How on Earth is Garrett NOT Coach of the Year?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LOL.. what changes is that? They draft BPA and always have. They fill need via free agency, per Garrett's own words. He said this specifically prior to Dallas drafting Claiborne, and paying Carr millions. They even had Floyd on the board the following year and Jerry Jones over-ruled them last minute. And this was confirmed by Stephen Jones essentially.

Jerry will over rule, did that with Parcells as well when he wanted Spears with the 1st pick and instead it was Ware who Dallas took.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have to admit I have never heard the term demoted when it comes to HC. I think even Jason has come to the conclusion that it is better for him and the team to be the HC of the entire team instead of HC\OC. No doubt Jerry wanted Callahan calling plays in 2013 and that lasted until about mid way when Garrett took that over because he was not happy with the job Callahan was doing in terms of play calling. 2014 sees Dallas and Jason bring in a OC whom Jason knows and trust to run the offense. In my view that pretty much puts to rest the notion that Garrett is some puppet for Jerry or some yes man.
Exactly, Head Coaches are fired not demoted. You re-sign to a higher contract a "demoted" employee? Delusions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL.. When Garrett is allegedly hired for his brilliant offensive mind and Jerry gives him free reign during Wade's year for specifically this, I would argue it is so. I mean that's the reason he was essentially hired in the first place. Now suddenly, it means nothing that he failed in it and we wasted Romo's best years because Garrett sucked at play-calling.
Yeah, you clearly know more about Garrett's brilliant Offensive mind than Nick Saban, Ozzie Newsome, Ernie Zampese, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jason Witten, and Tony Romo. All proponents of his offensive brilliance.

And what changes is that that Jason brought? They draft BPA and always have. They fill need via free agency, per Garrett's own words. He said this specifically prior to Dallas drafting Claiborne, and paying Carr millions. They even had Floyd on the board the following year and Jerry Jones over-ruled them last minute. And this was confirmed by Stephen Jones essentially.
Not keeping highly overpaid aged veterans on the decline. It honestly wasn't that hard. Tell me again all of the Offensive Lineman we drafted in the first round prior to his first Draft. That would greatly interest me. <-extreme sarcasm

We all know Jason is here in the first place because of father Garrett, whose been in personnel himself since at least 1997 or a major influencing factor. The same son who essentially followed his father around wherever he went. There is no change in philosophy because of Jason specifically, like one is trying to spin. Even the change to 4-3 was Lacewell, per his own words. And him bringing Kiffen here was his influence and Marinelli coming hear was because of Kiffen.
Jim Garrett was employed by the Dallas Cowboys under Tom Landry, Tex Schramm, and Gil Brandt, which is way before 1997. I guess you must think Landry was an idiot to want him, Tex an idiot for hiring him, and Brandt an idiot for thinkign he was one of the bes tin the business.

And because you say so, we should believe Arizona wouldn't have beaten Seattle with Palmer or wouldn't have made noise in the play-offs? OK...
Hey, if you have that much faith in Carson Palmer...OK...

It's like Jerry said. Jason has that specific quality of dealing with ambiguity.
You seem to like this comment. I personally don't know what the hell it is supposed to mean. I know Jason Garrett has a quality of dealing with people. Ask Dez Bryant.

And I still wouldn't have cared if he was given Coach of the Year. We all know the reason why this team went from 8-8 to 12-4 in the end...
Yes, we do know why. Because a hell of a great coach with a specific vision got an entire team to buy in, they stayed healthy, and came together. Clearly it was an accident.

I swear somewhere there is a village frantically searching for their missing.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly, Head Coaches are fired not demoted. You re-sign to a higher contract a "demoted" employee? Delusions.

That is the kicker in all of this, Garrett has done nothing and provides nothing to the team so Jerry gives him a 5 year deal and a raise? LOL Agenda run deep around here.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah, you clearly know more about Garrett's brilliant Offensive mind than Nick Saban, Ozzie Newsome, Ernie Zampese, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jason Witten, and Tony Romo. All proponents of his offensive brilliance.

Oh really... I heard they praised him for intelligence, but considering he never had a track record of coaching, I have a hard time believing your 'summary' of them praising his ability to come up with game-plans. It's almost like when you quoted Mike Fisher and Steve Dennis as proof of Garrett drawing up game-plans... More out of quote contexts, to justify a position that is totally contradicted by Jerry's explicit words. Keep trying.. So once again, exactly what does this have to with Jason Garrett being hired for his offensive mind, only to FAIL AT IT, wasting Romo's best years and then being demoted as play-caller? Imagine if Jerry just listened to Wade to get Dan Reeves to baby-sit Garrett. Instead we had to waste another 4 years or so until Jerry finally saw the light and surrounded Garrett with people who knew what they were doing and lo and behold, MVP season for Romo and 12-4.

