How much would you pay to extend Shultz?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I like 86 he’s a decent player who has really gotten better since he came into the league. Thought he’d be a decent 2 TE, but has turned into a quality starter. I always worry about his ball security he just doesn’t seem like a big guy and can easily get the ball knocked loose.

We paid 89 good money and I’d like to see him used more down the seam as he’s a big fast guy. I do agree that we can find guys like 86 in every draft, but I think 89 has more talent that I’d like to see more of. I don’t see 86 getting a big offer here though.

SSoup

Reaction score
Like the kid, but nope. I can't justify throwing that money at him. The job he does (being basically a 4th or 5th option) is just too easy to fill on the cheap.

There are gonna be other positions that I think will need the money more than the TE spot. For example, the safety position. Kazee and Kearse and Hooker are all pending free agents (and Donovan only has 1 year left). We're all so pleased to have good safety play right now, but keeping it will cost us.

Paying Schultz big money could be the difference between keeping our safety play good or having to start over with new people there.

T-RO

Reaction score
Problem for Schultz is I don’t think what he is good at travels. He’s good at his job but he’s like the 5th or 6th option.
If a team signed him for 12 million and wanted him in a larger role I think they’d be a little disappointed. He’s a product of the system in a lot of ways.

A lot of passes to Schultz are schemed up and teams certainly can't focus on him, so I get your point.

But a tight end who runs well, catches well and blocks well is going to get $7-12 mil easy. Much as Dallas will want him back, might just not have the money.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We can't pay 2 linemen, a QB, 2 WR, a RB a TE and now another TE big money without addressing the defense and I love love love Schultz.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's a really good system player, but I don't think he has a receiving skill set that travels. He's not athletic enough to consistently win one on one matchups with coverage LBs and safeties when the defense is actually determined to stop him. As the 4th receiving option on a team that also runs the ball really well and he ends up wide open a lot, sure he's reliable. He is always where he should be and is a good blocker. But he's not a feature skill player in an NFL offense like Kelce, Kittles, etc.

This is a good point......but remember Jason Witten was never athletic but he was smart. He could read defenses as well as Romo and knew exactly where/how to find soft spots. More importantly, Romo knew exactly where he'd be on every play....they built that kind of chemistry. Remember once saying Witten knew the playbook ( blocking assignments) of every position on offense. This is how I see Shultzs.....his impact, value to this offense and Dak is more than catching a few passes. He's a lot harder to replace than some think IMO.....I'll gladly pay max $10M to keep him.

mardwin

Reaction score
He will get somewhere between 7M-9M per season. He's a decent blocker which adds to his value.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He has reliable hands, gets open readily and blocks capably.

We might give him the going rate for a better than average TE.

About $8 mil, perhaps, if he'd be willing to take it and be satisfied.

Last edited: