How many dollar general stores are in or being built in your basic area?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The one DG here in podunk VT was robbed at gun point twice in the last week.

I don't go there much but I do hit them up for cleaning supplies when I have an apartment to turn over. Cheap and convenient.

A few years ago I ran over on a break from work. A box of twinkies caught my eye and I bought them. Back at work a bit later I opened them up and took a big bite with the anticipation of enjoying one of the great treats of my youth. My coworker happened to be looking at me as I took that first bite. Apparently the face I made as I immediately spit that garbage out was noteworthy. It comes up in the conversation to this day. Don't buy the Dollar Store twinkies!
One of the things John Oliver talked about was stores being robbed and employees being told not to close the store.

Mannix

Reaction score
I moved about a year ago. In the small city/large town where I previously lived, there were three Dollar Generals, one Dollar Tree, and a Family Dollar. There are at least five more Dollar Generals spread throughout the county.

I have not been in one in years so have no personal experience on their current state. But Last Week Tonight did a segment on dollar stores a week or so ago about the conditions, etc.
Don't you mean the $1.25 Tree? :muttley:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
One of the things John Oliver talked about was stores being robbed and employees being told not to close the store.
I'll likely think twice about doing business there now. I didn't know they had that sort of reputation. Now that you mention it though, there is often a lot of drama surrounding that place on local social media.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll likely think twice about doing business there now. I didn't know they had that sort of reputation. Now that you mention it though, there is often a lot of drama surrounding that place on local social media.
Well, I don't know if social media is a reputable way to judge anything, but the company does seem like a piece of garbage. I recommend watching the episode of Last Week Tonight. It's a hilarious show.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
we have 5 in a ten mile radius. Problem is they are not staffed well and have to close some days. 8.00 and hour and its hard to find people.

catiii

Reaction score
3 within 5 miles. Everyone who works there - usually only 1 person - is friendly and works their butts off.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Who's being all high and mighty? You wanna shop at a store that treats its employees like trash, has rats living in the stockroom, and a slue of other sketchy practices, knock yourself out. BTW, one of the subjects mentioned is that the prices aren't necessarily cheaper, just that the quantity is less, and it's often more expensive per unit.

I'm not telling anyone else to shop there, I just just choose not to myself.
That’s just it. A lot of the time it is more expensive per unit, but for people on very tight budgets they can’t afford to buy things that are cheaper in bulk because they don’t have the money up front.

So in the end, the consumer ends up paying MORE Over time.

Just one more reason poverty is a tough cycle to get out of.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
They are and have been popping up all over Louisiana for years....It's like Mos Eisley in there

HungryLion

Reaction score
ITs real easy to say I will never shop there when you are not watching every penny you spend because you have to. Fact is you save money at Dollar stores - sometimes even cheaper than Walmart.
When people are so stressed out trying to make ends meet anything helps. I have seen exactly what has been discussed as regards not hiring sufficient workers. But then some of their prices are so much cheaper maybe one should not be shocked. You have to cut corners to be cheaper anymore.
In rural america where you might have to travel 30-50 miles or even more to get to a walmart and the local supermarkets are more expensive, then Dollars stores help a lot of people on the edge survive. so do not act so high and mighty about it.
I didn’t see his comments as attacking the people who shop at dollar general, but dollar general’s business practices.

Any company that pays their CEO 15+ mil per year, but pays their workers crap wages and makes them work in bad conditions, deserves criticism. IMO. Because you know what else helps people in poverty? A good paying job.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Used to shop at Dollar Tree with mom growing up. Used to get all of her cleaning products and household stuff there.

Here in Denver we’ve got a handful, but they aren’t very widespread (probably due to Colorado’s relative affluence compared to other states). I went to the one by my place to get a few things and was honestly shocked at how disheveled it was. Stuff was all over the floor, couldn’t find anything, maybe one employee, just absolute chaos. I spent 15 minutes trying to find some basic stuff like a shower curtain, a few sponges, etc and finally gave up. Almost everything in there was just garbage odds and ends that I would never intentionally look for.

It certainly is a good spot to go when you need to watch every dollar going out, but if you can afford to spare a few bucks I find shopping nearly anywhere else infinitely more convenient. Pretty much the biggest issue is that you never know what dollar tree is going to have, which is problematic if you have specific things you need to get.

rags747

Reaction score
I didn’t see his comments as attacking the people who shop at dollar general, but dollar general’s business practices.

Any company that pays their CEO 15+ mil per year, but pays their workers crap wages and makes them work in bad conditions, deserves criticism. IMO. Because you know what else helps people in poverty? A good paying job.
FYI, it’s not a company’s responsibility to provide a good paying job. It’s an individuals responsibility to land a good paying job By making him/herself marketable. Stocking shelves will never produce a good paying job.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
FYI, it’s not a company’s responsibility to provide a good paying job. It’s an individuals responsibility to land a good paying job By making him/herself marketable. Stocking shelves will never produce a good paying job.
It is not a company’s responsibility to make you rich, but it absolutely is their responsibility to try and do right by their employees if they are able. Massive corporations like dollar tree are able, but often elect not to.