Jim Garrett was employed by the Dallas Cowboys under Tom Landry, Tex Schramm, and Gil Brandt, which is way before 1997. I guess you must think Landry was an idiot to want him, Tex an idiot for hiring him, and Brandt an idiot for thinkign he was one of the bes tin the business.

And being 'employed' has anything to do with my point about Father Garrett being in a specific role with Jerry in personnel and Jason Garrett being there. Unless of course you think the Cowboys were scoping arena league QBs to back-up Troy Aikman, while pulling guys like Kosar to back him up just in case Aikman got injured and found Jason Garrett. Larry Lacewell also coached prior and had multiple stops within various organizations.

You tend to bring forth irrelevant points in all your arguments.

Hey, if you have that much faith in Carson Palmer...OK...

Well, he is better than Weeden and Lindley and they were what, 7-0 or 6-1, before he went down...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh really... I heard they praised him for intelligence, but considering he never had a track record of coaching, I have a hard time believing your 'summary' of them praising his ability to come up with game-plans. It's almost like when you quoted Mike Fisher and Steve Dennis as proof of Garrett drawing up game-plans... More out of quote contexts, to justify a position that is totally contradicted by Jerry's explicit words. Keep trying.. So once again, exactly what does this have to with Jason Garrett being hired for his offensive mind, only to FAIL AT IT, wasting Romo's best years and then being demoted as play-caller? Imagine if Jerry just listened to Wade to get Dan Reeves to baby-sit Garrett. Instead we had to waste another 4 years or so until Jerry finally saw the light and surrounded Garrett with people who knew what they were doing and lo and behold, MVP season for Romo and 12-4.
Who's trying? This is so ridiculously silly that I'm making no effort whatsoever. I mean it borders on illiterate it is so bad.

Let me help you. Jason Garrett calls the shots, the assistants coach the details of their positions. If you don't believe that, ask anyone you want. He hired all of them. Every single coach on the staff is here because he wants them here and sought them out. Those coaches are good football men wouldn't want to work for an idiot who doesn't know anything about football. If they did they would be idiots too. Idiots could not take any football team to a 12-4 record and a playoff win.

Do you even see how nothing you are arguing has the slightest chance of being true? If not, you need glasses or more school.

And being 'employed' has anything to do with my point about Father Garrett being in a specific role with Jerry in personnel and Jason Garrett being there. Unless of course you think the Cowboys were scoping arena league QBs to back-up Troy Aikman, while pulling guys like Kosar to back him up just in case Aikman got injured and found Jason Garrett. Larry Lacewell also coached prior and had multiple stops within various organizations.
I'm sure you think something in that rambling mess was relevant, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. Jim Garrett is a good football man. He's in his 80's now and still knows more than you and me put together. You can think differently but you'd be dead wrong. He was here long before Jerry Jones bought the team and he raised a family around football. not sure why that is not great to some Cowboys fans, but petty jealousy never has made sense to me.

If the Cowboys had been "scoping around the Arena League QBs" they might have found a Hall of Famer named Kurt Warner.

Out of morbid curiosity are even aware of Jim Garrett's scouting report on his own son when Jimmy Johnson came to him to ask for it? Probably not. I am.

You tend to bring forth irrelevant points in all your arguments.
Yeah, I can see where someone like you would see facts as irrelevant.

khiladi

Reaction score
Who's trying? This is so ridiculously silly that I'm making no effort whatsoever. I mean it borders on illiterate it is so bad.

Let me help you. Jason Garrett calls the shots, the assistants coach the details of their positions. If you don't believe that, ask anyone you want. He hired all of them. Every single coach on the staff is here because he wants them here and sought them out. Those coaches are good football men wouldn't want to work for an idiot who doesn't know anything about football. If they did they would be idiots too. Idiots could not take any football team to a 12-4 record and a playoff win.

Do you even see how nothing you are arguing has the slightest chance of being true? If not, you need glasses or more school.

I'm sure you think something in that rambling mess was relevant, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. Jim Garrett is a good football man. He's in his 80's now and still knows more than you and me put together. You can think differently but you'd be dead wrong. He was here long before Jerry Jones bought the team and he raised a family around football. not sure why that is not great to some Cowboys fans, but petty jealousy never has made sense to me.

If the Cowboys had been "scoping around the Arena League QBs" they might have found a Hall of Famer named Kurt Warner.

Out of morbid curiosity are even aware of Jim Garrett's scouting report on his own son when Jimmy Johnson came to him to ask for it? Probably not. I am.

Yeah, I can see where someone like you would see facts as irrelevant.

So basically, your essentially admitting the only reason Dallas got Jason Garrett was because of his father, because they weren't scoping out the Arena league for QBs, otherwise they would have gotten Kurt Warner! Is that what your trying to say or are you just throwing out some random fact that Kurt Warner came from the Arena league to bring up more irrelevant tangents to the issue that Jerry demoted Garrett from play-calling?

