But you keep on beating them up. It's what Ronnie preaches...the run game allows the O-line to go after people, move and hit. A stout run block should eventually wear them down.

The pass game often goes on the defensive where you have to hold your ground.

Our run game blocking has looked more like pass game blocking where we just make a wall and get beat up on it from the attacking defense. Then claim zeke sucks.

Reactions: CWR

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Will Zeke and Pollard be healthy next year? Also the OL could use some new faces. I’m just not sure how they can fix the run game in one offseason. I think they need a mid round RB and an early OL pick for starters. I also think Ceedee will have to transform into a monster WR next year.

The defense needs some help too so can they fix all this? I guess I would build in the trenches, but it seams to work better if there is an off-season theme like fix the run game or the defense. What would you do? I suppose I would go OL, DL, RB, LB.
Get rid of Zeke. Install Pollard as a starter. Draft Zeke’s replacement in the 4th or 5th round. Draft two interior linemen with the 1st through 3rd round pick.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It is an issue, but the biggest issue is terrible run game scheming. See RonnieT.

Yeah the first thing I was going to post about fixing the running game is just use it. The Cowboys record when running more than they throw since Dak came into the league is ridiculous. It's like 31-0. Beyond that their record when Zeke gets 20 carries is almost as good.. Not quite undefeated but > 80% win rate. Even if you believe will never be the dominant back he was 2-3 years ago, even in these last two or three abominated seasons with regard to running the ball, the Cowboys are like 10-3 when giving Zeke the ball 20 times.

But to your point, if they ARE going to try to run the ball more they absolutely have to fix the scheme. That starts up front obviously. Whatever the blocking schemes are on the between the tackles running plays are need to be scrapped completely. I refuse to believe our guys are so stupid that they can miss obvious assignments as often as we see. That means the assignments are broken. Connor Williams got pushed around some early in his career but he was not running away from guys darting into the backfield and then being forced to hold constantly. Biadasz was lauded for his intelligence coming in but we repeatedly see him helping ZACK FRIGGIN MARTIN!!!! while ignoring the middle linebacker who comes in untouched and blows up our play in the backfield. We all know that Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin are terrible blockers. Yet we continue to call run plays where theirs is the key block that will afford the backs a clean path to the outside or a cutback lane. I don't know if McKeon is any better.. but if he's not, we need a tight end who can at least get in the way of the backside DE upwards of 99% of the time.

I don't know if you put these flawed schemes on Moore or Philbin (or both) but if those don't change then neither will our running game no matter who you draft or acquire in trade. You could bring in Rayfield Wright, Larry Allen, Erik Williams, Mark Stepnoski and Nate Newton and they still wouldn't block the right guy if their assignment is the wrong guy. The only reason the running game worked early in the season is that Zeke and Pollard were Supermen.. They would break tackles in the backfield and turn nothing into something routinely. Once Zeke got hurt he could no longer do that and soon enough Pollard got hurt too.. Yes they will come back healthy and be able to be Supermen again.. until they get beaten down again from all the beatings they take from having to fight off 300 pound guys just to get back to the line of scrimmage and in Zeke's case stepping in front of leaking pass rushers to save Dak's skin. I just depressed myself typing this again..

RaZon

Reaction score
Need a 230 pound banger with 4.4 jets, they are out there just a matter of tracking them down, hell get ya a couple big physical runners guys who wear down an a defense hell alternate them then pound pound pound the rock. Life at third and 2/3 beats the hell out of third and 7/8.

Zeke has no zoom, he has to go. Pollard in the slot doing a Deebo thing.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need a more even mix of Zeke and Pollard. You can't give Zeke 20 carries a game and expect him to be healthy all year. We should have sat him when he first got injured and made him sit until he was back to 100%.

He literally torpedoed the run game all by himself by somehow pushing his way onto the field.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
To "fix the run game", they need to fix the Oline first.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Need a 230 pound banger with 4.4 jets, they are out there just a matter of tracking them down, hell get ya a couple big physical runners guys who wear down an a defense hell alternate them then pound pound pound the rock. Life at third and 2/3 beats the hell out of third and 7/8.

Zeke has no zoom, he has to go. Pollard in the slot doing a Deebo thing.

