How do you like your steaks?

KingLerxst

Reaction score
Another great, simple way of cooking a steak. The only thing that I would do is switch the salt and pepper order. Always do salt at the last minute because it dehydrates the meat :)

Another great, simple way of cooking a steak. The only thing that I would do is switch the salt and pepper order. Always do salt at the last minute because it dehydrates the meat :)

You could be right. But I've always heard different. This quote from amazing ribs.com. (And if it's on the interwebs. It must be true!:D)

"At home, dry brine by salting the steaks liberally on both sides at least an hour or two before cooking and put them back in the fridge. The salt helps the protein hold in moisture as well as enhance flavor".

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You could be right. But I've always heard different. This quote from amazing ribs.com. (And if it's on the interwebs. It must be true!:D)

"At home, dry brine by salting the steaks liberally on both sides at least an hour or two before cooking and put them back in the fridge. The salt helps the protein hold in moisture as well as enhance flavor".

You are on the right track. Dry brine is just that....dry, don't mix with any EVOO or other liquids. I use kosher salt for a dry brine usually with other dry spices.

There really is no wrong way to season/marinade a steak.......just go with what you like :)

rynochop

Reaction score
Heard one of the food network guys say to pepper the steak after cooking cause it burns, idk

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Im only 24, but I always had my steaks well done until a couple months ago. I ordered medium rare and cant imagine eating a well done steak again, and every time I went out to eat, all I order is mad- rare steak. I cant get enough of it.

Medium well... I prefer my food not bleeding.

Junglist

Reaction score
Im only 24, but I always had my steaks well done until a couple months ago. I ordered medium rare and cant imagine eating a well done steak again, and every time I went out to eat, all I order is mad- rare steak. I cant get enough of it.

So, you finally figured out that all the flavor was cooked out of your steak? Lol. Medium rare is the way to go, and if it's high-quality, RARE. slap its *** and put it on my plate!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So, you finally figured out that all the flavor was cooked out of your steak? Lol. Medium rare is the way to go, and if it's high-quality, RARE. slap its *** and put it on my plate!

Well done.

108351d1381515339t-dead-its-dead-jim.jpg

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Don't know if it has been mentioned here. I had never heard of it until this weekend.

A friend of mine bought an immersion circulating gizmo to cook "sous vide". She was describing the process of putting the nice cut of meat in a ziplock bag and throwing in a pot of water to be cooked by the gizmo which heats the water to your chosen temp and circulates it around the meat. I was very skeptical. Boiling a steak?!

This weekend I got a taste and it was fantastic. She finished the cooked steaks quickly in a very hot cast iron pan to give them the look and they were perfect. It is almost impossible to screw it up. It will only cook to the temp you set it for so can put the meat in and walk always for two hours and it will come out medium rare if that is the temp you set it for. Which of course it should be the temp you set it for.

rynochop

Reaction score
Yeah, I think some did mention having one. I'm kinda skeptical of them too, I boil rice in a bag not steak.ha but I've heard nothing but good stuff

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Medium rare for me. I like a pink center but not red as that's a little too rare for me.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Don't know if it has been mentioned here. I had never heard of it until this weekend.

A friend of mine bought an immersion circulating gizmo to cook "sous vide". She was describing the process of putting the nice cut of meat in a ziplock bag and throwing in a pot of water to be cooked by the gizmo which heats the water to your chosen temp and circulates it around the meat. I was very skeptical. Boiling a steak?!

This weekend I got a taste and it was fantastic. She finished the cooked steaks quickly in a very hot cast iron pan to give them the look and they were perfect. It is almost impossible to screw it up. It will only cook to the temp you set it for so can put the meat in and walk always for two hours and it will come out medium rare if that is the temp you set it for. Which of course it should be the temp you set it for.

MY friend has one,Sous vide is all the rage nowadays.The steak comes out very evenly cooked and tender.