How long do running quarterbacks last in the NFL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be an interesting stat to take a look at.

Designed running plays versus scrambles.

I started to go back and look at the play by play for the game to determine that, but since it only gives the yardage gained doesn't say if it was a designed play or scramble, it's hard to know unless you remember every play. In his post above Dhragon said more were scrambles, and I think that's true, but I can't say that with certainty. I am confident, however, that enough of the runs were scrambles that what's left isn't a dramatically larger number of designed QB runs than we have seen in past from time to time in the past. My guess would be 3-4 designed runs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff. I like your insight on the subject.

IMO designed runs and scrambling makes Dak more effective. It gives the defenses more to think about with his passing weaknesses.

And why it should be utilized more. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that Dak and our offense is more effective as a result.

I think the other element is to be decisive on when to run on a designed pass play that breaks down. I think Dak often waits too long to make that decision, and gives the defense a chance to box him in or get the sack. This past game I thought Dak did a very good job of giving the pass routes time to open up, but was decisive when they didn't and took off running. Obviously we don't want him giving up on pass routes too quickly, but understanding when to hang in and when to take off is part of what he can do to be successful.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I started to go back and look at the play by play for the game to determine that, but since it only gives the yardage gained doesn't say if it was a designed play or scramble, it's hard to know unless you remember every play. In his post above Dhragon said more were scrambles, and I think that's true, but I can't say that with certainty. I am confident, however, that enough of the runs were scrambles that what's left isn't a dramatically larger number of designed QB runs than we have seen in past from time to time in the past. My guess would be 3-4 designed runs.
I recorded the game and haven’t rewatched it again yet. I’ll try to make a note between the difference. But I’d prob agree were more scrambles.

But your point above was spot on. Too many times he hesitates deciding to run.

plasticman

Reaction score
Here again I’d argue these were scrambling QB’s not designed running QB’s.
That's an extremely small pool of data to draw from which kind of makes the point mute. Starting from the 70's the number of designed running plays for quarterbacks have been exponentially fractional if you eliminate 3rd or 4th and 1.

There are only 7 quarterbacks in history who averaged 30 or more yards per game and four of them are active.In fact,with a few very rare exceptions, designed QB runs are a rather new concept, probably due to the rule changes which significantly reduce the danger. I mean,they could still be injured but they won't get destroyed by a huge defensive player doing a body slam, that is now a penalty.

The only true running QB I remember was Bobby Douglas who ran 968 yards in 1972. Good reason, his career completion rate was 43.0%. Still,he had a nine year career, mostly as a backup. In 1971, his Chicago Bear team beat the eventual SB champion Dallas Cowboys. After that game, Landry made Staubach his permanent starter.

To summarize, until recently,there have not been enough designated QB running plays in which to form statistical proof in either direction.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I'm sure most poeple are eagerly waiting for Dak to get hurt.
I think it was a good question. And maybe not precise enough, It should be something like how long do running quarterbacks last in this league, before their numbers drop off significantly. I would say it depends on the Quarterback's ability to be able to do something else besides running, and the quality of their offensive lines to keep them from getting killed. Tony Romo started out as a mobile quarterback but he had some success being able to throw the ball as well. Some mobile quarterbacks have nothing to fall back onto after they lose their legs like RG3. The running ability doesn't last forever for quarterbacks usually. So it is better to use it wisely.

csirl

Reaction score
People often forget Troy Aikman won a National Championship as an option QB i.e. where the QB was there primarily to carry the ball. Passing was so good he rarely needed to use these skills in the pros.

It annoys me when people try to make out that running ability can make up for lack of passing skills. QBs have to be accurate passers first. Rushing ability is a nice to have. Its a bit like putting a great stereo in a trabbant and then trying to argue its a better car than a Ferrari.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's an extremely small pool of data to draw from which kind of makes the point mute. Starting from the 70's the number of designed running plays for quarterbacks have been exponentially fractional if you eliminate 3rd or 4th and 1.

There are only 7 quarterbacks in history who averaged 30 or more yards per game and four of them are active.In fact,with a few very rare exceptions, designed QB runs are a rather new concept, probably due to the rule changes which significantly reduce the danger. I mean,they could still be injured but they won't get destroyed by a huge defensive player doing a body slam, that is now a penalty.

