How many dollar general stores are in or being built in your basic area?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If people would stop being lazy and start working more than 40 hours a week, minimum wage will allow a person to live above the poverty line.

There is nothing wrong or immoral to expect someone to work more than 40 hours a week. Heck, I work about twice that myself, and I enjoy it.

There are 168 hours a week. Subtract 60 hours for sleep, and there are still 108 hours a week.

People need to stop complaining and get off the couch for more than 40 hours a week.
Problem with your argument is it goes against what DG and some others do.
They do NOT let a large portion of their employees to work 40 hours a week let alone more.

Cheaper for them to stagger employees to keep them from having to pay any overtime.

Some places will ask their managment to work the over time hours but off the clock.

Years ago wally world got in trouble with that. And it is reported that DG has done that as well.

So your argument does not fit this scenario.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you believe that a corporation is responsible to keep people above the poverty level? If stocking shelves is worth $15 per hour you feel that in order to keep that employee above poverty level the corporation needs to pay $30 per hour? Do you pay the guy to cut your grass or paint your home twice what the job is worth just so that he or she can now buy dinner? If so God Bless.

It’s all very basic, pay what the job is worth, nothing more nothing less. As you said What is so hard to understand? Be kind to people, don’t hurt them with smoke and mirrors.
You are making no sense.
First you say they should respect the employee and I say that it is not so you seem to ignore that part.
By paying a wage and limited hours that does not keep an employee above poverty levels is NOT being respectful of an employee.

You also keep bringing up $15 per hour. That might be in some areas but it is not the norm for DG.
And if they are only going to give you a limited number of hours a week in order to keep you from getting OT or any other perks...that is not as ok as some make it out to look.

What really sucks is there are ton of lazy people out there that do not want to work. But the ones that do and get treated like DG is treating its employees is sleazy and there is no way around it.

Look you can think the practices that DG and a few others do are just dandy A ok so be it.

I do not

You can argue otherwise and we can agree to disagree.

But dont try to say they show their employees respect

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem with your argument is it goes against what DG and some others do.
They do NOT let a large portion of their employees to work 40 hours a week let alone more.

Cheaper for them to stagger employees to keep them from having to pay any overtime.

Some places will ask their managment to work the over time hours but off the clock.

Years ago wally world got in trouble with that. And it is reported that DG has done that as well.

So your argument does not fit this scenario.
I completely understand. That’s why I said in a previous post that people should work 2 jobs if 1 minimum wage job doesn’t sustain them.

There’s nothing wrong with it, and people have MORE than enough time every week to do so. There are also HELP WANTED signs all over the place in every city.

The only thing stopping people is their own laziness and self-entitlement.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely understand. That’s why I said in a previous post that people should work 2 jobs if 1 minimum wage job doesn’t sustain them.

There’s nothing wrong with it, and people have MORE than enough time every week to do so. There are also HELP WANTED signs all over the place in every city.

The only thing stopping people is their own laziness and self-entitlement.
Two jobs is one thing.

But the main topic of this thread is about DG. :cool:

1942willys

Reaction score
This is simply not true.

Look back at the history of how the first federal minimum wage was passed and you’ll see that it was in fact intended for the purpose of ensuring that people could at least afford to survive off it.

All that aside. I agree with you on Walmart and a lot of other companies doing the same things. Which is a bad thing IMO
I don't know where you got the idea that a minimum wage was meant to live on but its wrong. You can talk about the history all you want but it is meant as a STARTING wage for someone who does not have to live on it and nothing else. The so called premise you talk about was NEVER serious.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't know where you got the idea that a minimum wage was meant to live on but its wrong. You can talk about the history all you want but it is meant as a STARTING wage for someone who does not have to live on it and nothing else. The so called premise you talk about was NEVER serious.
From the president of the United States when the law was passed. Thats who I got the idea from.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AND trying to single out DG is BS when virtually all large companies are doing the same thing
The name of the thread asks about DG.
Also if you watched the segment...it said that DG was one of the lowest paying employers compared to its peers.

Nobody said they were the only one doing it.

Saying that others do it is not a valued excuse for DG to do it.

Reminds me of what most Moms say to their kids at least once in life the equivalent of...If you all your friends would jump off a bridge would you do it too.

rags747

Reaction score
Everyone here seems to have a hard-on for DG. All of my posts are in principle, I could care less about DG. If DG is so bad then why do people continue to work there? There are lots of places that need their shelves stocked, some such as Costco pay very well. What’s up with that? Why work at DG when evidently they suck?

I will say that I have been in one DG in my lifetime, about 1 year ago actually. No plans to go back as I thought it was a dump. I much prefer Dillard’s.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No comment on this other than posting the quote

“It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.”​

― Franklin D. Roosevelt

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone here seems to have a hard-on for DG. All of my posts are in principle, I could care less about DG. If DG is so bad then why do people continue to work there? There are lots of places that need their shelves stocked, some such as Costco pay very well. What’s up with that? Why work at DG when evidently they suck?

