How do you like your steaks?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Kind of the same with me, minus the MW-W part. My girlfriend(now wife) could not eat a steak if it was even pink inside, had to be "cooked". Also, she hated seafood and one night we went to Joes Crabshack because I was craving their BBQ Dungeness crab. She sat at the bar while I ate :laugh: She still can't/won't eat crawfish but likes shrimp and halibut now.......loves it along with the crab! Oh, she complains when her steak is over Medium too.

A side note for those who may not know:

That is not actual blood coming out of your under-cooked steak, so no need to get freaked out!

i cannot even get my wife to walk in Joes Crab shack. She decides if the food is good or not just by the name, and if it relates to seafood or fish I can forget it. If fish, crab or seafood is in the name of the place, I wont be eating there with the wife. Very frustrating because I love seafood. Only one that I have a shot as is Red Lobster and that is because she ate their biscuits there one time and loved them.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Yeah, ditto on the blood thing..hate when I hear, eww it's bloody. I've found after grilling if you just microwave it for a minute no more pink, for the picky folks...ahem, women..ducks

that is why i gave up on grilling. I would just about burn my wifes hamburger patty and if she bit into with just a tinge of pink she would spit it out like she just had arsenic in her mouth and then refused to eat.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Medium or medium well. They usually undercook when I order medium and overcook when I do MW. I usually order MW because I'd rather have slightly overcooked than undercooked. Undercooked is tough and has less flavor IMO.

And I like ketchup. A-1 is disgusting.

I've found that some restaurants will cook a steak well when someone asks for medium-well. I think they assume that if you're asking for medium well, you will be upset if it's under so they cook it over - just as you said.

My mom used to only order well done steaks. Once she went to a fancy steak place, ordered a well done steak and the chef actually came out of the kitchen and begged her to try it medium rare. Said he'd foot the entire bill if she didn't like it.

She agreed and now only orders her steaks medium rare. I just imagine that chefs at nice steak places die a little bit inside everytime they've gotta cook the hell out of a $50 prime-cut.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i cannot even get my wife to walk in Joes Crab shack. She decides if the food is good or not just by the name, and if it relates to seafood or fish I can forget it. If fish, crab or seafood is in the name of the place, I wont be eating there with the wife. Very frustrating because I love seafood. Only one that I have a shot as is Red Lobster and that is because she ate their biscuits there one time and loved them.

Rob,

How do you have name like FloridaRob and a Wife who will not eat Sea Food? LOL.........

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done or with just a little pink on the inside.
A-1

And if you don't like it or think your way is superior...than order it your way and eat it.

I'll order mine the way I want it and eat it.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Anywhere between medium rare and medium well but prefer medium. If it is a flavorless steak I will use a sweet and tangy/spicy sauce. If I'm really desperate I will use ketchup but a good steak just needs seasonings and butter...

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Yeah, I have known a few Georgia Peaches. Is she a Cracker at least?

Just looked up the Urban Dictionary of what a Florida Cracker is. And I can say that of the 10 characteristics they describe she meets none of them so I would say no. She has no idea how to fish, would NEVER swim in a lake or creek, (there are those amoeba that get in your ear and kill you in lakes or creeks) has no idea what swamp cabbage is, does not like Nascar or Lynrd Skynard (thank goodness) and has no idea how to get home from the Mall unless I tell her much less know how to get to Yankeetown or Yeehaw junction.

She is a misplaced Georgia Peach that actually missed her time being born by about 50 years. She should been born in the early 1900s. She does not handle progress or changes well. She still does calculations on paper because (she can do it faster than a calculator) , she refused to use her text feature on her cellphone and you might as well not leave her a message on her voice mail because she refuses to check it. In fact her voice mail message says, I usually dont check my messages so call me back. She will only eat chicken. No Steak, No Seafood. Her eggs have to be scrambled until they are brown adn leathery on both sides and her bacon better come back crispy or it will go back to teh kitchen. But the thing is, she is a wonderful cook. Her pot roast, chicken and dumplings, chicken and yellow rice, and other southern dishes are as good as it gets. But when she was in her 30s, the gal was the most beautiful girl in Central Florida.

now that we are older she says all the time, she doesn't look like she did when we were in our 30s. And I am reminded of the series Roots that was on in the 70s when Chicken George looked at his wife after being gone for many years and his wife said she wasnt young anymore. Chicken George looked at his wife and said, "Yea, but I sees ya wit my heart" Great line and I use it all the time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Depends on the steak really. Each steak, depending on fat content and fibre content is cooked differently to achieve the best experience. Of course, personal preference also comes into play here so there is no one single correct answer.

The important thing is to determine what you like and then figure out what the best way to cook a cut of meat is, so as to achieve that goal.

I'm mildly shocked that it took 24 years to figure out medium rare is a decent way to eat a steak. Congratulations on the discovery Witten82.

Exactly.

For me, I will usually take prime rib at medium to medium well. Prime Ribs are juicy enough.

For most other steaks, I prefer them medium rare. That's the general consensus with chefs, food critics, etc. as well. It gives the steak a little more flavor.

And I prefer A1 on all of my steaks, even prime rib. I've tried plenty of steak sauces and I still come back to that one as the best.

RH

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just imagine that chefs at nice steak places die a little bit inside everytime they've gotta cook the hell out of a $50 prime-cut.

No one around here offering $50 steaks... not that there aren't good steaks.