Zeke was fine before he got hurt. But frankly asking him to always be having to break tackles in the backfield AND act as Dak's personal protector is shortening not only his career but his life expectancy. As for "pound the rock?" Are you not aware of who our OC is?

RaZon

Reaction score
Zeke was fine before he got hurt. But frankly asking him to always be having to break tackles in the backfield AND act as Dak's personal protector is shortening not only his career but his life expectancy. As for "pound the rock?" Are you not aware of who our OC is?

I get your thing for Zeke, yes great RB but.......he has lost a step and we can all see it. Pollard doesn't help with his quicks next to Zeke's lack of it.

Remember Marion Barber, we need somebody like him, a guy who can bang and likes it. That's not Zeke.

Offensive line got Zeke a 4.2 average, that is all ya need, 4 and 4 is 8., third and 2....bingo!

We need this,...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And use some tosses and off tackle runs. Not just the same up the gut runs.. Get a TE that can seal a block or the edge..

I agree, I having nothing against toss sweeps but NFL defense are quick and can get to the edges and stop it if your TE is not able to seal the edge. If Schultz is somehow back with us next year this is something he must improve on, I know he is better than he showed this season, after all at Stanford he was mainly used as a blocking TE

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some where you may want to add getting LG and Center who are not getting pushed backwards and better blocking on the edge by TE.

Better scheme and run designs will lessen the need for a Hof at every OL position. Having the best players you can get at all positions is always the goal. I'm going boa in the draft, if they are there cool but you got to help whomever you have performe too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Better scheme and run designs will lessen the need for a Hof at every OL position. Having the best players you can get at all positions is always the goal. I'm going boa in the draft, if they are there cool but you got to help whomever you have performe too.

scheme can only do so much. I said nothing about putting HOF player all along the OL but there is no scheme that allows for G and C getting blown up

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Steele at RT and Collins at LG would be a start. You could probably draft the top 1 or 2 rated center in the 2nd round. Then draft or get a FA LT to have as backup for the inevitable games Tyron misses.
Funny people think Steele is a good run blocker...when just the opposite is true.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
2A means you need a TE that can actually block and we dont have one. If they pay one of those guys big money I'm going to lose my mind. If they have value trade them and get a decent 2 way TE...we have pass catchers we should be using already.
This. Our TE's are probably the worst group of blocking TE's in the league.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

This ...we shouldn't need 5 all pro o-lineman to move the ball. We allow teams to exploit our weakness all game and thats a Scheme issue. Absolutley look for upgrades but a good blocking TE would do wonders for this offense. Again I'm glad both TE have proven good in the passing game...but niether is worth anything at blocking and I have better options at WR to basically be a slot guy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree, I having nothing against toss sweeps but NFL defense are quick and can get to the edges and stop it if your TE is not able to seal the edge. If Schultz is somehow back with us next year this is something he must improve on, I know he is better than he showed this season, after all at Stanford he was mainly used as a blocking TE
Also heard after Jarwin got hurt in the vikings game we quit using the 12 personnel. I know we had a run for a while where O-Line players were banged up but after we got healthy I didn’t see us use it anymore. We had such good play for that stretch I wonder why. It’s like the whole second half of the season every thing was changed up. I think we will get a TE at some point either using a draft pick or maybe look at some undrafted FA. We need O-Line early in the draft and DT. What ever comes to us. Someone usually slides to us. But these first 4 or 5 picks need to be on. I don’t want to see JJ use our second rounder on a troubled or injured player. Need immediate impact starter.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm with you except advise caution on "Step 3".

If you keep rotating to find the "hot hand"...you may never find it. Some RB's...and their prospective O-line/scheme.....take a little time to develop. But you keep on beating them up. It's what Ronnie preaches...the run game allows the O-line to go after people, move and hit. A stout run block should eventually wear them down.

The pass game often goes on the defensive where you have to hold your ground.

Our run game blocking has looked more like pass game blocking where we just make a wall and get beat up on it from the attacking defense. Then claim zeke sucks.

Rb's drop off do fast. That Philip Lyndsey kid was signed the same year the broncos drafted 2 other guys yet Lindsey beat them out. The next year he was nowhere near as good. They can drop off fast. You have to have a plan for when Zeke struggles and if the backup is running better that day, keep it going. They too worried about perception and feelings.