How much would you pay to extend Shultz?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Maybe if he works on holding onto the ball. He's proven to be a weapon otherwise.

Verdict

Reaction score
You pay for guys like Zack Martin, Tyron in his prime, Dak (because you have to if you want a chance to win.

You can’t pay Schultz to be the next Tank/Jaylon.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The system certainly helps, but he’s still doing the work. Going on two years now. With and without Dak.

He won’t come cheap.

Im not taking anything away from him. I just think a team would be silly to sign him and think he Ivan have the type of impact he is having here without having a similar situation to what we have.

If a defense wanted to take him away I think they could do it.

Right now he’s just getting lost. But he’s good at everything.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I would love to see Schultz extended, but not at 8M per year. If he is getting paid that much let him go somewhere else and draft a guy just like him in the draft super cheap (4-6th rounds).
I'd give him a deal of 7.5 a year 20m Signing bonus for 5 years. Total 57M 20m Guaranteed

quickccc

Reaction score
The system certainly helps, but he’s still doing the work. Going on two years now. With and without Dak.

He won’t come cheap.

and whether Dak or Dalton, it's still been more a product of the system, imo.
The TEs (including Jarwin) are feasting off the attention these WRs are constantly drawing,.. and Kellen implementing roll outs and seam passes
are really paying off.

But as you post earlier, if the likes of Hunter Henry, etc. are getting paid big dollars to start elsewhere, expect the same to happen to Schultz.
Some team is gonna overpay for him, and i don't expect Stephen to match or surpass such offers.
Should Dalton depart, expect us to draft another TE prospect in the mid rounds.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
and whether Dak or Dalton, it's still been more a product of the system, imo.
The TEs (including Jarwin) are feasting off the attention these WRs are constantly drawing,.. and Kellen implementing roll outs and seam passes
are really paying off.

But as you post earlier, if the likes of Hunter Henry, etc. are getting paid big dollars to start elsewhere, expect the same to happen to Schultz.
Some team is gonna overpay for him, and i don't expect Stephen to match or surpass such offers.
Should Dalton depart, expect us to draft another TE prospect in the mid rounds.

Not that I dont want to resign him..but what your talking about is exactly why i ask..in this system would Noah Brown work? I mean we dont exactly ask our TE's to 1v1 a DE..maybe its crazy but it works in my mind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think are the options...if he asks for 12m, is that a no brainer or do we move on ...

I think we have to move on. We have too many ‘top-of-the-league’ deals as it is and a few big ones on the horizon over the next two years.

Sadly, I think the whole 2018 draft class will be out of our price range to keep.

crazy question is Noah Brown an option or hell no?

At TE? No.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s because they don’t have to pay a QB now. Lots of spending money and Bill didn’t want to go through another year like the last.

Very likely yeah. But I think it was a poor use of resources.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah, Jarwin could be flipped for a pick.

i wouldn;t do that. (jarwin)
Especially since Schultz is a FA after this year, and it will be best to have other options, sources at hand, until you can re-sign or replace a Schultz.

Aven8

Reaction score
Very likely yeah. But I think it was a poor use of resources.

I thought it was ridiculous to get two TE’s at that price. But the Judon get is looking awesome. We will find out next week.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd give him a deal of 7.5 a year 20m Signing bonus for 5 years. Total 57M 20m Guaranteed

That’s just honestly too much. The cost of doing something like you are suggesting is that you can’t afford to pay a premier player at a critical position.

You can draft a guy, like Schultz, every year in the 4th round or lower. You have to try to sign guys like him to a cheap, team friendly deal. If they won’t take it, you say thank you for your service, take your comp pick and draft a replacement.

What you don’t want to do is pay the Dalton Shultz type of players and not have money to pay Parsons, Diggs, or Osi if he turns into the next Fletcher Cox. You can’t draft guys who play like that unless you are drafting in the top 10-15 of the draft or higher. That is why those guys get paid. Valuable position and scarcity of players at that position.

Verdict

Reaction score
i wouldn;t do that. (jarwin)
Especially since Schultz is a FA after this year, and it will be best to have other options, sources at hand, until you can re-sign or replace a Schultz.
I would flip Jarwin either way. He can’t or won’t block.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Let's remember he was drafted as a blocking TE, so it's safe to say he's now the complete TE. He's quickly becoming Dak's version of what Witten was to Romo.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Everyone getting paid in the NFL now. So much money and the cap is going up, up, and up.

Would be a shame to lose really good players who do everything right on and off the field and have to watch the Lawrences and Collins and Jaylons collect huge money for nothing.

quickccc

Reaction score
Michael Gallup, ..Dalton Schultz...and Cedrick Wilson are all due to be free agents in 2022.

Ditto for Kazee, Kearse, Hooker, LVE, and Williams ...

wow, i did not realize we have so many key players due in FA next offseason.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let's remember he was drafted as a blocking TE, so it's safe to say he's now the complete TE. He's quickly becoming Dak's version of what Witten was to Romo.

Schultz was drafted in mid round (4th rd) to immediately replace sudden retired Whitten because the team saw him as a dual role TE, all around TE.
But he's really just slightly decent blocking TE, that's not really his forte. He's not a James Hanna or Geoff Swaim.

It's working those roll outs and soft seams and spots of a zone that he's very adept at.
He's been very durable too. and he's gritty tough. takes big hits and keeps in the game.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Michael Gallup, ..Dalton Schultz...and Cedrick Wilson are all due to be free agents in 2022.

Ditto for Kazee, Kearse, Hooker, LVE, and Williams ...

wow, i did not realize we have so many key players due in FA next offseason.
we can keep them all if we cut Lawrence, JSmith, and ABrown.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Odd conversation coming off one of his worst games IMO.

He could not hold onto to the ball (put the ball on the carpet IIRC three times yesterday whether they officially counted or not) and couldn’t get lined up right.