A king-cut piece of prime rib tops out about 1/2 that cost here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just looked up the Urban Dictionary of what a Florida Cracker is. And I can say that of the 10 characteristics they describe she meets none of them so I would say no. She has no idea how to fish, would NEVER swim in a lake or creek, (there are those amoeba that get in your ear and kill you in lakes or creeks) has no idea what swamp cabbage is, does not like Nascar or Lynrd Skynard (thank goodness) and has no idea how to get home from the Mall unless I tell her much less know how to get to Yankeetown or Yeehaw junction.

She is a misplaced Georgia Peach that actually missed her time being born by about 50 years. She should been born in the early 1900s. She does not handle progress or changes well. She still does calculations on paper because (she can do it faster than a calculator) , she refused to use her text feature on her cellphone and you might as well not leave her a message on her voice mail because she refuses to check it. In fact her voice mail message says, I usually dont check my messages so call me back. She will only eat chicken. No Steak, No Seafood. Her eggs have to be scrambled until they are brown adn leathery on both sides and her bacon better come back crispy or it will go back to teh kitchen. But the thing is, she is a wonderful cook. Her pot roast, chicken and dumplings, chicken and yellow rice, and other southern dishes are as good as it gets. But when she was in her 30s, the gal was the most beautiful girl in Central Florida.

now that we are older she says all the time, she doesn't look like she did when we were in our 30s. And I am reminded of the series Roots that was on in the 70s when Chicken George looked at his wife after being gone for many years and his wife said she wasnt young anymore. Chicken George looked at his wife and said, "Yea, but I sees ya wit my heart" Great line and I use it all the time.

Works for me. You know what they say, "they don't need to be perfect for everybody, they just have to be right for you."

And for the record Rob, as far as my understanding of the term, Georgia Cracker, it describes a Georgia Peach who is beautiful and can cook. The term goes back to the 1500s and so really, pre-dates the existence of Georgia as a state in the union and it's changed over time. Some negatively and some not. The term was originally for Scot-Irish who settled Georgia and Florida. The word Cracker actually comes from the Gaelic word "Craic". It represents Boaster, entertaining story telling or bigger then life. In later years, it took on different meanings and some not so flattering but as far as I know, this is the actual origin of "Cracker". I wanted to tell you this so you did not think I was characterizing your wife in a poor manner.

Most Georgia Crackers that I know, and I know a few, are proud of the term and it is not considered derogatory by them. Just felt like I should say this.

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No one around here offering $50 steaks... not that there aren't good steaks.

A king-cut piece of prime rib tops out about 1/2 that cost here.

You can get cheaper steaks here, of course. But even Outback Steakhouse will charge you $20 for a Ribeye. Don't think you're getting a really good steak anywhere in NYC for $25.

Personally, I just go to Costco and buy a whole prime roast, trim it down myself, vacuum seal and freeze. That gets it down to about $10 a pound. However, if I'm going to a steak place, I fully expect to spend between 35 - 50 for the steak alone.

I bought an immersion circulator as well, and it's amazing. Perfect doneness every time, steak or otherwise.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Works for me. You know what they say, "they don't need to be perfect for everybody, they just have to be right for you."

And for the record Rob, as far as my understanding of the term, Georgia Cracker, it describes a Georgia Peach who is beautiful and can cook. The term goes back to the 1500s and so really, pre-dates the existence of Georgia as a state in the union and it's changed over time. Some negatively and some not. The term was originally for Scot-Irish who settled Georgia and Florida. The word Cracker actually comes from the Gaelic word "Craic". It represents Boaster, entertaining story telling or bigger then life. In later years, it took on different meanings and some not so flattering but as far as I know, this is the actual origin of "Cracker". I wanted to tell you this so you did not think I was characterizing your wife in a poor manner.

Most Georgia Crackers that I know, and I know a few, are proud of the term and it is not considered derogatory by them. Just felt like I should say this.

yea, here Florida Cracker means old people that dont like the fact the Yankees came down from up north and took over the state. So using your term of Georgia Cracker, she nails that 100%. I knew there was nothing derogatory meant. thanks.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Well done or with just a little pink on the inside.
A-1

And if you don't like it or think your way is superior...than order it your way and eat it.

I'll order mine the way I want it and eat it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
yea, here Florida Cracker means old people that dont like the fact the Yankees came down from up north and took over the state. So using your term of Georgia Cracker, she nails that 100%. I knew there was nothing derogatory meant. thanks.

Good enough Rob. I am glad you did not see it as a negative. I'm a believer in if I've wrong a person undeservingly, then apology is in order. Just making sure.

Have a great weekend Rob.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can get cheaper steaks here, of course. But even Outback Steakhouse will charge you $20 for a Ribeye. Don't think you're getting a really good steak anywhere in NYC for $25.

Personally, I just go to Costco and buy a whole prime roast, trim it down myself, vacuum seal and freeze. That gets it down to about $10 a pound. However, if I'm going to a steak place, I fully expect to spend between 35 - 50 for the steak alone.

I bought an immersion circulator as well, and it's amazing. Perfect doneness every time, steak or otherwise.

This is the cheap end of New York State... No where near NYC.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

No food is worth 35-50 dollars IMO (for one person/serving). If steak cost that here (it does some fancier places), I would never eat steak. The only time I've really been willing to spend over $20 was a few times where I got a 20 oz. at Texas Roadhouse.