How would you defeat the Cowboys if you were Jay Gruden?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're not as outmatched as you think there, Robert.

I hope the Cowboys don't take the field with such smarminess.

Prescott will but I'm talking about the other guys.
Well you’re right about their defense. It’s pretty salty. It’s why I think this game will be close and low scoring.

mmohican29

Reaction score
My tactic would be to be as methodical and possible. Run the football until the Cowboys prove they can stop it.

Then be sudden. RPO passes (slants, seams).

Frustrate the Cowboys into mistakes.

The Skins can't win in a shootout. Dallas has superior firepower.

Have to grind and play unconscious Defense, and hope the young Cowboys LB'ers are still finding their regular season stride.

Dallas, 31-16.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

How do you plan on defeating the Cowboys?
Blitz the bloke on passing plays all day long. And stack the line.
Dedicate a safety to help cover Cooper and Gallup.

stiletto

Reaction score
Run the ball until the Cowboys prove they can stop it, which they haven't in several games going back....

T-RO

Reaction score
you pick your poison.
die by Zeke on the ground....or Dak n COOOOOOOOOOP thru the air.

Defensively If I was Gruden I'd definitely choose to die by giving up ground yardage. I'd make Dallas play penalty-and-turnover-free for 12 play drives. And I'd hope to force Maher to make kicks.

T-RO

Reaction score
Offensively if I was Gruden I'd ride Peterson and play action long ball. Hope for home runs and PI.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

You have to get to Dak first an foremost, and if you cant get pressure than you going to have to shut down the screen game.
Moore is not Linehan, so now you have to deal with a counter measure, and if the Skins can bring pressure, than its the adjustments
that will be the difference.
This game will be interesting and telling as far as how this season will progress... I want to see Moore have to adjust.
Week 1 we dominated a vastly inferior team, I actually want to see the Skins push this Cowboys team to the point where I can actually see
how Moore reacts.
Defensively is a whole different subject at this point, but right now we can win games by just being dominant offensively.. defense will catch up.

catiii

Reaction score
I would find our weakest link and attack it. Guessing it's run defens. Gruden will give us a hard fought game.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I would game plan for Zeke. I have the feeling we're gonna go right back to the ground and pound. I'm sure Moore wants to keep people guessing as we can do both.

Flamma

Reaction score

Now that the Cowboys are seemingly stretching the field and using the middle, I'd play 2 deep press coverage on the WRs. Force Elliott to kill us. Yes, I said force Elliott to take us out of that defense. Blitz one LB whenever the opportunity arises. The Cowboys WRs are pretty good and Dak is throwing with confidence. You can't have them running around out there with impunity. It's a risky D because the Box will be lighter than it should be.

We're working with a very small sample size, 1 week. The Commanders will not do as I suggest and they will test Prescott. Like I said, small sample size but I have not seen Dak throw with that kind of confidence in any other game to date. He looked like a different QB. Even in tight windows. He's probably going to be tested again this week. I'm hoping he shoves the ball right down their throats.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I can think of 3 things I'd like to do. One would involve some ice cubes and a 9 iron.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Give 4 first rounders as a down payment and tell them to give you Kellen Moore.

rwalters31

Reaction score

Run up the middle, Run up the middle, .........., Run up the middle!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I would "jam" their wireless sideline to helmet transmissions with a surplus EA-6A ,A-6 intruder airframe based aircraft I'd employ overhead circling the stadium, cuz' without "the Hammer" calling in where& when to kill them?,,, it's closer to the 2018 team ,in where there's a chance to win ,,,er,,, with Zebra yellow ribbon awarded assistance.o_O

JayFord

Reaction score
Sit back in zone coverage and press the receivers off the line and force Dak to go back to holding the ball too long

I’ll make Elliott beat us because if I’m the skins I believe in my front 7 (they’re good)

On offense AP up the gut all day then kill it off play action to mclaurin when you bring a man in the box

Lutonio

Reaction score
Blitz Dak into making mistakes and mix up coverage to make hold the ball too long. On offense, use runs designed to bait the tendency of our LBs to over pursue.