How many dollar general stores are in or being built in your basic area?

rags747

Reaction score
I’m not going to engage you in an argument. If you want to put it out there for the world that you are fine with highly profitable companies, paying their employees crap wages and making them work in poor conditions. Then that’s fine. Feel free to put that out there.
Describe crap wages please. Is $15 per hour to stock shelves a crap wage? Ty…

HungryLion

Reaction score
The wages depends on the area where someone lives.

All I said was highly profitable companies that don’t pay well and have poor working conditions deserve criticism, and you took exception to that comment. Thats your choice.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dollar General pays $13.25 an hour in Denver. I just checked Texas and the average Dollar General wage is $9.36. That is a starvation wage in the modern United States. You can’t even pay rent and groceries in most cities on that.

Anyone that works full time should be able to afford a modest, but dignified existence in a country as prosperous as ours.

These wages are horrendous, and for a publicly traded company that pays a 1.75% dividend yield annually on its stock to treat its employees that way is frankly unacceptable.

rags747

Reaction score
Dollar General pays $13.25 an hour in Denver. I just checked Texas and the average Dollar General wage is $9.36. That is a starvation wage in the modern United States. You can’t even pay rent and groceries in most cities on that.

Anyone that works full time should be able to afford a modest, but dignified existence in a country as prosperous as ours.

These wages are horrendous, and for a publicly traded company that pays a 1.75% dividend yield annually on its stock to treat its employees that way is frankly unacceptable.
In my mind 1.75% dividend is a loser dividend. Again in my mind it is not up to the corporations to pay above a starvation level, corporations should pay what a job is worth And nothing more. Should corporations treat employees with respect, of course they should as that is just human decency. Expecting someone to pay you above what a given task is worth is just giving a handout.

Do you think it is DG’s responsibility to make sure that you can buy groceries and pay rent?

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In my mind 1.75% dividend is a loser dividend. Again in my mind it is not up to the corporations to pay above a starvation level, corporations should pay what a job is worth And nothing more. Should corporations treat employees with respect, of course they should as that is just human decency. Expecting someone to pay you above what a given task is worth is just giving a handout.

Do you think it is DG’s responsibility to make sure that you can buy groceries and pay rent?
If someone works at DG and they don’t make enough to buy groceries and pay rent, it’s that person’s responsibility to get a 2nd job. Or get a higher paying job.

I currently work 2 jobs. I don’t “need” money from the 2nd job now. I just do it because I enjoy it.

And
My dad worked 3 jobs when I was young because we needed the money back then for our family.
He never complained about it or expected anyone to give him handouts.

Of course my father and I aren’t entitled and don’t expect others to take care of us. I guess we were raised differently.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cant say that I ever go to Dollar General in Dallas.
But when I visit my parents in a small town in Virginia, I go to one almost every time.
Maybe this one is an exception, but the people working there are great, the store is clean and well run.
We drive further for produce or quality meats. But they have the basics

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not their responsibility to make sure someone buys groceries and pays rent. They can not tell an employee what to do with check.

However...

If you are a full time employee that does a number of jobs for the company and put your life at risk due to no security to stop a growing trend of attacks on your employees... And said employee is doing this for a lesser wage...
Yes the company should pay a competitive wage which in turn give the employee the financial means so they are not living at poverty levels.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Capitalism is the best method. But some times greed makes people only see the numbers and decimal points.

A few things can happen with disgruntled DG employees

1 Find a better paying job or a job that does not try to force you to do the work of many.
Since the current pay rate is so low for them, chances are you might find another job for the
same or more. Fastfood joints alway looking for employees. Many nursing homes will pay for you to get your CNA. There are other retails jobs out there too. Wally Wolrd Drug stores and so on.
Sad thing is a lot of these retail companies do not want you to work any hours that might start OT or other possible perks.

2 You could do most of this yourself but paying a lawyer too much tends to get results faster. First DOCUMENT EVERYTHING keep any emails, memos, letters and keep a journal of what happens
Look up the state fire code for space in store and in aisles. They might get an exception for the thin aisles however i doubt they would overlook boxes and dollies in the aisle.
Contact and express issues with cooperate multiple times. Even if it is just three and they do nothing...do it. And as mentioned above keep emails.
Make videos and post on social media. Post it to corp hq. Post it on other companies sites. Have as many people as you can to post it on the Corp HQ.
Social Media tends to get to more people these days. However depending where you live the Local Media are starved for stories, esp newspapers and local news/ Let them know how bad it is. If it is a tV news station, give them a copy of the video.
Still a lot of people who watch local news.

