How Much Confidence Do You Have in Jalen Tolbert?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Turpin.

I actually agree with you. I'm not down on Tolbert (I wanted to draft him round 2), and I can see he's the real deal just by the practice highlights as well. Still, there's a little doubt left because they don't have a long time of building chemistry together. And I don't want to see Dak get cute. Just hang in there for the short routes for a few reps to get their timing down in game situations.

And Gallup is my favorite player. He could easily have another 1,000 yard season, so I hope he gets back this year sooner rather than later.

What the Cowboys do as far as WR will give me a better idea of the projected timetable of his return.

Tolbert has been working with Dak all offseason. Hasnt missed any OTA's or TC practices.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

Are fans just not as confident in Tolbert because he's a rookie?

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

If all goes well, I can see him even surpassing Cooper's 2021 production.

What is your general confidence level in Tolbert?
Good player. Good potential. Rookie wideouts though... That is a position where rookies typically need time to develop.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Can't wait till the regular season starts; lots of these questions will be answered then. Plenty of talk, hoopla, expectations, but when the season starts we'll find out if it carries any weight. Till then continue to shoot the sheet, drama at it's best.

morasp

Reaction score
The 2nd & 3rd WR snaps will be a 'by committee' approach until Gallup returns.

Alvin Harper only exceeded a 50% catch rate once in his career and that 1 season was only a 53.7% rate.

If the 2022 running game is good, if CeeDee plays like a #1 WR and if Schultz repeats his 2021 receiving success, then they should be able to win until Gallup returns.
- Based on training camp video, it appears that Pollard will be used more as a receiver with both Pollard and Zeke on the field together.
- Kellen Moore wants to use more 2 TE sets regardless of the WR depth chart.
- If one of Ferguson or McKeon can just match Jarwin's receiving ability, then Moore will use a lot of 2 TE sets.
- That's not a super high bar...
In simple terms, one of the committee members will still need to be able to beat single coverage. Whichever WR emerges that can do that on a consistent basis will end up being WR2.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I have very little confidence in Tolbert to start the season, but that's not a knock against him, he's a rookie. It takes some time to learn and get adjusted to the NFL game, the speed, caliber of players, learning what he can and can't do. That stuff takes experience, regardless of whatever he did in college, the pros are a different animal. I expect by the end of the season, he will look much better and will be able to be counted on, but that's a tall task on game 1.

I would rather get a vet like Emmauel Sanders, a proven vet, minimal prep time, proven reliable, still has the skills and experience to be successful. That helps take the pressure off Tolbert, still giving him some valuable learning time. It also gives some insurance for Gallup, I don't expect him to be in mid-season form those first couple games back either. Hopefully we don't need Sanders to perform at the end of the season, where that age will start creeping up, but it could be big in how we perform early in the season. Where records can be close, I don't won't to lose an early season game where another vet presence might have made the difference between a win or loss.

nathanlt

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

I'm cautiously optimistic that he will be very good. I expect that opposing defensive secondary corners and safeties will underestimate him early, hopefully to devastating results. Then CeeDee will remind them that he should be double covered. I think people will underestimate Dennis Houston, too. C'mon Aug 13th!!!

DanA

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert isn’t a legitimate No.2 but rather a potential no.2. Until he’s shown it on Sundays he hasn’t legitimized anything.

And while I have more confidence in him than most 3rd rounders, I don’t think it’s smart to hand any 3rd round pick a starting role without having beaten out someone with a base level of starting experience in the NFL. I don’t remember any others getting that kind of faith.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Confidence he will be a good WR in the NFL? Pretty high.

confidence he will be ready to produce at a #2 level the first few games of the season until Gallup gets back?

pretty low.

rookies take time to acclimate to the league. Only the best of the best of the best, play at a high level from their first snap.

It’s asking a lot for Tolbert to be at that level to start the season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last season, Gallup, Coop and Wilson caught 148 passes, for 1912 yards and 16 TDs combined. So if we talking just raw numbers, we are trying to replace 8.7 catches, 112 yards and 1 TD per game average. Not a big leap from this perspective......
And again, Gallup is only out about 3 games

quickccc

Reaction score
frankly i've never even seen the guy past occasional camp clips ... no way of telling unless the real games begin.

it's strictly about getting him up to speed with learning the offense and NFL pace.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

I think it doesn't matter what confidence we have, Tolbert is the one who needs to have the confidence. We can only have the hope. And of course, I hope he has the confidence to play in this league, and excel at his position. Dallas desperately needs him to hit the ground running and make plays. We shall see very soon.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In the proud tradition of these lovely forums of ours who had Rico(TE) going to the HOF :muttley:I will say 11 and another Jerry Rice even though he hasn't played a single down in the NFL!!!:muttley:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Let's just wait for the season to begin before judging any player (s). I have a gut feeling some of these rookies are going to be special!

jaybird

Reaction score

i have no idea, never seen hom on the feild.. But early reports are encouraging. The same level of maturity that Gallop had as a rookie. lets Go