How does anyone take Helman seriously?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Totally agree. The most monotone, boring voice and demeanor imaginable. And on top of that, he isn't even particularly insightful; I don't know how he still has a job.
Can't leave a munchkin out of a job. That would be discrimination. Cowboys covered their bases with that munchkin hire.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Helman is a total tool, Saints fan and incredibly irritating to his fellow colleagues though I think he has been better as of late in terms of maturation on a base level.

He would provoke Derek (his boss) on air with the dumbest comments, a miracle he was not fired long ago.

He apparently edits Broaddus’ writing materials as well and kisses up to Lindsey and Taylor Stern of Cover 4 fame.

He is like a grumpy millennial dwarf with the nickname tiny Jim...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is such a disjointed post. First of all there is a world of difference between coaching in college and high school. So your Walsh point makes little sense to me.

Second, let’s be clear. Moore and Kitna have light resumes. So the front offfice does what they do best and put on a PR push. For Kitna, they look around see if any coaches had high school experience and then play up Kitba’s high school resume.

But anyone who is honest would admit there is a world of difference between the resume of Pederson and that of Kitna. Further, Reid spent 5 seasons coaching Pederson so he knew of him well before Pederson did his HS run.

I'm sure most things do not make sense to you. Coaching is teaching be it high school or college more so than Pros. Pederson comments his views of coaching high school and you belittle that, that is your choice but not his feeling and he would know better than you about his experience. As for any comparison it is only pointed out they both started at the same point. Kinta has a long career in the NFL and Cowboys organization knows him well, as mentioned had anyone signed him as a coach no one would be making these negative comments but since it is Dallas you and some others view this as another means to slam this team.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

blumayne38

Reaction score
@Risen Star you can go after Helman but leave ambar alone she is a angel with football knowledge comparable to Tony Romo in the booth

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm sure most things do not make sense to you. Coaching is teaching be it high school or college more so than Pros. Pederson comments his views of coaching high school and you belittle that, that is your choice but not his feeling and he would know better than you about his experience. As for any comparison it is only pointed out they both started at the same point. Kinta has a long career in the NFL and Cowboys organization knows him well, as mentioned had anyone signed him as a coach no one would be making these negative comments but since it is Dallas you and some others view this as another means to slam this team.

Coaching in college versus high school is totally different. The resources, time, experience, quality of instruction is often much better in college than in high school. So no, the "teaching" isn't the same.

If anyone else had signed Kitna, I probably wouldn't have even noticed because it would be such an inconsequential move and would have little to no effect on Dallas. Hence why most people wouldn't comment at all about it. But because he's now a coach for the Cowboys, it now has an effect on this franchise.

I get it. You like to see the best in everything the Cowboys do and are doing it here again. But based on the run of this franchise and this coaching staff, healthy skepticism and not full on fawning over everything the organization is telling you about Kitna seems like the more prudent play. I mean they hired him and technically haven't even really given him a position yet because they aren't even sure what they are doing with Moore, the QB coach currently who hasn't been let go. I mean think about that. The owner, not the HC, is picking the coaching staff and they just hired a guy who "might" be the QB coach but we aren't sure because the current QB coach hasn't actually been fired or moved to another position officially.

Note, I have never said Kitna can't or won't be successful. I said the organization's approach here is typical Cowboys mish mash and their attempts to play up things like his high school experience (hey look, Doug Pederson won a SB and he was a high school coach!!!!!) is utterly predictable.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok
Here's what will happen.
Jason Garrett will over see the development of the offense, his lackeys will install the offense in various camps. Jason will game plan and call plays.
He has people to handle the defense. His job depends on this offense and winning. Make no mistake, he will take total control.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Coaching in college versus high school is totally different. The resources, time, experience, quality of instruction is often much better in college than in high school. So no, the "teaching" isn't the same.

