How long do running quarterbacks last in the NFL?

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Dak doesn't play like Wentz. He does play similar to Newton.

I don't get why this community is digging deep trying to find ways to throw Dak under the bus.

Can't argue with your running numbers for Dak. They are what they are and that's where his success has came from when he's had success that is.

The one thing I'd point out is that Cam has far more ability when it comes to throwing the ball than Dak and it's not even close. Sure, Cam airmails some balls but he goes down the field often and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

The Panthers run an option offense and call designed runs off of that for Cam probably three or four times a game but Cam isn't a run first QB. He can throw it and throw it well.

Brax

Reaction score
Our greatest QB ever, Roger Staubach, lasted 11 years, played in 5 SBs, 6 NFC championship games, and still holds the team record (Dak nearly broke Sun) for most rushing yards by a QB in a single game- 91 yards. Roger was one of the best running QBs in NFL history.

The key is to be smart. Running QBs who last are smart running QBs.
RS wasn't a running QB he was a QB who could scramble, a running QB is Bobby Douglas, Joe Capp, Tim Tebow, Cam is a QB who can Run but isn't a running QB. Dak is QB who can run but isn't a running QB unfortunately he isn't much of a passing one either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RS wasn't a running QB he was a QB who could scramble, a running QB is Bobby Douglas, Joe Capp, Tim Tebow, Cam is a QB who can Run but isn't a running QB. Dak is QB who can run but isn't a running QB unfortunately he isn't much of a passing one either.
Ok...if you want to call Roger a “scrambler”, not a rusher, that’s cool. He still had over 2,200 yards rushing in his career, including 20 rushing TDs. Three times in his career he rushed for over 300 yards in a season. Ok call that scrambling.

Brax

Reaction score
Ok...if you want to call Roger a “scrambler”, not a rusher, that’s cool. He still had over 2,200 yards rushing in his career, including 20 rushing TDs. Three times in his career he rushed for over 300 yards in a season. Ok call that scrambling.
I would call it semantics, I consider a running QB is when they design plays for the QB to run, his yardage was actually off scrambles much like Fran Tarkington's and Steve Young's were. He did run as a QB just not out of design mostly for his life.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Man people are getting scramble ability confused with running qb. :laugh:

Lots of pocket passers have scrambling ability. Heck hobbled Aaron Rogers ran for a 30 yd first down on a bad knee last week.