How do they fix the run game

fivetwos

Reaction score
we have had two years to fix our run game and have done nothing about it...nothing leads me to believe anything will change and will inevitably get worse as Zach and Ty continue to age while the others on the line who knows
Yep.

Our coordinator with zero prior coaching experience decides that "yards are yards" lol.

It won't as much as take the time to explain how ridiculous that is.

I'll just assume that most of you agree.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Goes back to having Doogie Howser OC in charge...to me it starts with him or the HC and I dont believe the HC has any says so about the offense because of the owner. I could be wrong.
Your likely right. He was there when he was hired. MM brought in his own staff with that exception. We will see this season because IMO MM maybe on a bit of a hot seat. Especially if we pick up where we left off in the playoffs with the crappy or sketchy playcalling. If MM had power he will take over play calling for a while. Or let Dak start calling his own plays. I remember after some years Romo had the plays on his wrist and called them for a while. Not sure Dak is there yet. He needs his confidence back first of all. That can be done by calling plays to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Some quick hitting short passes to get the ball out and spread it around. Run game and the longer stuff will open up. Let’s see what kind of shape Dak and Elliot and Pollard are in after a full offseason of rest and TC. We may have some new faces to throw the ball to..

glimmerman

Reaction score
We got way more than normal this year. Though we are always high on the penalty list compared to those we play.
Williams jumping and holding needs to be sorted. Maybe move Collins and put Steele in. We will have a few new guys in the line this season. I think Williams time maybe up here. The center is on the hot seat..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep.

Our coordinator with zero prior coaching experience decides that "yards are yards" lol.

It won't as much as take the time to explain how ridiculous that is.

I'll just assume that most of you agree.
Getting that JJ on the job training. He knows his job is safe. Had the #1 Offense but cant beat teams throwing it all day. He knows if we run as much as we pass we usually win. Mix up the run calling would be a good start. We will see. The 12 wins was good but no playoff wins won’t work..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the run game is probably going to suffer as long as the TEN TOE MEDIOCRE SLOTH is sitting in the pocket. The Boys are stuck with a SLOTH who is way too slow reading defenses and finding open RECs & TEs. The SLOTH doesn't have the skills to get to the next level, he refuses to throw anything deep anymore. Defenses are daring him to throw the ball with the way they are stacking the box and the SLOTH will sit in the pocket squeezing the air out of the ball while his O-Linemen are busting their a$$e$ trying to get him more time in the pocket than the law will allows. Recs & TEs are running free, wide-open down field and the SLOTH refuses to throw the dam ball and when he does most of his passes are off target. The running backs are getting creamed because there are no holes to be found because they're all plugged up with eleven players playing near the line of scrimmage down after down. If there's no passing game, then you can bet the house that there won't be a running game either with the TEN TOE MEDIOCRE SLOTH as our Field General!!!!!!!!!
They need shorter passes and he needs to stop trying to get 6 on every pass. Set the long pass up. Throw a freaking slant or seam play.. Maybe the play call or him refusing to look at shorter passes. When he hits shorter passes and let our play makers get the YAC it works much better..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Williams jumping and holding needs to be sorted. Maybe move Collins and put Steele in. We will have a few new guys in the line this season. I think Williams time maybe up here. The center is on the hot seat..
I like the versatility of Zion Johnson. He would be a solid addition.

Then again he neither plays corner or sells jerseys, so the FO may not value him the way others may.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’d love to blame it all on #21 but the truth of the matter is it’s scheming and blocking as well as a much slower zeke. I’d rather have pollard run more but he can’t take the punishment that zeke can

I would be drafting a RB this draft just not at #21 . taking zeke at 4 was one of the dumbest moves this front office has done even though it was meant to be a final piece for ole brokeback. You still don’t do it

ondaedg

Reaction score
Many of Derrick Henry’s longest runs of the last four seasons he is untouched for 8-10yds. The year he rushed for 2k he had something like 13 runs where first contact didn’t occur until he was 11 yds or more past the line of scrimmage. It’s all about the OL and the blocking scheme.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’d love to blame it all on #21 but the truth of the matter is it’s scheming and blocking as well as a much slower zeke. I’d rather have pollard run more but he can’t take the punishment that zeke can

I would be drafting a RB this draft just not at #21 . taking zeke at 4 was one of the dumbest moves this front office has done even though it was meant to be a final piece for ole brokeback. You still don’t do it
He won’t do that again..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Getting that JJ on the job training. He knows his job is safe. Had the #1 Offense but cant beat teams throwing it all day. He knows if we run as much as we pass we usually win. Mix up the run calling would be a good start. We will see. The 12 wins was good but no playoff wins won’t work..
In all seriousness, I cannot understand why he insists on taking a no experience guy and thinking he can turn him into some sort of his own genius.

Again.