If anyone else had signed Kitna, I probably wouldn't have even noticed because it would be such an inconsequential move and would have little to no effect on Dallas. Hence why most people wouldn't comment at all about it. But because he's now a coach for the Cowboys, it now has an effect on this franchise.

I get it. You like to see the best in everything the Cowboys do and are doing it here again. But based on the run of this franchise and this coaching staff, healthy skepticism and not full on fawning over everything the organization is telling you about Kitna seems like the more prudent play. I mean they hired him and technically haven't even really given him a position yet because they aren't even sure what they are doing with Moore, the QB coach currently who hasn't been let go. I mean think about that. The owner, not the HC, is picking the coaching staff and they just hired a guy who "might" be the QB coach but we aren't sure because the current QB coach hasn't actually been fired or moved to another position officially.

Note, I have never said Kitna can't or won't be successful. I said the organization's approach here is typical Cowboys mish mash and their attempts to play up things like his high school experience (hey look, Doug Pederson won a SB and he was a high school coach!!!!!) is utterly predictable.

Healthy skepticism is one thing constantly ragging on the team completely different. As for high school experience I see nothing wrong with that nor do I see 16 years of experience as a professional QB in the NFL being a bad thing. I think he has a vast knowledge of this game and this position.

Sydla

Reaction score
Healthy skepticism is one thing constantly ragging on the team completely different. As for high school experience I see nothing wrong with that nor do I see 16 years of experience as a professional QB in the NFL being a bad thing. I think he has a vast knowledge of this game and this position.

No one said there is anything "wrong" with high school experience.

GMO415

Reaction score
Short man who tries to act 6-08 with his vocabulary. Forever gonna be Tiny Jim.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I highly doubt Kitna would have much say in the offensive gameplan. If he can help Dak with his footwork and pocket presence, then they should hire him.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Helman is ok with me. Of course, you gotta keep in mind the goal of the whole DC.com shows, is to draw subscribers, so its mostly entertainment not high level football. So, out of the personalities of those shows, he's one of the least irritating to me.

Broaddus tends to irritate me because if you are paid to write or speak, you need to work on that skill. He interrupts others yeah, but what is really odd is that he will interrupt his own dialog and not complete sentences. He actually interrupts himself! yeah he's a former scout. yeah he has a super bowl ring. yadda yadda.

And while Nick Eatman has written books, and provides good insights (he's been wanting upgrade at safety and speed at WR for years), the attempts at "inside jokes" with his boss Derek Eagleton while on the air - the little muttered comments - attempts at looking witty - all that I can do without, and is very annoying to this listener. Get a room.

So, with all these odd personalities that don't come across well to audiences, Helman comes across as the most palatable like he's the only one I'd want to hang out with for a beer.

all that said, I'd totally suck if I had to do that job, so whatever!
Agreed with the Broaddus statement. He knows the game but interrupts himself lol

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
You guys are nuts. Helman is awesome, he's been a great addition to the site. He's never hid the fact that he was a Saints fan, but he's fully taken on the cowboys as his team. His work on the Break and Draft Show is as good as anyone

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Seriously, screw this message board most of the time. I love Helman. The Draft Show is fantastic. I love the Cowboys media staff. They give us more coverage and insight than the next 31 teams combined and all you guys do is complain complain ridicule complain. Everybody thinks they can do everything better from behind a keyboard. Helman writes exceptionally well, has good insight, and is genuinely funny. He is also a nice counter to Bryan Broaddus' over the top "I'm a man's man" schtick (though I still love BB and his analysis). They have a great team and I think have picked different staff members who will appeal to different demographics of people. Talkin Cowboys, Hanging with The Boys, and the Break are 3 totally different shows.

You complain that Mickey is a Cowboys homer and then you complain Helman isn't. I think most of you just like to complain.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My only issue with Helman is he comes across as a pompous dbag. He just strikes me as the guy in the room that thinks he is better than everybody else in it.

Carl23

Reaction score
Stephen has crooked!ed-hat syndrome. I couldn't finish the video because of it.