News: How does Patrick Mahomes' mega-deal affect Dak Prescott negotiations? It's complicated

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not including 2020 which is the last year of his rookie deal (and would actually lower the average) the 1st 5 years of the deal from 2021 thru 2025 averages 34.5m. 2022 thru 2026 averages 39.5. Technically the deal starts in 2022 because 2020 is the 4th year of his rookie deal and 2021 would have been the 5th year option which the team did pick up but they did rework the numbers in 2021 for this deal. From 2020 thru 2024 he will make an average of 29.5m.

The 5 year average that gm is talking about is when the extension starts in 2022, so take the 1st 5 years from that point

OK, gotta it ........(LOL)

glimmerman

Reaction score
He did, he also threw 2 TD's in the 4th quarter and helped put 21 points on the board when his team needed him most to win the game
No doubt about it. But if the 49ers simply ran the ball it don’t happen. I think mahomes is better than Dak. And not trying to make a case for Dak to get 45 a year. Just saying that the SB could have went very different if the opposing team simply did what brought them there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just me but it seems most are confusing Mahomes actual pay-out money with contract length. The 10 years makes his deal seem bigger than it really is. The wild card is mechanical guarantees........many of which he has a min chance of getting. As someone tweeted, the Chiefs are $141M ( guaranteed amount for injury ) to control his rights over the next 10 years. Hell, imagine if Goff had signed for 10 years using his current yearly average of $35M ( $350M )and they kicked in another $25-30M worth of post-season incentives. The kid promised them a team-friendly deal........
Yeah this don’t give Dak any leverage. JJ offered more on the table now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just me but it seems most are confusing Mahomes actual pay-out money with contract length. The 10 years makes his deal seem bigger than it really is. The wild card is mechanical guarantees........many of which he has a min chance of getting. As someone tweeted, the Chiefs are $141M ( guaranteed amount for injury ) to control his rights over the next 10 years. Hell, imagine if Goff had signed for 10 years using his current yearly average of $35M ( $350M )and they kicked in another $25-30M worth of post-season incentives. The kid promised them a team-friendly deal........

It's the same thing that happened with Wentz deal and Goff's. Those deals were not nearly as big as many said they were. There is real advantage to a restructure, as opposed to a new deal, like we are having to work with Dak, in terms of cap management.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It's the same thing that happened with Wentz deal and Goff's. Those deals were not nearly as big as many said they were. There is real advantage to a restructure, as opposed to a new deal, like we are having to work with Dak, in terms of cap management.
Same as the Elliot deal. He held out 2 years early and we extended him to a contract that made him look on paper like the most to any RB. But look at it. Not near as bad as it looks.

Daks deal is going to be a flat deal. There is no prorating anything. No real way to kick the can down the road. I don’t think his young agent realizes or cares about this. And it’s costing Dak money. Last years deal and the 36 per year on the table now is legit money. Actual money in the pocket is real and not on paper, it’s green backs. His agent had cost him 30 million so far. And another 5 million this year. He is offered 36 and his tag this year is 31. Could have made 30+ last year and took 2 million instead. You can’t make that money back by asking for more now.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Andy Reid's been coaching for 20 years and has 1 SB win. He is a great offensive mind but let's not act like Mahomes isn't one of the big reasons Reid finally got over the hump. I like the McCarthy hire. I think he is gonna be great for this team and for Dak, but Dak Prescott is not even close to the talent that Mahomes is. Anyone who argues that just doesn't watch the games on Sunday.

Give Andy Reid credit to where its due though. Put Maholmes into a Garrett coached offense and watch him squander that talent away running up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Where does that leave Dak? In the 32M to 35M range and not a penny more. He is not even close to Mahomes skill level and pay scale.

khiladi

Reaction score
And Mahommes makes a living doing crazy scrambles that creates open receivers. Dude looked horrendous the first half of the super bowl, and he is slightly better than average when he is purely a pocket passer. How long does history say that scrambling quarterbacks last, curious?. And if anyone says that Mahommes is a great pocket passer, you must be his damn mom.

2018, Mahomes was second in the league to Russell Wilson in completion percentage on his second read He was second only to Drew Brees on first reads. Dak going from first read to second read is bottom 4 in terms of drop. He didn’t even make top 10 on first read.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankin...rows-patrick-mahomes-drew-brees-aaron-rodgers

please stop..

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Same as the Elliot deal. He held out 2 years early and we extended him to a contract that made him look on paper like the most to any RB. But look at it. Not near as bad as it looks.

Daks deal is going to be a flat deal. There is no prorating anything. No real way to kick the can down the road. I don’t think his young agent realizes or cares about this. And it’s costing Dak money. Last years deal and the 36 per year on the table now is legit money. Actual money in the pocket is real and not on paper, it’s green backs. His agent had cost him 30 million so far. And another 5 million this year. He is offered 36 and his tag this year is 31. Could have made 30+ last year and took 2 million instead. You can’t make that money back by asking for more now.
I see your analogy on Elliott and it's true, but the part of his deal that wasnt BS is almost entirely guaranteed, and for all intents and purposes, it pretty much is.

Jerry gave him four guaranteed years. Three are left.

And the ankle weights he wears during games get heavier each year.

JayFord

Reaction score
I dont think Dak situation has much to do with Pat

Pat has earned every bit of that 500 million dollar contract hes truly a generational talent and im just happy that A football player is getting that kind of money no other sport demands that kind of punishment

i love Dak but of course hes not getting anywhere near Mahomes money.....but with this new CBA and the 17th game added into the schedule I wouldnt be shocked if he got 200 million

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Little of target and some younger poster may not remember the 25-year, $25M contract Majic Johnson signed with the Lakers in 1981. One of the riched contracts ever at the time.........but it didn't long for him regret it.