I will say that I have been in one DG in my lifetime, about 1 year ago actually. No plans to go back as I thought it was a dump. I much prefer Dillard’s.
Might have something to do with the title of the thread that you opened up and decided to discuss. :cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And with that I bid you all a good evening.
Heading out for the night.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If people would stop being lazy and start working more than 40 hours a week, minimum wage will allow a person to live above the poverty line.

There is nothing wrong or immoral to expect someone to work more than 40 hours a week. Heck, I work about twice that myself, and I enjoy it.

There are 168 hours a week. Subtract 60 hours for sleep, and there are still 108 hours a week.

People need to stop complaining and get off the couch for more than 40 hours a week.
Some businesses don't allow their workers to work OT. I average about 9 hours OT a week (down from about 11 a few years ago). I used to put in 50-58 hours a week, then work a second job as a bouncer on Friday and Saturday nights. It wore me out, and I still only made enough money to stay afloat. Fortunately, my company gave us drivers a pretty significant raise a couple of years ago, so now I'm doing a bit better. Still won't be able to retire until I'm 67 to 70, but at least I'm looking at the possibility.

My company tries to to right by us, mostly, but people shouldn't have to work themselves to death just to make a modest living. Also, a lot of people who work at places like DG have other commitments and people to take care of. My mother work 2 to 3 jobs at a time to support 5 of us, when I was growing up. She was lucky that she got the opportunity to advance in her profession.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My company tries to to right by us, mostly, but people shouldn't have to work themselves to death just to make a modest living. Also, a lot of people who work at places like DG have other commitments and people to take care of. My mother work 2 to 3 jobs at a time to support 5 of us, when I was growing up. She was lucky that she got the opportunity to advance in her profession.

I’m glad that your mom was a hard worker. That’s a rare trait in today’s society.

She CHOSE to have 5 people to support, so it was HER RESPONSIBILITY to work multiple jobs to support them. Good for her.

People need to start making good decisions. Choices have consequences.

If someone chooses to have multiple commitments or people to take care of, then they have to understand that they may need to work multiple jobs to make it happen or they need to acquire the skills to obtain a single good paying job.

It’s not DG’s responsibility to bankroll someone’s choices that they can’t handle themselves.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m glad that your mom was a hard worker. That’s a rare trait in today’s society.

She CHOSE to have 5 people to support, so it was HER RESPONSIBILITY to work multiple jobs to support them. Good for her.

If someone chooses to have multiple commitments or people to take care of, then they have to understand that they may need to work multiple jobs to make it happen or they need to acquire the skills to obtain a single good paying job.

It’s not DG’s responsibility to bankroll someone’s choices that they can’t handle themselves.
She had 5 kids while she had my father to support us. He left when I was 6, leaving her with a new mortgage on an old house, no high school diploma, and no job. She was lucky to find a decent main job, but that wasn't nearly enough to get by, so she waited tables too.

Not everyone is lucky enough or capable enough to do what she did.

Nobody's saying DG should pay its employees $60k a year, but the pay should be commensurate with the amount of work they do.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Not trying to say people shouldn't be accountable and there are consequences, but I think the problem is a society can decay to a point where there is no way out.

What made America great was the middle class always had upwards mobility and the ability to live a decent life with a middle class wage. Now? Not so sure.

Take college for example. Most likely, unless you are gifted enough to have scholarships, you're going through community college first, and then headed to a state school. It's just too darn expensive.

The ivy leagues or local private institution that spits out the future civic leaders will never be available for someone of modest abilities, unlike the upper class where it doesn't matter. Someone donated or had connections.

And that right there starts your life, your network, and everything that comes your way. What type of medical support do you have growing up to stop later-in-life issues? Do you even have a mature role model who can explain life's expectations?

Don't want to turn this into a big P thread, but you could list hundreds of examples like this that are becoming more and more prevalent as the middle class disappears.

So I hear you, but I think at some point as the divide gets bigger, everyone has to step back and ask if that reality still exists.

rags747

Reaction score
Not trying to say people shouldn't be accountable and there are consequences, but I think the problem is a society can decay to a point where there is no way out.

What made America great was the middle class always had upwards mobility and the ability to live a decent life with a middle class wage. Now? Not so sure.

Take college for example. Most likely, unless you are gifted enough to have scholarships, you're going through community college first, and then headed to a state school. It's just too darn expensive.

The ivy leagues or local private institution that spits out the future civic leaders will never be available for someone of modest abilities, unlike the upper class where it doesn't matter. Someone donated or had connections.

And that right there starts your life, your network, and everything that comes your way. What type of medical support do you have growing up to stop later-in-life issues? Do you even have a mature role model who can explain life's expectations?

Don't want to turn this into a big P thread, but you could list hundreds of examples like this that are becoming more and more prevalent as the middle class disappears.

So I hear you, but I think at some point as the divide gets bigger, everyone has to step back and ask if that reality still exists.
Do you have a solution in mind for this?

1942willys

Reaction score
From the president of the United States when the law was passed. Thats who I got the idea from.
Well he was a politician so there you are. Now as regards inflation, no its not been a living wage for a long time.
and since nothing has really been done about THAT, anyone claiming that it is more than a starting wage is a fool