How has coaching incompetence changed your enjoyment of Cowboys games?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
for me, it is a lot.
on some level, it has become hard to watch.
like the special teams last game not adjusting to the weather after any idiot watching the game knows better.
like garrett kicking the field goal instead of going for the touchdown with little time left and losing by 7.
i can almost count on some strategic mistake that tries hard to turn victory into defeat.
and there would likely be some moment in the game where i would be in disbelief as i watch the action unfold - thinking 'they could not be seriously doing that'

Watching Marinelli kill playoff games has been rough....

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yes, it absolutely has. I still watch every game, because I will always love the Cowboys and be a fan, but I know this season my excitement factor is way low. Why? Because I already know the outcome. It is what it is at this point with Garrett, so I'm just riding it out.

Between that and the refs. They also have a hand in my inability to thoroughly enjoy games. Some of the games are flag.....flag.......flag......flag. Like damn, let these guys play some football.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
A lot. Let’s put it this way, Vegas had the Cowboys favored in every game this year up until the Pats and their record during that time was 6-4. That’s 4 games they were favored to win and of course lost. That tells you everyone knows the talent is there but with Garrett and company it doesn’t matter. I feel like they are at a disadvantage every single Sunday with this coaching staff. It’s almost as if they are behind before the game even starts.

fansince68

Reaction score
It sucks. It just feels like we're behind the eight ball going into almost every game.

Also, once we get into the playoffs you feel hopeless about winning a title knowing Garrett has to coach his team up for 3-4 games against elite competition with no margin for error. Does anybody imagine that ever happening? Of course not. So what are we really doing here?
To top it off, we frequently lose at home in big games....terrible

waldoputty

Reaction score
A lot. Let’s put it this way, Vegas had the Cowboys favored in every game this year up until the Pats and their record during that time was 6-4. That’s 4 games they were favored to win and of course lost. That tells you everyone knows the talent is there but with Garrett and company it doesn’t matter. I feel like they are at a disadvantage every single Sunday with this coaching staff. It’s almost as if they are behind before the game even starts.

and that turns out that we are always behind in the 1st quarter!

Zordon

Reaction score
Also, one thing I despise about Garrett's teams is how unemotional and swagless they are on the field. I was watching some of the Ravens highlights, those guys were genuinely having fun out there with each other. With the exception of 1 or 2 seasons, there is a plastic soulless vibe I feel around this team since he's been head coach.

When have you ever seen the entire team celebrate like this? #39 on the left is Brandon Carr. He was a zombie for 5 years in Dallas. Look at him now.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I mean they aren't well coached. at all. but this isn't like the 70' or 80's or even the 90's when Gibbs, Parcells, Landry, Shula, Walsh, Johnson, Holmgren...guys like that roamed the sideline. There's one great coach out there, and a few very good ones. The Cowboys are average to below average in that landscape.

What ruins my enjoyment is the constant over hyping of this roster, guys like Jaylon Smith with his Clear Eye View Marketing, I saw Zeke yesterday with Charlotte doing something with Salvation Army (and I'm not begrudging charity work or Jaylon maxing his wealth), but is it EVER strictly about football? especially in season. The dumb *** coaches are just icing on the cake. This entire setup with the Jones family is obnoxious, disheartening, and other than the deep pockets, not at all about building a winning culture or having sustained and constant success.

Oh they will change these coaches out mercifully at the end of this season, and they'll enjoy a brief uptick in success probably, but I GUARANTEE they will be right back here in constant mediocrity with the dopey Owner/GM and his equally incompetent son. I see no end in sight with the Jones family running it, and that lessens my enjoyment of watching the games I guess. I hope I'm wrong, but I've got 24+ years of not even sniffing a conference title game as evidence I'm probably right.

Football culture? the only time its been right or close to being right were when Johnson and Parcells coached here. They made Jerry as uncomfortable as hell.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
why did our kicker keep banging it out of the end zone? It would have been nice to see if the Pats might muff one of those. Maybe get good field position.
I know!!! Why? Because we truly our a stupid football team. The last few games in good weather Mayer’s Kickoffs were a little short and getting returned 50 yards, now it’s a friggin rain storm and he is able to kick the ball into the end zone by 4-6 yards. Makes no sense, but neither does this team!

kskboys

Reaction score
The Vegas line is based on how many people are betting on them. They were favored to win due to Dallas having the biggest fan base in the NFL, not on how they thought the games would go. Sorry, your line of thought isn't correct.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The Vegas line is based on how many people are betting on them. They were favored to win due to Dallas having the biggest fan base in the NFL, not on how they thought the games would go. Sorry, your line of thought isn't correct.

So I guess they weren’t expected to beat the Jets? Vikings at home? GB at home? Just gambling money right? Most people bet with their heart and I guess they are all Cowboys fans??? Lol ok

Big_D

Reaction score
Also, one thing I despise about Garrett's teams is how unemotional and swagless they are on the field. I was watching some of the Ravens highlights, those guys were genuinely having fun out there with each other. With the exception of 1 or 2 seasons, there is a plastic soulless vibe I feel around this team since he's been head coach.

When have you ever seen the entire team celebrate like this? #39 on the left is Brandon Carr. He was a zombie for 5 years in Dallas. Look at him now.

I'm guessing he's thrilled to be out of Dallas.

waldoputty

Reaction score

yep, no swag no emotions just like the coach

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Greatly, at least the last 6-7 years. I have always been a part of the Fire Garrett crew. Bone headed decisions have been a part of his legacy since day 1. Then I thought he had turned a corner the year he was Coach of the year, but it was more the team doing well - despite Garrett - not because of him. And nothing has changed.
I am a huge Rugby fan, just went to Japan to watch the Rugby World Cup. I don't yell at my TV screen during Rugby matches like I do during Cowboy games. Its because of the coaching, and decision making. How unprepared they always seem.
Yep, I pretty much watch the players in spite of the coaching staff.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I go weeks at a time and I simply don't enjoy the game any longer. I love football but I can't stand to watch poor football played by guys who are light years better then I ever was, simply because they either don't care enough about the sport, only the money or are so poorly coached that it just results in a crappy product.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
When I tune in to almost every game I get a feeling there is a chance we lose. Including the skins games

:cool:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
for me, it is a lot.
on some level, it has become hard to watch.
like the special teams last game not adjusting to the weather after any idiot watching the game knows better.
like garrett kicking the field goal instead of going for the touchdown with little time left and losing by 7.
i can almost count on some strategic mistake that tries hard to turn victory into defeat.
and there would likely be some moment in the game where i would be in disbelief as i watch the action unfold - thinking 'they could not be seriously doing that'
The word you're looking for is indifference

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
No not really because I have always watched regardless.

The poor officiating coupled with the seeming lack of any real desire to fix anything or even admit that something is an issue is what has finally did me in.

JayFord

Reaction score
2008 was it for me.....i said to myself “this offense only runs because the talent we have can pull it out of a jam”

I have no ill will toward Garrett but having him coach here making the decisions he makes has made me stop watching as much as i used to...i just cant.....i didnt get this upset with Campo and Gailey