How do they fix the run game

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Also heard after Jarwin got hurt in the vikings game we quit using the 12 personnel. I know we had a run for a while where O-Line players were banged up but after we got healthy I didn’t see us use it anymore. We had such good play for that stretch I wonder why. It’s like the whole second half of the season every thing was changed up. I think we will get a TE at some point either using a draft pick or maybe look at some undrafted FA. We need O-Line early in the draft and DT. What ever comes to us. Someone usually slides to us. But these first 4 or 5 picks need to be on. I don’t want to see JJ use our second rounder on a troubled or injured player. Need immediate impact starter.

I agree.

Ken

Reaction score
It isn't that hard to fix imo.

1. Have to split the time between Pollard and Zeke at a minimum next year. These 6 touches for Pollard has to be a thing of the past...if anything...Zeke needs those type of games. Make no mistake, i would be all for cutting zeke if his cap hit wasn't so ridiculous. Since we are stuck with him, this needs to happen.
2. Draft some lineman in the draft. Keep restocking and retooling. Doesn't HAVE to be in the first round but I wouldn't be opposed to it.
3. Try and find a Kearse type of deal in FA for the OL.
4. Draft an explosive rb somewhere in the draft that can also double as Kick Returner. We need someone who can handle the KR and get a few carries here and there and fill in for an injury.
5. Actually commit to running the ball. We get away from it way too easily.

Do all of these things and we are rocking next year!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This ...we shouldn't need 5 all pro o-lineman to move the ball. We allow teams to exploit our weakness all game and thats a Scheme issue. Absolutley look for upgrades but a good blocking TE would do wonders for this offense. Again I'm glad both TE have proven good in the passing game...but niether is worth anything at blocking and I have better options at WR to basically be a slot guy.

That's all I'm saying. You said it better thanks. How we design and teach them to block can drastically make a difference.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This ...we shouldn't need 5 all pro o-lineman to move the ball. We allow teams to exploit our weakness all game and thats a Scheme issue. Absolutley look for upgrades but a good blocking TE would do wonders for this offense. Again I'm glad both TE have proven good in the passing game...but niether is worth anything at blocking and I have better options at WR to basically be a slot guy.
MM needs to do away with his buddy O-Line coach. Or Moore needs to run to daddy and tell him to fire him.. Go back to power run game. Get these guys blocking who is in front of them and stop helping each other unless the play is designed for it with a lead blocker to take out the line backer.. Used to have these guys in the second level.. They ain’t old.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
It's hard to pin blame on the OL coach specifically instead of player talent but it sure looked like they were underperforming. Moore needs help (or to be replaced) and it doesn't look like Philbin or McCarthy are providing any help at all.

Can you blame them? With all the hype JJ gave about KM You would KM was the second coming and doesn't need help and that he knows everything... It didn't help any matters when JJ told MM (the day JJ hired him) that KM was going to be the one scheming and calling plays and not to interfere... This was all over the sports shows and news. MM and Philbin just did what they were told by the boss....

CoachD

Reaction score
Very easy fix..........They need to draft a very powerful center to anchor that line like Frederick did because Biadasz isn't getting the job done problem solved.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
MM needs to do away with his buddy O-Line coach. Or Moore needs to run to daddy and tell him to fire him.. Go back to power run game. Get these guys blocking who is in front of them and stop helping each other unless the play is designed for it with a lead blocker to take out the line backer.. Used to have these guys in the second level.. They ain’t old.

Lets be honest Philbin has proven more in this league than KM...If i am firing Philbin then I am saying KM scheme works...I can not say that. Philbin like every coach on this staff is dealing with the owners pet OC and I'm sure they all love it alot.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Can you blame them? With all the hype JJ gave about KM You would KM was the second coming and doesn't need help and that he knows everything... It didn't help any matters when JJ told MM (the day JJ hired him) that KM was going to be the one scheming and calling plays and not to interfere... This was all over the sports shows and news. MM and Philbin just did what they were told by the boss....
Then Moore needs to talk to JJ. Have him replace philibin..