The only true running QB I remember was Bobby Douglas who ran 968 yards in 1972. Good reason, his career completion rate was 43.0%. Still,he had a nine year career, mostly as a backup. In 1971, his Chicago Bear team beat the eventual SB champion Dallas Cowboys. After that game, Landry made Staubach his permanent starter.

To summarize, until recently,there have not been enough designated QB running plays in which to form statistical proof in either direction.
I totally agree! That’s how I recall as well.

And well written and researched.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People often forget Troy Aikman won a National Championship as an option QB i.e. where the QB was there primarily to carry the ball. Passing was so good he rarely needed to use these skills in the pros.

It annoys me when people try to make out that running ability can make up for lack of passing skills. QBs have to be accurate passers first. Rushing ability is a nice to have. Its a bit like putting a great stereo in a trabbant and then trying to argue its a better car than a Ferrari.
I’m not sure if it makes up for passing skills but it certainly adds an element which can at least assist in their effectiveness.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Every QB is different so it's really hard to answer with an exact on this question but I think the answer here is, not as long as a pocket passer, on the whole.

JMO

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Young was a very good runner. He was a pass first QB who ran for a lot of easy first downs when the D played coverage and if they were foolish enough to try to stop him from running he threw it to the receivers they let go.
Ya,San Fran had the ol' 1-2 in their footballish gameplan,,, thrusting Steve Young Onto the scene immediately following MONTANA'S EXIT,,,vile bass turds they be & of a deceitful nature, TOO!,,, MAN ALIVE did I ever hate on that outfit,,,,hey? Is Joe Sieffert still above ground? & would he be of interest in a coaching gig?o_O

jujoboys

Reaction score
How long do running quarterbacks last in the NFL?

Name some running quarterbacks and how long their career was in the NFL.

I assume this is another thread in which we try to find a way to bash Dak. I will play along and assume that you are really concerned about the health of Dak.

Dak averages less than 4 runs per game for his career. Some of that is kneel downs at the end of the 1st half and the end of the game. He is bigger than Zeke so he is not small and frail. About 99% of the time he slides prior to getting hit or runs out of bounds prior to getting hit. I think he is more likely to get hurt by getting sacked than by running because he is usually smart when it comes to taking hits.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ya,San Fran had the ol' 1-2 in their footballish gameplan,,, thrusting Steve Young Onto the scene immediately following MONTANA'S EXIT,,,vile bass turds they be & of a deceitful nature, TOO!,,, MAN ALIVE did I ever hate on that outfit,,,,hey? Is Joe Sieffert still above ground? & would he be of interest in a coaching gig?o_O

George Seifert is about 90 now, I think. I think he's done with Coaching but who knows right?

Melonfeud

Reaction score
George Seifert is about 90 now, I think. I think he's done with Coaching but who knows right?
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

I should've Wikipedia'd the dude first b-4 posting, I guess:lmao:

And HEY MAN! YER' OF MOST AWESOME NATURE AS JUST Being a regular forum member as COMPARED TO BEING A MODERATOR:starspin:

*I just wanted to pass that on to you,,,BUDDIES fer' Life now,ya know:thumbup:
:)

Melonfeud

Reaction score

:lmao: all this time,I'd figured you for a regular down home dried chip kicker,,,till you're mentioning of the truly rolling crap manufactured trabbant conveyance,,,:welcome: FRIEND:)
:starspin::starspin::star::starspin::starspin:

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
As far as longevity or running more shortening his career??

How long of a career did you think he will have if he doesn’t run the ball more?

Would we rather have a few great years or 10+ average years?

Do what makes you most effective and manage the effects.
:hammer:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

I should've Wikipedia'd the dude first b-4 posting, I guess:lmao:

And HEY MAN! YER' OF MOST AWESOME NATURE AS JUST Being a regular forum member as COMPARED TO BEING A MODERATOR:starspin:

*I just wanted to pass that on to you,,,BUDDIES fer' Life now,ya know:thumbup:
:)

LOL..... Thank you man. TBH, it's a lot easier to be "Awesome" when your just poster and not a MOD. A lot of times, it's hard to MOD and also have fun as a poster. It's a real drag because we were all posters and fans before we were MODs. Can be thankless sometimes. I appreciate every one of them.

But I thank you for saying this Melonfeud.