How many dollar general stores are in or being built in your basic area?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV is a small state and it is split into smaller counties for a total of 55.

Many of these are rural areas with smaller towns.

In my county for years there was two Dollar General and one went out of business. The other one they shut down and built a new on maybe a quarter of mile away.

Now in our small county we have four and one is being built across the street from the one that was closed years ago so a total of Five.

It seems like they were around random areas years ago but now they are exploding everywhere. I have only been in a couple as a quick stop off after work to pick up some snacks or drinks but I dont know how they get away with it.

There is no way some of the store aisles meet fire codes as they are so narrow. And Every time I have been in one there have always been boxes or carts with boxes on them in some of the aisles. Have head many of the women at work complain about it as well.
One of the employees told one of the ladies that they will not hire enough employees so normally they are short handed. Which means in some cases they expect a couple of employees and sometimes just one...to Unload stuff from truck. Stock the shelves, keep the floors clean, clean bathrooms on top of checking people out as cashier. Kind of crazy.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dollar type stores are popping up faster that McDonalds and Subway has in the past. i have even seen three different dollar stores in the same shopping strip recently :muttley:

I’ve only been in one of those type stores a few times. Prices are rising, maybe I should shop in there more often for a bargain :thumbup:

nobody

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Dollar General was a money laundering scheme for some outfit. Then again, Wal-mart did the same thing back in the day and now look at it.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I moved about a year ago. In the small city/large town where I previously lived, there were three Dollar Generals, one Dollar Tree, and a Family Dollar. There are at least five more Dollar Generals spread throughout the county.

I have not been in one in years so have no personal experience on their current state. But Last Week Tonight did a segment on dollar stores a week or so ago about the conditions, etc.

John813

Reaction score
Not a lot, yet. Then again at least around me they have them off obscure roads.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One in my town, but the next town over has two of them, a mile apart on the same road, which is a very rural town.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver did a story on Dollar General. What a crap hole. They've been sued for underpaying employees, and there are very often not enough employees to do the job, which is why a lot of them are apparently full of crap blocking the aisles. I highly recommend watching the episode. I'll never shop there.

gtb1943

Reaction score
One in my town, but the next town over has two of them, a mile apart on the same road, which is a very rural town.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver did a story on Dollar General. What a crap hole. They've been sued for underpaying employees, and there are very often not enough employees to do the job, which is why a lot of them are apparently full of crap blocking the aisles. I highly recommend watching the episode. I'll never shop there.
ITs real easy to say I will never shop there when you are not watching every penny you spend because you have to. Fact is you save money at Dollar stores - sometimes even cheaper than Walmart.
When people are so stressed out trying to make ends meet anything helps. I have seen exactly what has been discussed as regards not hiring sufficient workers. But then some of their prices are so much cheaper maybe one should not be shocked. You have to cut corners to be cheaper anymore.
In rural america where you might have to travel 30-50 miles or even more to get to a walmart and the local supermarkets are more expensive, then Dollars stores help a lot of people on the edge survive. so do not act so high and mighty about it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the heads update segment John Oliver did. I found it on YouTube and wow. That explains a good deal and it is worse than I thought. I did like the segment of employees begging for helping and in a couple of examples of employees leaving the store with signs on the windows.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
ITs real easy to say I will never shop there when you are not watching every penny you spend because you have to. Fact is you save money at Dollar stores - sometimes even cheaper than Walmart.
When people are so stressed out trying to make ends meet anything helps. I have seen exactly what has been discussed as regards not hiring sufficient workers. But then some of their prices are so much cheaper maybe one should not be shocked. You have to cut corners to be cheaper anymore.
In rural america where you might have to travel 30-50 miles or even more to get to a walmart and the local supermarkets are more expensive, then Dollars stores help a lot of people on the edge survive. so do not act so high and mighty about it.
Who's being all high and mighty? You wanna shop at a store that treats its employees like trash, has rats living in the stockroom, and a slue of other sketchy practices, knock yourself out. BTW, one of the subjects mentioned is that the prices aren't necessarily cheaper, just that the quantity is less, and it's often more expensive per unit.

I'm not telling anyone else to shop there, I just just choose not to myself.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Who's being all high and mighty? You wanna shop at a store that treats its employees like trash, has rats living in the stockroom, and a slue of other sketchy practices, knock yourself out. BTW, one of the subjects mentioned is that the prices aren't necessarily cheaper, just that the quantity is less, and it's often more expensive per unit.

