How would you feel about Henry Ruggs at 17?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Ruggs but this WR class is 5 rounds deep. No reason to spend the first rounder on that position.

Agree - it’s loaded and the drop off from round 1 to 2/3 is way higher at other positions that are a bigger need.

Creeper

Reaction score
How many sub-4.3 guys are in this draft? I am going to be its less than 3 and probably less than 2. They are rare, very rare. KC demonstrated what speed does. If Ruggs runs under 4.3 at the combine then he is the guy to take, if he is still there at 17. I have a feeling if he runs a 4.29 or better he is going to run up a lot of draft boards. The Cowboys need a DT, but really they need guys who can change a game. It doesn't matter if its a guy who pushes the pocket consistently or a guy who can outrun the defense when the Cowboys are down 10 points late. Impact is impact and the Cowboys need impact players. At #17, there are two players who may be available who can make an impact. Kinlaw is one and I really think he doesn't make it to 17, and Ruggs is the other. I am assuming Kinlaw gets a good medical report and Ruggs runs under 4.3.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it is me but I find it hard to believe that all the top DT, DE, S and CBs will be gone by the time we draft at 17.
Furthermore this seems to be shaping up to be a good deep draft at WR so we can get a WR in the 2nd or later that could contribute for this team.

With that said, if they do not want to sign Cooper, that makes it a different scenario.

morasp

Reaction score
Why not do the tag on cooper that gets two first round picks think it's called non exclusive tag and garb a WR early?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Maybe it is me but I find it hard to believe that all the top DT, DE, S and CBs will be gone by the time we draft at 17.
Furthermore this seems to be shaping up to be a good deep draft at WR so we can get a WR in the 2nd or later that could contribute for this team.

With that said, if they do not want to sign Cooper, that makes it a different scenario.

Agree 100%.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
What do you see his overall potential as? Potentially a #1? Tyreek Hill type?

I think if all of the players we like are off the board then he is on my short list of players I would draft.

If we keep Cooper and we get back to running the ball like we used to then the matchups Ruggs would get with the speed he has would put a huge amount of pressure on defenses to defend.

I'm sure Jeudy and Lamb will be long gone by 17.

I question how much of an impact the DE's Espenesa Iowa and the Penn State guy will have at the next level.

I don't think Dallas would take Ruggs. I think they'll let Byron walk and take a corner over a lot of these other guys anyways.
:yourock:

SSoup

Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me.

McCarthy spent a pick at the top of the 2nd round on Jordy Nelson when they already had Jennings and Driver as established 1000-ish yard type starters, plus they'd just spent a 3rd rounder on James Jones the year previously and he had a very fine rookie year as their #3 with about 700 yards.

So it seems like McCarthy thinks you can never have too many dangerous receivers if that's the best player to fall to you.

SSoup

Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me.

McCarthy spent a pick at the top of the 2nd round on Jordy Nelson when they already had Jennings and Driver as established 1000-ish yard type starters, plus they'd just spent a 3rd rounder on James Jones the year previously and he had a very fine rookie year as their #3 with about 700 yards.

So it seems like McCarthy thinks you can never have too many dangerous receivers if that's the best player to fall to you.
Then again, he picked Nelson in the 2nd. And a few years later picked Cobb in the 2nd at a time when they already had 4 good WRs, looking ahead to Driver being gone soon. And Greg Jennings was a 3rd rounder he made earlier in his stint in Green Bay.

It's possible McCarthy thinks you don't need to spend a 1st rounder on a WR. Maybe he thinks the 2nd and 3rd round are the sweet spot to churn out perfectly good receivers.

SSoup

Reaction score
Then again, he picked Nelson in the 2nd. And a few years later picked Cobb in the 2nd at a time when they already had 4 good WRs, looking ahead to Driver being gone soon. And Greg Jennings was a 3rd rounder he made earlier in his stint in Green Bay.

It's possible McCarthy thinks you don't need to spend a 1st rounder on a WR. Maybe he thinks the 2nd and 3rd round are the sweet spot to churn out perfectly good receivers.
Oh, and Devante Adams was a 2nd rounder too.

SSoup

Reaction score
I’d also add WR is also arguably the strongest position in the draft. If you guys thought Gallup sliding to the 3rd was great, just wait til you see who will be available this year in the 3rd.