You know what the scouting report of Columbia said about Jim Garrett? He sucked at coaching and they fired him. 0-10 and his tenure filled with all sorts of accusations. Jason sure learned how to coach from the best!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So basically, your essentially admitting the only reason Dallas got Jason Garrett was because of his father, because they weren't scoping out the Arena league for QBs, otherwise they would have gotten Kurt Warner! Is that what your trying to say or are you just throwing out some random fact that Kurt Warner came from the Arena league to bring up more irrelevant tangents to the issue that Jerry demoted Garrett from play-calling?

You know what the scouting report of Columbia said about Jim Garrett? He sucked at coaching and they fired him. 0-10 and his tenure filled with all sorts of accusations. Jason sure learned how to coach from the best!
I don't care how we got him, just that we did. Sux 2 B U though huh?

Glad Jim Garrett's tenure at Columbia didn't go well either. He was a damned fine scout for this team.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't care how we got him, just that we did. Sux 2 B U though huh?

Glad Jim Garrett's tenure at Columbia didn't go well either. He was a damned fine scout for this team.

So basically you wasted all this time arguing to throw out irrelevant tangents, despite supposedly having emphatic proof from everywhere, only to end it with Sux 2 B U...

Doomsday101

Reaction score

and Linehan and Marinelli sucked at being HC both had chances at being HC they were fired. As for Jason being a QB in Dallas, he was there because Jimmy wanted him there. Johnson was not keeping players around for the hell of it or because who your dad was. As for his ability as a backup QB he was 6-3 when he started and a QB rating of 83.2. Garrett lacks much in terms of physical ability but he did not do stupid things that get you beat and what is why he was able to hang around in the NFL as long as he did

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So basically you wasted all this time arguing to throw out irrelevant tangents, despite supposedly having emphatic proof from everywhere, only to end it with Sux 2 B U...
Oh hell no. I had one hell of a good time laughing.

khiladi

Reaction score
Oh hell no. I had one hell of a good time laughing.

I'm sure you did... That Kurt Warner reference was pretty epic in providing laughs. Just admit it, Jerry demoted Jason as play-caller because he sucked at it, which is pretty much indisputable evidence that we wasted years with him controlling this offense wasting the best years of Romo and we could have simply started training him earlier with more experience coaches like say, Dan Reeves.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'm sure you did... That Kurt Warner reference was pretty epic in providing laughs. Just admit it, Jerry demoted Jason as play-caller because he sucked at it, which is pretty much indisputable evidence that we wasted years with him controlling this offense wasting the best years of Romo and we could have simply started training him earlier with more experience coaches like say, Dan Reeves.
The only thing you've been right on in this entire thread was that Palmer is better than Weeden and Lindley. In every post you showed a complete lack of knowledge of anything beyond your unrealized confirmation bias.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
What cracks me up the absolute most of anything in this long thread is how Steve Dennis was used for a quote to defend someone's stance whose made it absolutely clear many times over that Steve Dennis is an idiot who should not be listened to ever.

Except if he says something that they like.

LMBO!!! Wow.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
What cracks me up the absolute most of anything in this long thread is how Steve Dennis was used for a quote to defend someone's stance whose made it absolutely clear many times over that Steve Dennis is an idiot who should not be listened to ever.

Except if he says something that they like.

LMBO!!! Wow.
Uh, I'm not saying he is knowledgeable about football. I'm saying he knows whether or not Garrett is involved in coaching the football team or if he just claps and spits on game days. In other words, I think he's clearly smarter than the idea put forth. I still do think he's an idiot about football. What does the math automatically tell you from that?

Oh, and here's how a silly agenda goes up in smoke.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ffensive-staff-play-calling-responsibilities/

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Uh, I'm not saying he is knowledgeable about football. I'm saying he knows whether or not Garrett is involved in coaching the football team or if he just claps and spits on game days. In other words, I think he's clearly smarter than the idea put forth. I still do think he's an idiot about football. What does the math automatically tell you from that?

Oh, and here's how a silly agenda goes up in smoke.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ffensive-staff-play-calling-responsibilities/

Personally I couldn't care less what Steve Dennis says or claims he knows. He's an idiot.

That isn't exclusive to just his lack of on field knowledge. I lend him no credibility period.

And out of my own curiosity why would anyone care what happened to McCarthy in regards to Garrett? McCarthy, as I recall, has actually led his team to a Superbowl. People are not going to really care about this in reference to defending, or attacking, Garrett because the two coaches are not on equal footing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally I couldn't care less what Steve Dennis says or claims he knows. He's an idiot.

That isn't exclusive to just his lack of on field knowledge. I lend him no credibility period.

And out of my own curiosity why would anyone care what happened to McCarthy in regards to Garrett? McCarthy, as I recall, has actually led his team to a Superbowl. People are not going to really care about this in reference to defending, or attacking, Garrett because the two coaches are not on equal footing.

and why would anyone take credit away from the job Garrett has done?