are you desperate to make the rent and put food on the table?
If not go suck eggs
THAT is what I meant about high and mighty
Its REAL EASY to stand on 'principles' when you are NOT worried about your child going hungry or dressed in rags.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Yeah, all those dollar stores. I think the law about required overtime for salaried wages was started in part because of companies like this taking advantage of it. Promise someone quality work/life balance but make them work 100 hours a week at a low salary.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
are you desperate to make the rent and put food on the table?
If not go suck eggs
THAT is what I meant about high and mighty
Its REAL EASY to stand on 'principles' when you are NOT worried about your child going hungry or dressed in rags.
Dude, just shut up. You're such a contentious piece of (work). I never told you or anyone else not to shop there, and I'm not looking down on anyone who does. I'm mentioning an expose that was done about the company. Sorry if you're part owner or something, but if you are, be better for the people who patronize your stores and the employees who work in them.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
We've got them everywhere and I had never been in one until about a year ago. I'm a fan. Yes they're claustrophobic but so what, step around. I stopped at one right next to my house because I noticed they sold bagged ice. When I went it to pay I couldn't believe what all they sold. I'm in there all the time now. It's great for picking up odds and ends for my senior parents who only need a couple of items. Charcoal, sardines, mascara, tomato sauce, cat chow, condoms, a phillips head screwdriver, Imodium, tiki torches, Jesus candles, deer corn, propane refills, Fabuloso, baked beans, State Fair corn dogs, greeting cards, Little Tree air fresheners, fake long stem roses, DVDs, extension cords, and at home marijuana drug test kits. I don't know what else folks want?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We've got them everywhere and I had never been in one until about a year ago. I'm a fan. Yes they're claustrophobic but so what, step around. I stopped at one right next to my house because I noticed they sold bagged ice. When I went it to pay I couldn't believe what all they sold. I'm in there all the time now. It's great for picking up odds and ends for my senior parents who only need a couple of items. Charcoal, sardines, mascara, tomato sauce, cat chow, condoms, a phillips head screwdriver, Imodium, tiki torches, Jesus candles, deer corn, propane refills, Fabuloso, baked beans, State Fair corn dogs, greeting cards, Little Tree air fresheners, fake long stem roses, DVDs, extension cords, and at home marijuana drug test kits. I don't know what else folks want?
Odds & Ends is a good way to say it. That seems to be what they're in place for.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Odds & Ends is a good way to say it. That seems to be what they're in place for.
A couple months ago I was at CVS, and when I came back out I heard a horrible noise from across the street. A big truck had pulled into the Dollar General across the street (I don't know why. He was making a delivery and very obviously should have backed in.) and was trying to back out into the road, and caught one of those steel/concrete posts between his hood and bumper.

I ran across and helped guide him out, and gave him the option of continuing back and ripping half his bumper off, or trying to get unstuck. He opted for the former, so once I got him turned around and backed into the lot, I told him I'd help him do something to hold his bumper on until he could get back to his yard and have it replaced.

Only time I'd ever been inside one of those stores, but I had him buy some ratchet straps and duct tape. What garbage. The duct tape was so thin you could almost see through it.

Wow, that seems like more story than necessary, but I'm not editing it out. :confused:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
WV is a small state and it is split into smaller counties for a total of 55.

Many of these are rural areas with smaller towns.

In my county for years there was two Dollar General and one went out of business. The other one they shut down and built a new on maybe a quarter of mile away.

Now in our small county we have four and one is being built across the street from the one that was closed years ago so a total of Five.

It seems like they were around random areas years ago but now they are exploding everywhere. I have only been in a couple as a quick stop off after work to pick up some snacks or drinks but I dont know how they get away with it.

There is no way some of the store aisles meet fire codes as they are so narrow. And Every time I have been in one there have always been boxes or carts with boxes on them in some of the aisles. Have head many of the women at work complain about it as well.
One of the employees told one of the ladies that they will not hire enough employees so normally they are short handed. Which means in some cases they expect a couple of employees and sometimes just one...to Unload stuff from truck. Stock the shelves, keep the floors clean, clean bathrooms on top of checking people out as cashier. Kind of crazy.
It’s a rough business. Profits are pennies on the dollar. It does provide the needy with cheap crap at a cheap price.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are a few here and there by me. But I haven't seen anything in them for sale for $1.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The one DG here in podunk VT was robbed at gun point twice in the last week.

I don't go there much but I do hit them up for cleaning supplies when I have an apartment to turn over. Cheap and convenient.

A few years ago I ran over on a break from work. A box of twinkies caught my eye and I bought them. Back at work a bit later I opened them up and took a big bite with the anticipation of enjoying one of the great treats of my youth. My coworker happened to be looking at me as I took that first bite. Apparently the face I made as I immediately spit that garbage out was noteworthy. It comes up in the conversation to this day. Don't buy the Dollar Store twinkies!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The one DG here in podunk VT was robbed at gun point twice in the last week.

I don't go there much but I do hit them up for cleaning supplies when I have an apartment to turn over. Cheap and convenient.

A few years ago I ran over on a break from work. A box of twinkies caught my eye and I bought them. Back at work a bit later I opened them up and took a big bite with the anticipation of enjoying one of the great treats of my youth. My coworker happened to be looking at me as I took that first bite. Apparently the face I made as I immediately spit that garbage out was noteworthy. It comes up in the conversation to this day. Don't buy the Dollar Store twinkies!
Wouldn’t touch any food from a Dollar Store even if you paid me. Even the food donations bank is fresher.