News: How does Patrick Mahomes' mega-deal affect Dak Prescott negotiations? It's complicated

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ya know if Dak did what mahomes did in his first couple of years he would have never had to play his whole rookie contract. Daks rookie year let me know that he can get it done. Next year was less than stellar. Next year let me know he could be franchise QB. Last year was BS. This staff was coming to a end and everyone knew it. It’s a team game and we have a team out together and a new staff. Not changing much on Offense, it’s the Defense that’s changing. ST is going to be much better. It’s on.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If Dak and his agents had half a brain (they don't) they would sign whatever deal it is the Cowboys have offerred because once Watson signs for less than Mahomes (which he will) Dak's value will drop even more....on the other hand whatever the Cowboys have reportedly offerred has probably been withdrawn after the Mahomes deal

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah.
It appears that this guy made poor assumptions on how it would be dispursed.
Now that the data is out, it's hard to see where it moves the needle one way or the other with Dak.
34-35/yr still looks like a good offer.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah.
It appears that this guy made poor assumptions on how it would be dispursed.
Now that the data is out, it's hard to see where it moves the needle one way or the other with Dak.
34-35/yr looks still looks like a good offer.

34-35 is alot more money than Mahomes will receive over the next 5 years (2020-2024), which is an average of approx 29m per season

Diehardblues

Reaction score
NFL.
NFL's highest paid quarterbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
  • 2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
  • 7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
  • 0. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million

This is a great illustration where Dak should be. Low 30 ‘s. Under 35 million.

jrumann59

Reaction score
NFL.
NFL's highest paid quarterbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
  • 2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
  • 7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
  • 0. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million

This is a great illustration where Dak should be. Low 30 ‘s. Under 35 million.
QBs 2-4 are probably HOFers. Mahomes if the wheels don't fall off will likely be a HOFer. 4-10 maybe Ryan has a shot at HOF, maybe. Based on how they all play right now.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Did the Mahomes deal just price Dak out of the market for the Cowboys? With a decent back up on the roster and a win now group of talent, the Cowboys may look to the future for their franchise QB.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bro, it’s this season. I see why this team hasn’t won poo for two decades . It’s mediocre fans like you that have lowered this franchise into the garbage.

SB MVP 4TDs minimum.
I'm curious how fans "lower a franchise into garbage".

I could see Green Bay maybe. Fans don't make decisions and have very little effect on those that do. That's why forums like this exist...so people like you can pretend.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If the $ in Mahomes' deal has any impact on Dak's demands then so should the length and structure of the deal. You can't cherry pick part of other contracts you like and ignore others. Either Mahomes' deal in it's entirety is relevant to Dak or none of it is. That's my view. If Dak or his agent even brought it up, I'd show them the door while laughing in their face. Win me a super bowl while dominating like Mahomes and I'll pay you like him. Look inconsistent from week to week and miss the playoffs and you can play on the tag so I can keep my options open.

glimmerman

Reaction score
34-35 is alot more money than Mahomes will receive over the next 5 years (2020-2024), which is an average of approx 29m per season
And they will restructure it in 2025. Looking at the details it’s not that bad. Only 63 million guaranteed at signing. Seems like goff and wentz got more for a 4 year extension.

Someone here look at the details and show us the actual money. I don’t think it’s 45 million a year if you look into it. Now if he says no to a restructure later then he may get paid big money. Or may get traded. I ain’t sold on him. In the SB he threw 2 picks and he needs to thank the 49ers coaching staff for his money. He threw his first pick in the 3rd quarter down 20-10 and all the 49ers had to do was run the ball. Then throws a (Dak type behind the WR throw) and it’s picked off a tip. Score was the same so just run the ball and win the game. Then throws a close your eyes pass on 3rd and 15 and the WR made the catch or they lose the game.. He was very close to a goff SB type of game.

Last edited:

hopemsu

Reaction score
Prescott isn't even in the same league has Mahomes, he's a second/third tier QB, it means nothing.

And Mahommes makes a living doing crazy scrambles that creates open receivers. Dude looked horrendous the first half of the super bowl, and he is slightly better than average when he is purely a pocket passer. How long does history say that scrambling quarterbacks last, curious?. And if anyone says that Mahommes is a great pocket passer, you must be his damn mom.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And Mahommes makes a living doing crazy scrambles that creates open receivers. Dude looked horrendous the first half of the super bowl, and he is slightly better than average when he is purely a pocket passer. How long does history say that scrambling quarterbacks last, curious?. And if anyone says that Mahommes is a great pocket passer, you must be his damn mom.
He threw 2 picks in the second half of the game. If the 49ers did what they did and just ran the ball then they win the game. He should be calling the 49ers head coach and thanking him for his contract. Just like the chiefs d-line player said after the game. He said I don’t know why they quit running the ball but I am glad they did. They couldnt stop the run or figure out there blocking scheme.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He threw 2 picks in the second half of the game. If the 49ers did what they did and just ran the ball then they win the game. He should be calling the 49ers head coach and thanking him for his contract. Just like the chiefs d-line player said after the game. He said I don’t know why they quit running the ball but I am glad they did. They couldnt stop the run or figure out there blocking scheme.

He did, he also threw 2 TD's in the 4th quarter and helped put 21 points on the board when his team needed him most to win the game

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Are you sure???????? One former GM tweeted his first 5-year average is $39.5M per season.

Not including 2020 which is the last year of his rookie deal (and would actually lower the average) the 1st 5 years of the deal from 2021 thru 2025 averages 34.5m. 2022 thru 2026 averages 39.5. Technically the deal starts in 2022 because 2020 is the 4th year of his rookie deal and 2021 would have been the 5th year option which the team did pick up but they did rework the numbers in 2021 for this deal. From 2020 thru 2024 he will make an average of 29.5m.

The 5 year average that gm is talking about is when the extension starts in 2022, so take the 1st 5 years from that point

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but it seems most are confusing Mahomes actual pay-out money with contract length. The 10 years makes his deal seem bigger than it really is. The wild card is mechanical guarantees........many of which he has a min chance of getting. As someone tweeted, the Chiefs are $141M ( guaranteed amount for injury ) to control his rights over the next 10 years. Hell, imagine if Goff had signed for 10 years using his current yearly average of $35M ( $350M )and they kicked in another $25-30M worth of post-season incentives. The kid promised them a team-friendly deal........