How to be a team leader (Mahomes) Dallas stars are not leaders

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In the past 13 years only one year did the salary cap get worse. And if i'm not mistaken that was the Covid year wasn't it?

2011: $120.375M
2012: $120.6M
2013: $123M
2014: $133M
2015: $143.28M
2016: $155.27M
2017: $167M
2018: $177.2M
2019: $188.2M
2020: $198.2M
2021: $182.5M*
2022: $208.2M
2023: $224.8M
2024: $255.4M
Right. Yet, once again, explain how certain key player position prices keep getting overpriced every year to the point they surpass the % the salary cap rises?

Jarntt

Reaction score
what mahomes is doing right now.

Read this and see why he is a good leader, and how KC is better at the whole off season thing.

He is under contract, but I think he would do this even if he wasnt.

Him signing the 10 year contract was team friendly.
Not only can they move money around when they need to, but it is already a bargain at 50 mil a year!
Dak wants 60 ! 10 more than mahomes! He should realize that is just plain stupid. (or some others should)
This team friendly contract is such a crock. Mahomes signed the largest contract in NFL history on a per year basis at the time and still today his $450M is almost $200M more than the next closest player

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This team friendly contract is such a crock. Mahomes signed the largest contract in NFL history on a per year basis at the time and still today his $450M is almost $200M more than the next closest player
And he just signed an extension.....

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's the problem. Every year their price keeps increasing at a rate higher than the team's salary cap. It's unsustainable and team destructive. At one point, you have to put your foot down as management and stop over-paying players.
Only unsustainable if you want to pay to have elite players. No one is forcing GM Jethro to pay CD and Micah $30M+ each. We already had both in their prime and got bounced in round 1. Paying them more is going to make us better???

$30M is 3 $10M players with most likely 2+
first round picks in a trade. That is 5 potential starters. Is 1 elite player better than 5 starters?

Again this is a deep WR draft, could find a replacement for CD and more.

Then do it again next year with Micah and get your franchise QB.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

2 year rebuild and plenty of cap space.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why would Dak take less money to "help the team" when he knows like we all do, that Jerry won't use that money on FAs anyway?
It would be in the contract that dak gets to spend 10 mil of the cap on FA he wants , if he takes 10mil less than market value/.
you shouldnt trust ANY GM to spend it or spend it wisely.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
just think how good Mahomes would be if he did that stupid dance crap before the games. lmao. :lmao:
here we go !! lol

But this thread isnt about comparing dak to mahomes as a player, it is about as a leader.

And it is about Dak wanting mahomes money and above. Owners who pay guys like watson wilson murray ,dak, more than mahomes are just stupid.
I was sort of a fan of cleveland till they signed watson, and I dropped them like a hot potato.

Aftershock

Reaction score
He is a team leader because his GM is not the owner, and his Head Coach is not the GM and owner.

Leadership starts at Head Coach and not owner or GM. See Landry, Johnson, Belichick, Parcells, and any other Super Bowl team.

You cannot lead on the football field from the box suite.
This is a terrible take. You can still be a leader QB despite your GM's shortcomings. Is it harder? Yes, but not impossible.
Dak is not a leader as we've seen from him getting beat up before the draft, out partying before, getting caught partying during COVID, inciting violence towards referees, and black balling the DC into giving him enormous undeserved contract.

You can also tell he only cares about fame and the limelight, the only times he shows up on gameday is at the carpet and out of the tunnel, he sure does look good and swaggy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't argue with that but Mahomes doesn't get on his teammates like that . Staubach didn't seem to do that either.
I'm not saying he has to be an incessant drill sarge. But I don't recall him having any...er...serious? "conversations"...with anyone on the sidelines. I'm almost positive I have seen myhomie do it.

Staubach didn't have to with Tom around. The Quiet Storm, that man.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The Dallas Stars have the second best record in hockey going into the playoffs. They're leading the Western Conference, thus they're leaders.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman said it himself, he did not have to lead the team because Jimmy Johnson was the leader in total control. Jimmy got in everybody's face. When Johnson was fired, Aikman was uncomfortable with the non leadership style of Switzer under Jerry Jones (Switzer was totally different at OU). This put Aikman in a position of leadership he did not have during the Super Bowl years of Johnson. He did not have support of his authority, accountability, responsibility. That is what a leader at HC gives his QB or any other leader on the team.

Dak cannot assert himself as a leader like Mahomes, because McCarthy cannot give Dak what he does not have himself..Authority, Accountability, and Responsibility. All of that belongs to the owner, GM, and defacto HC...Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Jerry gives his puppet HC one thing...accountability for losses.

Where have you guys been for the last 30 years. You saw him get rid of Landry, Johnson, and Parcells...What did these 3 men have in common? The where the leaders of the team. Then others could lead because they had authority, accountability, and responsibility. Therefore, they could delegate authority, accountability, and responsibility.

For football you cannot get leadership on the field of authority, accountability, and responsibility from the box suite. Why do you think Jerry Jones would go down to the field after Jimmy had the Cowboys winning...because that is where leadership with authority, accountability, and responsibility is located.
Sorry bro...but where have YOU been?

Aikman chewing dat AXE!: