How would you feel about Henry Ruggs at 17?

cowboyec

Reaction score
wouldn't hate it at all.
one of my favorite WRs in the draft...bama is becoming WRU.
having Ruggs,Gallup,Cobb and COOOOOOOP...
:omg::omg::omg::omg:.
:flagwave:TOUCHDOWN DALLAS:flagwave:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for sharing. Def higher than expected.

I still think the run defense is a big problem. I don’t think it’s fair to use YPA as a measuring stick because a lot more goes into that than just DL play. We have pretty good LBs, even without LVE that can help overcome poor DL play.

it’s mostly the DTs for me. In years past we’ve loved going after those “quick twitch” type dudes that are fairly good against the pass, but can’t anchor for crap against the run. They’ll give you a nice splash play here and there, but get killed against quality OLs that have playoff caliber OLs / running games.
Our lbs were terrible against the run all year

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'd rather we get Delpit @ 17. Dallas needs a safety like there's no tomorrow.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree but if I have Tyreek Hill and Taco Charlton talent sitting there i'm going to go with Tyreek Hill.

Well said, but there is no guarantee Ruggs will even be there at 17. If Kinlaw is gone I'm not crazy about the other DL at 17. And if either Lamb or Ruggs is there, I'd probably pick one of them over a DB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Picking a WR like Henry Ruggs III (6'0", 190 lbs) based solely on his speed (4.25 40 yd dash) is a luxury similar to having a veteran super fast WR like Tavon Austin, but those types of receivers are not used that much, hence Ruggs never caught for more than 746 yards in a collegiate season. Sure a WR with such speed can supposedly help spread defenses open for other WRs by consistently going deep, but how often will they get the ball in their hands? Why use a 1st round pick on such a WR that very likely is seldom is going to receive the ball?

If we're going to draft a super fast WR for such limited opportunities, why not wait until the 3rd or 4th round and pick someone like Baylor's WR Jalon Reagor (5'11", 195 lbs, 4.29 40 yd dash) instead? He could do the same things Ruggs III can but cost much less. More bang for the buck. Also, Reagor has shown he can catch for over 1,000 yards in a season.

With all due respect, you need to put Ruggs' production in context. This year, as in previous years, Ruggs shared catches with other, legitimate targets:

Jerry Jeudy - 1,163
Devonta Smith - 1,256
Jaylen Waddle - 560

Saban has really needed to focus on one receiver because he's had a bevy of them. And in blowouts, Ruggs and Jeudy usually came out of the game. I would sell Ruggs short.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
With all due respect, you need to put Ruggs' production in context. This year, as in previous years, Ruggs shared catches with other, legitimate targets:

Jerry Jeudy - 1,163
Devonta Smith - 1,256
Jaylen Waddle - 560

Saban has really needed to focus on one receiver because he's had a bevy of them. And in blowouts, Ruggs and Jeudy usually came out of the game. I would sell Ruggs short.
The Cowboys would have to use a 1st round pick to try to get Ruggs at WR. Better to use that 1st round pick on a big DT or a S. Use their 2nd round pick on WR/Slot/punt & kick returner Jalen Reagor (5'11", 195 lbs, 4.29 40 yd dash)...

More bang for the buck.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Cowboys would have to use a 1st round pick to try to get Ruggs at WR. Better to use that 1st round pick on a big DT or a S. Use their 2nd round pick on WR/Slot/punt & kick returner Jalen Reagor (5'11", 195 lbs, 4.29 40 yd dash)...

More bang for the buck.

I don't disagree with the DT selection. I don't think wide receiver is our problem. But Ruggs would be worthy of the pick at #17 if that were our major need. His receiving yards were a product of Bama's spread attack, not any deficiencies on his part. That, really, was my point.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

More bang for the buck.

P.S., If Reagor runs a 4.29 at the Combine, he's not getting out of the first round. He seems a bit sturdier than J. Ross.

Jake0

Reaction score
McCathey is supposedly bringing in a westcoast offense, that doesn't mesh with Ruggs skillset. Ruggs on back-shoulder passes I don't see as being a good match, not a great route runner... Am I missing something on him being a fit for this team?

Don't be bringin that Rod Marinelli crap back to our draft room please.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Ruggs is running 4.2 and if he is a special teams kick off returner and punt returner. Sign me up for 17th pick. He would improve Dak, Zeke, Gallup and company, but most importantly our special teams would improve.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chiefs offense and the success for the teams that have the most team speed just make me want players like Ruggs even more.

Improving team speed needs to be a priority.

Jake0

Reaction score
Lol what Marinelli crap?

The passing on great talent due to lack of scheme fit or drafting weaker players because they fit the scheme over more talented ones. Either way.

Also, I don't think a guy that runs a 4.2 anything is ever a bad scheme fit unless he just flat out has bricks for hands and also can't run anything other than a go route.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
The passing on great talent due to lack of scheme fit or drafting weaker players because they fit the scheme over more talented ones. Either way.

Also, I don't think a guy that runs a 4.2 anything is ever a bad scheme fit unless he just flat out has bricks for hands and also can't run anything other than a go route.

Great talent... I wouldn't say that and wasn't he among the leaders in drop passes per attempt last season?

If he ran a 4.4 he would be a late day 2 or 3 guy based on his production.

dallas72

Reaction score
The trade down would be ideal but how likely? Who knows.

But I can live with Reagor at 17 more than Matos or Delpit or Fulton. I want Kinlaw but am resigned to the fact I will be disappointed.
Kinlaw does have 2 bad knees though both arthritis..not a great sign....