How Stephen's delaying tactic CeeDee contract cost Cowboys

JBS

Reaction score
Is this a problem that only the Cowboys encounter?

Like how does Howie Roseman get D Smith to sign early? Why wouldn't his agent also have him wait until all the big names sign, thus raising his floor?

The excuse making for the mistakes the Jones' make are awesome.
Absolutely is not a Dallas thing. Do you follow the nfl?

Jefferson
Aiyuk
Chase
Lamb

List goes on and on.

Sydla

Reaction score
Absolutely is not a Dallas thing. Do you follow the nfl?

Jefferson
Aiyuk
Chase
Lamb

List goes on and on.
The point being that teams find a way to get these things done. When a team is always seemingly signing guys late, costing them money, it's not a "NFL thing" it's a team thing.

The Cowboys are reactionary. The tend to swing wildly in the opposite direction if things don't work out. Remember talking about how they wouldn't put resources in the RB position after Murray was a FA? They struggle the next year and suddenly Jerry is using the 4th pick on a TB.

I think this applies to contracts. They signed guys early hoping to get them "cheap" relative to what they may cost down the road. Tyrone Crawford and Jaylon Smith are prime examples. They paid these guys largely after one good season making the assumption that both would continue on their trajectory and cost them big bucks down the road. They got burned so now they seemingly swung wildly the other way, where they wait and wait and wait and cost themselves millions because they waited. If we were talking about one isolated contract situation, sure. But this is not isolated anymore. This is how they do business.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So you don't think he would have signed an offer making the highest paid ( at the time ) at $31M a year ago? He would have rather risked avoiding injury to wait another year.
But if you were the owner, would you extend a first round pick after his third season knowing you control his rights for another two?

Wouldn't you also be worried about injury or other things that could occur during those two years?

Wouldn't there be upfront "cash" changing hands once the deal consummated regardless of when it counts against the cap?

I'm simply saying, I think there are considerations that the organization has to consider other than eventual cap hit.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Is this a problem that only the Cowboys encounter?

Like how does Howie Roseman get D Smith to sign early? Why wouldn't his agent also have him wait until all the big names sign, thus raising his floor?

The excuse making for the mistakes the Jones' make are awesome.
Smith is a small, number two wide receiver. He’s 50 pounds lighter than AJ Brown. And unlike Brown will likely sign another contract with Phillly. His agent did a good job for him, all things considered.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson made 13% of the cap 12 years ago. Jefferson made 13% of the cap just recently.

The AAV go up but the cap percentages do not. In Parcells words, 'You're being sucked.'

There are plenty of things to worry about with this team: DT, Dak in the playoffs, skill position talent, new defense etc. Any owner being ignorant of the cap and its implications is not one of them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But if you were the owner, would you extend a first round pick after his third season knowing you control his rights for another two?

Wouldn't you also be worried about injury or other things that could occur during those two years?
It depends .......if my rookie played at a high level ( perhaps top 5 at his position ) his first 3 years, I would strongly consider extending him immediately if my cap situation allows coz his numbers are only going up. Just seems to me if your player establishes elite status within the first years, the sooner you can get them signed the better, and no I would not worry about injury if there isn't a pattern or history. This is just my take ...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This time last year, Tyree Hill was the highest-paid WR at $30M in August 2023. Around the same time, Stephen Jones could have made CeeDee the highest at $31M and saved $4-5M from what he is now asking ($35M ). This is a classic example of how Stephen's delaying tactic cost the Cowboys more money.

You mean our FO's procrastination is going to cost us more with key players than if we would get on with it if needed? Wow! I'm shocked.

JBS

Reaction score
The point being that teams find a way to get these things done. When a team is always seemingly signing guys late, costing them money, it's not a "NFL thing" it's a team thing.

The Cowboys are reactionary. The tend to swing wildly in the opposite direction if things don't work out. Remember talking about how they wouldn't put resources in the RB position after Murray was a FA? They struggle the next year and suddenly Jerry is using the 4th pick on a TB.

I think this applies to contracts. They signed guys early hoping to get them "cheap" relative to what they may cost down the road. Tyrone Crawford and Jaylon Smith are prime examples. They paid these guys largely after one good season making the assumption that both would continue on their trajectory and cost them big bucks down the road. They got burned so now they seemingly swung wildly the other way, where they wait and wait and wait and cost themselves millions because they waited. If we were talking about one isolated contract situation, sure. But this is not isolated anymore. This is how they do business.
The 49ers have this problem every year

Now what ?

The bengals have had this problem with both of their star players

I can go on

I don’t defend the jones for anything. Not even for this. This is the nature of the beast. I’ve been arguing this side of the business for years. It never mad any damn sense for places to sign early. And now they’re not doing it anymore. Good on them.

75boyz

Reaction score
Unless these delayed and market setting contracts are a genuine part of Jerry's marketing master plan.

Bear with me.
If Jerry can pay the highest or top 3 type QB, WR and DE contracts to Dak, CeeDee and Micah...
Then surely those guys must be great and that team must be good and fun to watch too, right?
Jerry's salesmanship thinking may be that Joe average fan would more likely tune into a team boasting those 3 guys and their paychecks and commercial endorsements than not and that's his bottom line to maintaining relevance.

It's why I think all 3 are still gonna get paid top dollar by the Cowboys.

And that just may be Jerry's personal paycheck version of All In.

jmo

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The delaying tactics by the Joneses is probably part of the master plan to keep everyone talking about the team.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hill got 13% last year too. As long as Lamb does not get more than 13% I think it is fair.
Interesting but my question then would be, is cheaper/better to give the 13% after year 3 ( first they can extend ) or year 5? or it doesn't matter?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS: and in a few years after signing, he goes back and asks for more money, what point does it matter!!!!??