How do we compare to Pats and Falcons now

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys remain a franchise devoted to the offensive side of the ball. And there are two more big deals coming down the pike when Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott sit down in the next year or two to negotiate their second contracts. There's also that $8.9 million salary-cap hit the Cowboys must absorb in 2018 for Romo's retirement.

So how do you succeed with this philosophy? You draft quality young defenders and put them on the field. The sooner they contribute, the longer they can contribute. That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlton, Awuzie and Lewis all in the starting lineup on opening night against the New York Giants. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Woods start some games as a rookie.

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...wboys-much-just-meet-positional-needs-defense

beacamdim

Reaction score
Atlanta has to get out of their division first. Tampa and the Saints are coming

True. And also true about the Cowboys. Atlanta and NE are irrelevant if you don't get past NYG, Wash, and PHI -- all of which improved as well over the weekend. Each has their flaws, but it is folly to think that Dallas' have disappeared by replacing their defensive backfield with rookies. They all have talent and upside, and may become a new Legion of Boom, but they will have growing pains. And Jeffrey, Pryor, Reed, OBJ, Marshall, Shepard, etc. are licking their chops, too. Should be some fun battles in the NFCE this season.

WeaponX

Reaction score
if the rush requires it Dak can scramble
Agreed - but again I wouldn't necessarily characterize him as a scrambling QB in the context that was given in this discussion. I didn't see a whole lot myself that would make me question his longevity due to taking the extra hits that "scrambling" QBs do.

Pants

Reaction score
I want to see how Dallas compares to NY, Phil, Wash first....no one has won the division in consecutive years in a while, so let's get there first...then we can talk about these others

Note: if not for Carr going down, I think Brady would have watched the SB on TV

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Pats - traded to upgrade WR with Cook and acquire Ealy, signed top CB in Gilmore, resigned a lot of their better FAs including Hightower. Kept Garoppolo
Falcons - signed top DT in Poe, grabbed Tak in front of Cowboys to bookend with their 17-sack RDE.
Until this team can win a game when it matters there is no comparison imo.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I want to see how Dallas compares to NY, Phil, Wash first....no one has won the division in consecutive years in a while, so let's get there first...then we can talk about these others

Note: if not for Carr going down, I think Brady would have watched the SB on TV

we were 13-3 last year.
the big problem was the passrush.
the DB crisis was caused by the desire to save $.
now that it is over and forced us to spend 2nd and 3rd round picks, the same question is if there is a passrush.
if we have to worry about 2nd tier teams (not that good), then we are better off tanking and getting better draft picks. to complete the defense.

WeaponX

Reaction score
a significant % of threat dak represents is the run.
Don't disagree with you at all, but the context of this discussion was the longevity of Matt Ryan's career and the example was given vs a scrambler "like Dak". The threat of running and doing it often (and taking the extra hits associated) are two different things, and Dak did a pretty good job of avoiding extra hits last year for the most part. I don't see his ability to run at this point being any kind of career length red flag.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Don't disagree with you at all, but the context of this discussion was the longevity of Matt Ryan's career and the example was given vs a scrambler "like Dak". The threat of running and doing it often (and taking the extra hits associated) are two different things, and Dak did a pretty good job of avoiding extra hits last year for the most part. I don't see his ability to run at this point being any kind of career length red flag.

by the time Dak is less of a running threat, his passing skills should be improved over now.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Matty Melt is some how getting a pass from the greatest choke job in NFL history.

Ryan had a hand in it, but he was not to blame for the SB collapse.

I pin the idiot tag on the OC for not handing the ball off to close out the game after the Jones catch- an egregious mistake. In totality,
Matt Ryan made enough plays to warrant a Super Bowl victory. He was betrayed by his coaching staff and a spotty defense that mailed in their effort at the end of the 3rd Q.