Magic Johnson
In 1981, Magic Johnson signed a 25-year, $25 million extension with the Lakers. The crazy deal was to keep Johnson a Laker for a long, long time, running from 1984 to 2009. Johnson would eventually sign new deals with Los Angeles, to compensate for the years he wasn’t the highest paid player in the league. The deal—thought up by the late, great Jerry Buss—certainly helped keep Magic a Laker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/26/sports/magic-johnson-signs-25-million-contract.html

glimmerman

Reaction score
I see your analogy on Elliott and it's true, but the part of his deal that wasnt BS is almost entirely guaranteed, and for all intents and purposes, it pretty much is.

Jerry gave him four guaranteed years. Three are left.

And the ankle weights he wears during games get heavier each year.
It’s up to him now. Come out in shape and healthy. Run the rock and make plays. If he does JJ will keep him. If he does what he is doing now then we will get out ASAP. And no other team will sign him for that and he will take a pay cut to stay in the league.

Dak needs to see this mahomes deal and tell his agent he needs to sign the current deal with maybe a little more guaranteed than goff. Keep a team around him and he will get another deal. His agent has screwed him IMO out of millions being greedy. JJ can only pay so much. He knows this and if his agent is smart he will look at that. I wish it would go like the D-Law contract (that I didn’t agree with but) and Dak and JJ or SJ could talk and leave the agent out for once. Get this over with. We are going to sign him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
2018, Mahomes was second in the league to Russell Wilson in completion percentage on his second read He was second only to Drew Brees on first reads. Dak going from first read to second read is bottom 4 in terms of drop. He didn’t even make top 10 on first read.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankin...rows-patrick-mahomes-drew-brees-aaron-rodgers

please stop..
I wonder how PFF determines correctly what exactly is the QB's 1st and 2nd reads on each play...
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I wonder their process to know this.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Little of target and some younger poster may not remember the 25-year, $25M contract Majic Johnson signed with the Lakers in 1981. One of the riched contracts ever at the time.........but it didn't long for him regret it.

Magic Johnson
In 1981, Magic Johnson signed a 25-year, $25 million extension with the Lakers. The crazy deal was to keep Johnson a Laker for a long, long time, running from 1984 to 2009. Johnson would eventually sign new deals with Los Angeles, to compensate for the years he wasn’t the highest paid player in the league. The deal—thought up by the late, great Jerry Buss—certainly helped keep Magic a Laker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/26/sports/magic-johnson-signs-25-million-contract.html
And look at Bobby Bonilla's deal! Dude's been retired for years and they're still paying him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dak in his senior year, couldn’t beat a ranked team at 9-4. Like his fourth year here, his attempts went up and his rushing attempts dropped to 3.7 YPC.

Against LSU, he scored 13 points in garbage time in the 4th, down 21-6.

Against Texas, they got blown out 30-17, Dak scored on a run in the 4th in garbage time. The other TD was a 50 yard run in the second by a WR.

Alabama, they got blown out 31-6. Dak threw over 40 attempts at a 50% clip.

Ole Miss was up 28-3 going into the second half and blew them out 38-27, Dak threw two TDs in complete garbage time in the 4th and had a 1 yard run in the third. But guess what.. Dak threw at 74%...

Sounds like a familiar trend..
Good Ole 3D.
Dumpster Diving Dak

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How many more miserable 1st halfs can you deal with before any bit of the blame makes its way to Dak?
Its just a pre established excuse exercise so that they have something to fall back on when Dak takes up 18.75 percent of the cap and still fails.
It was the defense
It was the running game
It was bad coaching
Always an excuse to cover up Daks obvious deficiencies, and future excuses being practiced now.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well... You about summed it up when you said; "Dak vs the Texans or 49ers would mean an L for us". :facepalm:
First... It's never Dak vs any team. It's the Cowboys team vs another team.
Second... Without the defense, the Chiefs offense doesn't rally from a 28 point deficit. Which was my point.
Third... When you're done using your crystal ball to check out the scores for games in the future... Maybe I could borrow it... I have some bets I would like to place. :thumbup:
Keep practicing and preparing those excuses, and I understand, nobody likes egg on their face, or the taste of crow.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
lol. Good. Your universe sees only delusions.
What is it with Cowboys Forum's "Well Known Members"????? They don't know squat about football. Just because a QB has padded stats doesn't mean JJ should back the truck up with hundreds of millions of dollars and dump it on Dak's front porch!!! If the kid doesn't want to sign for 5 yrs then good for him. The Boys are going to find someone to run this team and they're not going to bankrupt the team in the process. This team looks dam good on both sides of the ball and it just needs a QB who isn't going to wet down his leg when going up against above average teams. Unfortunately for us, Dak's leaving a fairly large wet trail every time he goes up against solid teams. Until he get's his act together he hasn't earned that truck full of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Knew this response would surface...
Not including 2020 which is the last year of his rookie deal (and would actually lower the average) the 1st 5 years of the deal from 2021 thru 2025 averages 34.5m. 2022 thru 2026 averages 39.5. Technically the deal starts in 2022 because 2020 is the 4th year of his rookie deal and 2021 would have been the 5th year option which the team did pick up but they did rework the numbers in 2021 for this deal. From 2020 thru 2024 he will make an average of 29.5m.

The 5 year average that gm is talking about is when the extension starts in 2022, so take the 1st 5 years from that point
The real money is in the Roster Bonuses, which begin in 2021.
In 2027, KC will be cutting Mahomes a bonus check of 49.4 mill, with his cap hit being 59.95 mill.
Here is the break down....
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/202...tract-breakdown-base-salary-bonus-salary-cap/