Just kind of sad when someone is trying to make an honest living. Maybe they are young and just starting out.
Maybe it is someone who has made legal mistakes and paid for it, maybe someone who fought off the drugs and alcohol. All kinds of scenarios where someone is trying to make an honest living.

Then we get people so worried about the bottom line. Does anyone think the top brass, who makes a LOT more than the store employee, would say...You know I get paid a killer wage. Maybe I can reinvest in the company and put help the employees have a better wage
But I tell you what if corporate needs a little help they will take some of it from the little mans level.

Continue to treat you employees, the only good ones you get will move on. You will hurt your own business because everyone will know you do not pay good wages and the store does not care about you other than you being a meat sack to make money for them.

Pay a good wage and treat the employees like human beings and not just a bean count. And the company will start getting better employees.

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In my mind 1.75% dividend is a loser dividend.
You’re missing the point. I don’t care about the quality of the dividend, but rather the existence of a dividend at all. If a company regularly has excess cash on hand at the end of a fiscal period and elects to return a dividend to shareholders rather than pay a non-poverty line wage to their employees, there may be a problem here.

At the end of the day, I suppose my opinion here is irrelevant. I just believe that a business model which relies on exploiting your workers in order to succeed is unethical, but I understand that others may think differently.

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
WV is a small state and it is split into smaller counties for a total of 55.

Many of these are rural areas with smaller towns.

In my county for years there was two Dollar General and one went out of business. The other one they shut down and built a new on maybe a quarter of mile away.

Now in our small county we have four and one is being built across the street from the one that was closed years ago so a total of Five.

It seems like they were around random areas years ago but now they are exploding everywhere. I have only been in a couple as a quick stop off after work to pick up some snacks or drinks but I dont know how they get away with it.

There is no way some of the store aisles meet fire codes as they are so narrow. And Every time I have been in one there have always been boxes or carts with boxes on them in some of the aisles. Have head many of the women at work complain about it as well.
One of the employees told one of the ladies that they will not hire enough employees so normally they are short handed. Which means in some cases they expect a couple of employees and sometimes just one...to Unload stuff from truck. Stock the shelves, keep the floors clean, clean bathrooms on top of checking people out as cashier. Kind of crazy.
...Brain, its the sign of the times. The spread of the rich, middle and poor is becoming wider. The middle dont even classify anymore.

I see what your saying. We have stores like 99cent, 5 n Below, Dollar general etc.... They are everywhere.

The homeless pop, is like Jiminy Cricket. I live in basic urban area. But on the peripheral, the drop off is real.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Capitalism is the best method. But some times greed makes people only see the numbers and decimal points.

A few things can happen with disgruntled DG employees

1 Find a better paying job or a job that does not try to force you to do the work of many.
Since the current pay rate is so low for them, chances are you might find another job for the
same or more. Fastfood joints alway looking for employees. Many nursing homes will pay for you to get your CNA. There are other retails jobs out there too. Wally Wolrd Drug stores and so on.
Sad thing is a lot of these retail companies do not want you to work any hours that might start OT or other possible perks.

2 You could do most of this yourself but paying a lawyer too much tends to get results faster. First DOCUMENT EVERYTHING keep any emails, memos, letters and keep a journal of what happens
Look up the state fire code for space in store and in aisles. They might get an exception for the thin aisles however i doubt they would overlook boxes and dollies in the aisle.
Contact and express issues with cooperate multiple times. Even if it is just three and they do nothing...do it. And as mentioned above keep emails.
Make videos and post on social media. Post it to corp hq. Post it on other companies sites. Have as many people as you can to post it on the Corp HQ.
Social Media tends to get to more people these days. However depending where you live the Local Media are starved for stories, esp newspapers and local news/ Let them know how bad it is. If it is a tV news station, give them a copy of the video.
Still a lot of people who watch local news.

Just kind of sad when someone is trying to make an honest living. Maybe they are young and just starting out.
Maybe it is someone who has made legal mistakes and paid for it, maybe someone who fought off the drugs and alcohol. All kinds of scenarios where someone is trying to make an honest living.