That’s how my barbershop owning mother always operated and I think it is a fair and honest guideline when running a business.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that would be a good point if you said that stocking shelves will never produce a good paying job...HOWEVER...should be close to the same amount among retail chains or if that is your main job at the store.

Dollar General pay is ranked among the lowest of retail stores and they are expecting the same employee to do check out. offload stock from truck, stock shelves, clean store and provide own security.

Big ask for the lowest pay vs others who do around one of those tasks vs all of them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Used to shop at Dollar Tree with mom growing up. Used to get all of her cleaning products and household stuff there.

Here in Denver we’ve got a handful, but they aren’t very widespread (probably due to Colorado’s relative affluence compared to other states). I went to the one by my place to get a few things and was honestly shocked at how disheveled it was. Stuff was all over the floor, couldn’t find anything, maybe one employee, just absolute chaos. I spent 15 minutes trying to find some basic stuff like a shower curtain, a few sponges, etc and finally gave up. Almost everything in there was just garbage odds and ends that I would never intentionally look for.

It certainly is a good spot to go when you need to watch every dollar going out, but if you can afford to spare a few bucks I find shopping nearly anywhere else infinitely more convenient. Pretty much the biggest issue is that you never know what dollar tree is going to have, which is problematic if you have specific things you need to get.
Yeah, from what I saw the one time I was in one, it's like an indoor tag sale.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Good point by many on here.

They really are good for getting cleaning products.
Seems odd but that is about the only time the wife goes in there is when she is getting cleaning products.
Candles, paper plates, Cleaning supplies and Ice cream.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This may surprise some but it is one of the best stocks on Wall Street.........very profitable

BTW......they adding another hub called DG. These are new stores aimed at attracting more high-end customers. From my understand, you can expect to see these stores in more suburban communities.

What is the difference between Dollar General and Popshelf?

In an effort to cater to customers who want a more upscale shopping experience, Dollar General is opening retail locations that operate under a different brand. These stores are called pOpshelf, and they're meant to appeal to wealthier and more suburban customers.Oct 12, 2023

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DG?p=DG&.tsrc=fin-srch

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m not going to engage you in an argument. If you want to put it out there for the world that you are fine with highly profitable companies, paying their employees crap wages and making them work in poor conditions. Then that’s fine. Feel free to put that out there.

HungryLion

Reaction score
that would be a good point if you said that stocking shelves will never produce a good paying job...HOWEVER...should be close to the same amount among retail chains or if that is your main job at the store.

Dollar General pay is ranked among the lowest of retail stores and they are expecting the same employee to do check out. offload stock from truck, stock shelves, clean store and provide own security.

Big ask for the lowest pay vs others who do around one of those tasks vs all of them.
That’s just it. Nobody is saying somebody should get rich while working an entry level job at dollar general.

That being said, they SHOULD be paid at least a wage they can survive on and have decent working conditions.

decades ago, right out of high school, my mom got a job at Lipton tea, packing boxes for shipping.

She made enough money at that job to afford an apartment and live decently on her own until she met my dad and they got married. She actually really liked her job and said they treated her well. She just left because she was a stay at home mom once me and my sister were born. My dad made enough money that she didn’t have to work.

And hey what do you know, Lipton is still around and hasn’t gone out of business.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
That’s just it. Nobody is saying somebody should get rich while working an entry level job at dollar general.

That being said, they SHOULD be paid at least a wage they can survive on and have decent working conditions.

decades ago, right out of high school, my mom got a job at Lipton tea, packing boxes for shipping.

She made enough money at that job to afford an apartment and live decently on her own until she met my dad and they got married. She actually really liked her job and said they treated her well. She just left because she was a stay at home mom once me and my sister were born. My dad made enough money that she didn’t have to work.

And hey what do you know, Lipton is still around and hasn’t gone out of business.
Don't want to get too much into it, but history has shown that if you don't hold companies accountable, they will always go for the dollar over the worker conditions.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're evil people, just easy to ignore conditions when you're in the office and the reality is happening somewhere else.

Whether our own country back in the days before OSHA, women and children's labor laws, etc... or today's world where we outsource to developing countries.

Or yes, even in our own backyard with Dollar General. Just because it still beats conditions in Vietnam, Pakistan or China, doesn't mean it's right.

But reality is no one will ever focus on that, so raise your kids right, cause no one else will look out for them. Make sure they're nerds, not athletes. Don't let them get stuck in a life that doesn't encourage upward mobility.