Guess he figures if he can't even get out of round two of the playoffs, let alone win titles, maybe he can find the next Tom Landry.

Delusion. Ego. Stubborn. Awful self evaluation. Worse evaluation of others.

It's way too difficult and competitive in this league to overcome. Need top coaching in the cap era and the ego won't have it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas had 127 most in the league. On avg Cowboys are normally middle of the pack in terms of penalties, but this year yeah way too many

I knew this year was off buy a good bit. The question is why. CW was never the greastest but why so many flags this year? Same with the rest of the OL seems like they all got a few more than normal.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Stop forcing Zeke the ball. The other running backs did so much better yet Jones insisted they play zeke.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I cannot understand why he insists on taking a no experience guy and thinking he can turn him into some sort of his own genius.

Again.

Guess he figures if he can't even get out of round two of the playoffs, let alone win titles, maybe he can find the next Tom Landry.

Delusion. Ego. Stubborn. Awful self evaluation. Worse evaluation of others.

It's way too difficult and competitive in this league to overcome. Need top coaching in the cap era and the ego won't have it.
The good coaches wants control. MM got to bring everyone in except the OC. JJ has to have control of something. If Moore is no better this season I wonder if at some point MM tries to take over play calling. Would love to see him trying during a game. How fast would that phone ring on the sidelines.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The good coaches wants control. MM got to bring everyone in except the OC. JJ has to have control of something. If Moore is no better this season I wonder if at some point MM tries to take over play calling. Would love to see him trying during a game. How fast would that phone ring on the sidelines.
Haha....I'm not so sure he cares enough to do that.

MM will leave Dallas with someone to blame.

I do wonder if him saying he wanted Moore was as much of a lie as the film thing.

Between McCarthy and Jerry picking coordinators....my goodness!

Quinn did much more with less, and Moore did the exact opposite, but Jerry Jones likes to quintuple down on dumb instead of pulling the plug early.

Remember after like year four of Garrett, someone mentioned the idea of moving on from him.

Jerry actually agreed, then said we wouldn't reap all the benefits of all he learned the last few years.

It's part insanity and part needing to be able to push the coach around.

How's that supposed to add up, and/or be in line with doing "anything to win?"

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Seriously though, what could Jerry actually do about it? Here is what MM needs to understand, if they lose he is gone and will get the blame from JJ, if he over rides Jerry's pet cat he could win and what could Jerry do other than say "I was on board the whole time". If they lose MM is gone anyway and at least he got canned on his own coaching....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I knew this year was off buy a good bit. The question is why. CW was never the greastest but why so many flags this year? Same with the rest of the OL seems like they all got a few more than normal.

I think when you had Frederick and then Looney next to him they could provide some help to his side, with Biadasz struggling in his own right there was not much help.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I do wonder if him saying he wanted Moore was as much of a lie as the film thing.

Quinn did much more with less, and Moore did the exact opposite, but Jerry Jones likes to quintuple down on dumb instead of pulling the plug early.

Remember after like year four of Garrett, someone mentioned the idea of moving on from him.

Jerry actually agreed, then said we wouldn't reap all the benefits of all he learned the last few years.

I dont think MM gets another gig after this...he either makes this work or is OC and then out the league.

glimmerman

Reaction score

JJ wants to win but do it his way. Hasn’t worked since the last SB we won..

Big_D

Reaction score
Stop pretending Zeke is an elite RB. It’s killing them. And will likely continue to kill them until he’s no longer on the team. Can’t have a bloated way over paid contract dictating touches.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Seriously though, what could Jerry actually do about it? Here is what MM needs to understand, if they lose he is gone and will get the blame from JJ, if he over rides Jerry's pet cat he could win and what could Jerry do other than say "I was on board the whole time". If they lose MM is gone anyway and at least he got canned on his own coaching....
That’s what was gonna happen with JG. He asked for one more year and that’s what he was going to do. He was going out his own way. He wanted to call the plays and run it. Lose on his own terms. JJ knew it was coming and fired him. MM would have to pull it during a game. Right before kickoff tell Moore he is calling the plays. Lol. Moore would be on the phone calling JJ so fast..

Let’s say next year Moore is doing the same things as second half of the season. It’s half way through the season and teams are starting to separate themselves and our season is hanging in the balance and we are playing the hottest team going.

We take the field and MM tells Moore he is calling the plays. Before the kickoff happens JJ will know, Moore would be on the phone in 2 seconds. MM would likely have the first half to prove himself. What would he have to lose. If we are getting shutout he will have to turn over the playcalling to Moore. JJ will blame MM and he will take his lumps. Maybe gone after the year. But if we were shutting the other team out it would be interesting to see what happened. JJ might let him call the plays and work with MM to teach him. I think right now Moore is in full control of it. Would be a riff and hard feelings for sure either way.