Then we get people so worried about the bottom line. Does anyone think the top brass, who makes a LOT more than the store employee, would say...You know I get paid a killer wage. Maybe I can reinvest in the company and put help the employees have a better wage
But I tell you what if corporate needs a little help they will take some of it from the little mans level.

Continue to treat you employees, the only good ones you get will move on. You will hurt your own business because everyone will know you do not pay good wages and the store does not care about you other than you being a meat sack to make money for them.

Pay a good wage and treat the employees like human beings and not just a bean count. And the company will start getting better employees.
That’s my view of it.

I think businesses are able to make a lot of money WHILE paying their employees a decent wage. So, I prefer to reward the companies that do when I get a chance, as a consumer. When I can of course.

I certainly don’t begrudge people who choose to shop there. But I do think it’s fair to criticize business practices you don’t agree with.

1942willys

Reaction score
Family Dollar is doing nothing that the vast majority of companies are doing in this day and age.
The hand wringing here about them is probably from the same people that happily go to walmart which does many of the same things
Nuts Harvard Business School teaches them to do this sort of thing.
A company can pay what it wants; people can choose to work for it or not.
Those wanting more regulation just makes the whole system more sluggish and worse
Minimum wage was NEVER meant to sustain people.
All that increasing minimum wage does is drive up prices so no one wins.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Family Dollar is doing nothing that the vast majority of companies are doing in this day and age.
The hand wringing here about them is probably from the same people that happily go to walmart which does many of the same things
Those wanting more regulation just makes the whole system more sluggish and worse
So, does this diatribe mean you're in favor of corporations treating their employees like crap?

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is simply not true.

Look back at the history of how the first federal minimum wage was passed and you’ll see that it was in fact intended for the purpose of ensuring that people could at least afford to survive off it.

All that aside. I agree with you on Walmart and a lot of other companies doing the same things. Which is a bad thing IMO

rags747

Reaction score
Corporations should always treat employees with respect. Corporations should pay employees fairly for the services rendered. Corporations are not responsible to pay a wage that allows the employee to live above the poverty level.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except they are paying a lesser wage than their competitors, having less employees doing more and putting more of their employees in dangerous situations.

Walmart as bad as they are in many aspects. Has multiple employees. Many times cashiers, cleaners, shelf stockers, unloading trucks and security are not the same employee doing the job in a shift. Most times they have different employees doing it with occasional cross overs but with that not in the same shift and in some cases by themselves.

Increasing minimum wages do not have to increase prices if corporate higher ups decide to sacrifice a little for the company or other perks. That has been a long held full of crap way for the upper to keep the lower worker down.

At one time the upper corporate employees would make a specific percentage more than the base worker.
And in this time a person could live on a decent wage at a less than high end job. Enough to not live in poverty.

However what happened is the percentage to the upper portions of the company have multiplied by a huge percentage where the base employees has been stagnate or have only grown in micro measures compared to corporate..

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Corporations should always treat employees with respect. Corporations should pay employees fairly for the services rendered. Corporations are not responsible to pay a wage that allows the employee to live above the poverty level.
If a corporation does not pay a wage that allows them to live above poverty levels than that corporation is NOT treating the employees with respect and they are not paying the employees fairly for services rendered.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If a corporation does not pay a wage that allows them to live above poverty levels than that corporation is NOT treating the employees with respect and they are not paying the employees fairly for services rendered.

If people would stop being lazy and start working more than 40 hours a week, minimum wage will allow a person to live above the poverty line.

There is nothing wrong or immoral to expect someone to work more than 40 hours a week. Heck, I work about twice that myself, and I enjoy it.

There are 168 hours a week. Subtract 60 hours for sleep, and there are still 108 hours a week.

People need to stop complaining and get off the couch for more than 40 hours a week.

rags747

Reaction score

Why do you believe that a corporation is responsible to keep people above the poverty level? If stocking shelves is worth $15 per hour you feel that in order to keep that employee above poverty level the corporation needs to pay $30 per hour? Do you pay the guy to cut your grass or paint your home twice what the job is worth just so that he or she can now buy dinner? If so God Bless.

It’s all very basic, pay what the job is worth, nothing more nothing less. As you said What is so hard to understand? Be kind to people, don’t hurt them with smoke and mirrors.