How Stephen's delaying tactic CeeDee contract cost Cowboys

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This time last year, Tyree Hill was the highest-paid WR at $30M in August 2023. Around the same time, Stephen Jones could have made CeeDee the highest at $31M and saved $4-5M from what he is now asking ($35M ). This is a classic example of how Stephen's delaying tactic cost the Cowboys more money.

That's talking with the benefit of hindsight though. If the Cowboys had offered Lamb more money than Tyreek a year ago the fans would have been screaming about how ridiculous it was. Of course now we know the monster season Lamb had, but suppose the Cowboys made Lamb the highest paid WR a year ago and things hadn't gone as well. Suppose he hadn't taken as big a step into the elite as he did, or even if he dropped off some. Or got hurt. Then we would be sitting here today discussing how the Cowboys screwed themselves with another stupid deal.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh I made it.
Like I said, I just consider the source, and laugh. Some of those players you mention were from long ago and did not cry about the amount of money today's player vetch about, they played real football.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys thought about that too...sign him and what if he gets hurt....also, sign in and we'll have to deal with other players wanting early deals....it's that what happened with zeke? Nit sure...
I guess it can be both ways
  • If you are the Cowboys .......sign them early and save money if the price goes up or hold off until you are forced to make deal. But the question is why wait????? Are you hoping an injury will lower the price or you wanna see more coz you are not sure the player is worth what he is asking?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it can be both ways
  • If you are the Cowboys .......sign them early and save money if the price goes up or hold off until you are forced to make deal. But the question is why wait????? Are you hoping an injury will lower the price or you wanna see more coz you are not sure the player is worth what he is asking?
Why wait? I'm not sure...,only thing I can think of is, Micah, Bland, Tyler Smith, etc may want early deals.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Like I said, I just consider the source, and laugh. Some of those players you mention were from long ago and did not cry about the amount of money today's player vetch about, they played real football.
Which ones? Maybe Martin but you have not demonstrated his position to be as you claim. I call BS.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Which ones? Maybe Martin but you have not demonstrated his position to be as you claim. I call BS.
Call it what you want Fuzzy. He mention Emmitt and Dorsett and others but this thread is about CD, keep up! Just because someone jumps off a bridge, should others do the same? That is your BS.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Call it what you want Fuzzy. He mention Emmitt and Dorsett and others but this thread is about CD, keep up! Just because someone jumps off a bridge, should other do the same?
Ceedee is a player. The argument is about players wanting money precluding winning. The other player argument is apt.

You are doing you usual obfuscation BS.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's talking with the benefit of hindsight though. If the Cowboys had offered Lamb more money than Tyreek a year ago the fans would have been screaming about how ridiculous it was. Of course now we know the monster season Lamb had, but suppose the Cowboys made Lamb the highest paid WR a year ago and things hadn't gone as well. Suppose he hadn't taken as big a step into the elite as he did, or even if he dropped off some. Or got hurt. Then we would be sitting here today discussing how the Cowboys screwed themselves with another stupid deal.
No question but IMO if you are the Cowboys, you have to trust what you see in the player. In other words, I don't think there was any doubt whether or CeeDee was a legit No.1 WR this time last season. If you know that and you KNOW he's part of your long-term plan, why not offer him a minimum top 3 deal? I suppose one could argue maybe they wanted to see WHERE he stacked as a top 5 ( bottom, middle or top or the best in the league)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why wait? I'm not sure...,only thing I can think of is, Micah, Bland, Tyler Smith, etc may want early deals.
I guess I'm trying to make sense of their thinking. It appears they intentionally wait until the last minute to get these mega deals completed and it seems to always cost them more money. I just don't see the logic unless there are some complex issues we are privileged to. So I guess that is possible ............