How much would you pay to extend Shultz?

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Number 1, don' let him walk.

Whatever he gets, his play won't disappear.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Not in a mood to talk about extending Schultz after a game where he acted like the ball was greased down.
:angry:

But outside of yesterday, he is clearly proving to be a guy who Dak trusts, and since Dak is locked down for the immediate future, there isn't a good reason not to extend Schultz.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dunno but they can’t lose him. He’s too good at his role in this offense.

He is making his money on that play action play where he fakes the block and rolls out. He is typically wide open on that play. I like Shultz, but any number of TE's can get wide open on that play in this offense.

Its not like he is burning people deep or getting open with his speed and athleticism.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Problem for Schultz is I don’t think what he is good at travels.

He’s good at his job but he’s like the 5th or 6th option.

If a team signed him for 12 million and wanted him in a larger role I think they’d be a little disappointed.

He’s a product of the system in a lot of ways.

EXACTLY!!!

Cant keep resigning all these guys that look great in our offense. Most are a product of the system, the Oline, the OC, and Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What do you think are the options...if he asks for 12m, is that a no brainer or do we move on ...crazy question is Noah Brown an option or hell no?

Hell no you dont pay that. Pay the line, pay the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is making his money on that play action play where he fakes the block and rolls out. He is typically wide open on that play. I like Shultz, but any number of TE's can get wide open on that play in this offense.

Its not like he is burning people deep or getting open with his speed and athleticism.

Yeah.. He did juke out about half of Phillys defense last week for a TD on one of those plays though.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah.. He did juke out about half of Phillys defense last week for a TD on one of those plays though.

He is nifty. I love the guy and he can block. TE is a position you keep drafting and signing guys to reasonable contracts. Especially in this offense.

quickccc

Reaction score

Reminiscent of Jarwin vs Giants, .. but please show me clips and film of Schultz out juking and shaking away from tight coverage from safeties and LBs.
As you said earlier, he's more a product of the system, than just top pure talent .
But i am glad we have for the perfect role he is at, contributing mightily for what we are asking within his limits to do.
It's been very big.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Reminiscent of Jarwin vs Giants, .. but please show me clips and film of Schultz out juking and shaking away from tight coverage from safeties and LBs.
As you said earlier, he's more a product of the system, than just top pure talent .
But i am glad we have for the perfect role he is at, contributing mightily for what we are asking within his limits to do.
It's been very big.

He kinda does what Witten did but better.

When I say better I’m referring to the 2nd half of Witten career.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing. But what about it is overpaying?
Most players never play out their deals, especially when teams backload cap hits that have high base and little prorated signing bonus left.

The deal can be 4, 9.5, 10, 12.5, 14 for cap hits.With an out after year 2 if he fails to live up to his deal.

Now I think 10mil per is probably too high too, maybe settle for 8-9mil per, but cap hits can be played with to make the numbers work.

I don't see him as average. Elite or great? Nope. But those guys are entering the mid teens on deals signed a year or two back.
I like the player. But you can find guys like him in every draft in the middle to late rounds.

Verdict

Reaction score
You really can't.
Actually you can. He’s a very good player. Witten, who was very good at one time was a third round pick.

Tight ends, linebackers, safeties, guards, and running backs can be found throughout the draft. Schultz is a do it all kind of player but he isn’t Kelce or Gronk in his prime.

Schultz is a very nice player, but you don’t pay outrageous sums of money to a good player. You try to sign them to a reasonable deal or draft their replacement.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's around the amount I was thinking.

$5m is more in line with a reasonability. Someone else will probably be willing to pay him more than that. That can’t be the standard though.

We probably should have let someone else pay Tank $20m plus per year too. What someone might be willing to pay a player does not mean that he is worth that cap hit.

TWOK11

Reaction score
He's a really good system player, but I don't think he has a receiving skill set that travels. He's not athletic enough to consistently win one on one matchups with coverage LBs and safeties when the defense is actually determined to stop him. As the 4th receiving option on a team that also runs the ball really well and he ends up wide open a lot, sure he's reliable. He is always where he should be and is a good blocker. But he's not a feature skill player in an NFL offense like Kelce, Kittles, etc.