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
And lose some of these penalties. Never seen so many. Ruins big plays and kills drives. 3rd and 12 all day sucks..

Goes back to having Doogie Howser OC in charge...to me it starts with him or the HC and I dont believe the HC has any says so about the offense because of the owner. I could be wrong.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Very easy fix..........They need to draft a very powerful center to anchor that line like Frederick did because Biadasz isn't getting the job done problem solved.

Again why are we the only team that needs 5 all pro O-line men to move the ball?

CoachD

Reaction score
Again why are we the only team that needs 5 all pro O-line men to move the ball?
Good point but I think the big reason is at center, Biadasz gets blown off the LOS way too much which collapses too many running lanes.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Or get him someone to teach him.

Don't forget, this poor bastidge got his teaching from JG and Linehan. Doubt if anyone can run the ball learning from those rockbrains.
If he needs training wheels the he isn’t ready to be an OC. Demote him and get an OC or let McCarthy run the offense with Moore as his understudy.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
You don't need 5 all pro linemen on the o-line. It doesn't take an all pro to stop a rush attack... If 5 rookies can do it, that would be just as awesome. The problem lies the sizes of our O- linemen. They are getting manhandled and thrown around... Especially the center, LG and LT... . Nevermind that our Tight Ends don't block worth a crap.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Good point but I think the big reason is at center, Biadasz gets blown off the LOS way too much which collapses too many running lanes.

Yes and more teams have Baidazz than have Fread beard....they scheme better to help as D-lineman move around to get matchups. We however just line up and "Beat the man in front of you" ....JG is still in this building he just has huge front teeth now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We got way more than normal this year. Though we are always high on the penalty list compared to those we play.

Dallas had 127 most in the league. On avg Cowboys are normally middle of the pack in terms of penalties, but this year yeah way too many

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Will Zeke and Pollard be healthy next year? Also the OL could use some new faces. I’m just not sure how they can fix the run game in one offseason. I think they need a mid round RB and an early OL pick for starters. I also think Ceedee will have to transform into a monster WR next year.

The defense needs some help too so can they fix all this? I guess I would build in the trenches, but it seams to work better if there is an off-season theme like fix the run game or the defense. What would you do? I suppose I would go OL, DL, RB, LB.
Unfortunately, the run game is probably going to suffer as long as the TEN TOE MEDIOCRE SLOTH is sitting in the pocket. The Boys are stuck with a SLOTH who is way too slow reading defenses and finding open RECs & TEs. The SLOTH doesn't have the skills to get to the next level, he refuses to throw anything deep anymore. Defenses are daring him to throw the ball with the way they are stacking the box and the SLOTH will sit in the pocket squeezing the air out of the ball while his O-Linemen are busting their a$$e$ trying to get him more time in the pocket than the law will allows. Recs & TEs are running free, wide-open down field and the SLOTH refuses to throw the dam ball and when he does most of his passes are off target. The running backs are getting creamed because there are no holes to be found because they're all plugged up with eleven players playing near the line of scrimmage down after down. If there's no passing game, then you can bet the house that there won't be a running game either with the TEN TOE MEDIOCRE SLOTH as our Field General!!!!!!!!!

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I think its entirely possible to "fix" the run game in one offseason.

They probably need one starting OL and another RB with some life in his legs to compliment Pollard.

Of course it's about the staff getting the most out of what they have but we fail time and time again doing that.

They also need to not start guys based on being stuck with the contract....as well as understand that "yards are yards" isn't at all true.

In the end I'm not sure it's about fixing things as much as the coaches flawed philosophy.

Only one way to correct that and it ain't happening.

Moore is exactly like Garrett. Doesn't have enough experience to be effective and the team pays the price.

Jerry meanwhile thinks he can create his own genius puppet by letting him learn on the job, and saddle the current HC with that guy.

The guy seriously treats failure like success sometimes.

And we continue to wonder......
we have had two years to fix our run game and have done nothing about it...nothing leads me to believe anything will change and will inevitably get worse as Zach and Ty continue to age while the others on the line who knows