Part of a great draft is being able to take what the draft gives you in relation to strengths / weaknesses to maximize value.
Yeah, the more I looked at McCarthy's time in Green Bay, the more I see a trend of constantly picking WRs in the middle rounds. So this year's draft might be right in his wheelhouse for finding receivers he likes and knows how to use in the middle rounds.

Never picked one in the 1st. Routinely picked them in the 2nd and 3rd. Even in years where they were already 4-deep at the WR position. It was rare for them to have a draft where they didn't pick a WR in the first 5 rounds at least. Kinda interesting. Obsessive about collecting WR talent, it seems.

2006: a WR (Jennings) in the 2nd round and 2 more in the 4th round.
2007: a WR (Jones) in the 3rd and another one in the 5th
2008: a WR (Nelson) in the 2nd and another in the 7th
2009: no WR
2010: no WR
2011: WR in the 2nd (Cobb)
2012: no WR
2013: two WR in the 7th
2014: WR in the 2nd (Adams), another in the 5th, another in the 7th
2015: WR in the 3rd (Montgomery)
2016: WR in the 5th
2017: WR in the 5th and another in the 7th
2018: WR in the 4th, another in the 5th, another in the 7th

13 drafts as a head coach in Green Bay. Four 2nd round receivers, two 3rd rounders, three 4th rounders, five 5th rounders.

Only 3 years he didn't draft a WR at all.

About half the years, he picked one in the 2nd or 3rd.

And the 2nd and 3rd rounders were all VERY successful picks with the exception of Ty Montgomery, who switched positions quickly so we don't really know how that would've played out if they'd left him at WR.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don't think the DE's that will be on the board will be better then him unless it's Chaisson who has some serious upside.

Espenesa may be there but I don't see a bigtime pass rusher.. Same with Matos from Penn.. Plus I think Dallas will sign back Quinn anyways.

DT... Yeah If Brown or Kinlaw are even in trading up distance I think you go get them.. After that... I don't see anything worthy of the 17th pick.

Delpit or McKinney vs Ruggs? Tough decision.. I'd like to fix Safety in Free Agency.. There just isn't many great NFL safeties.

One of the corners like Fulton or Diggs vs Ruggs.. I think you have to consider getting cheap corner play for the next 5 years just to help our cap situation.

Ruggs speed with Amari, Gallup, and the threat of the run could really make Dallas incredibly difficult to stop. I also think teams are going to steal that Debo Samuel play from San Fran and we need to be one of those teams at the top of that list to use that play and Ruggs would be incredible at it.

Tough decision.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Tee Higgins?

He is a bigger guy but he is very smooth.. I'm starting to wonder if he's getting over looked like Michael Thomas did and I see some similarities.

cnuball21

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Tee Higgins?

He is a bigger guy but he is very smooth.. I'm starting to wonder if he's getting over looked like Michael Thomas did and I see some similarities.

Love the ball skills but worries about the lack of separation he creates. Anxious to see what kind of athlete he is.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Love the ball skills but worries about the lack of separation he creates. Anxious to see what kind of athlete he is.
Yea I'm not a big Higgins guy for this reason. DK Metcalf can sort of get away with that separation issue b/c he's so explosive, but I'm not sure Higgins can do the same.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Agree - it’s loaded and the drop off from round 1 to 2/3 is way higher at other positions that are a bigger need.
I think there's a huge dropoff after the 6-7 WRs who should go in the first two rounds.

7 CeeDee Lamb Oklahoma Jr WR 1 6-2 189
10 Jerry Jeudy Alabama Jr WR 2 6-1 192
17 Henry Ruggs III Alabama Jr WR 4 6-0 190
27 Jalen Reagor TCU Jr WR 5 5-11 195.

14 Tee Higgins Clemson Jr WR 3 6-4 215
28 Laviska Shenault Jr. Colorado Jr WR 6 6-2 220
48 Justin Jefferson LSU Jr WR 7 6-3 192
49 Brandon Aiyuk Arizona St. Sr WR 8 6-1 206

60 Bryan Edwards South Carolina Sr WR 9 6-3 215
66 Tyler Johnson Minnesota Sr WR 10 6-2 205
72 Michael Pittman Jr. USC Sr WR 11 6-4 220
76 KJ Hamler Penn St. Soph WR 12 5-9 176
78 Donovan Peoples-Jones Michigan Jr WR 13 6-2 208
81 Devin Duvernay Texas Sr WR 14 5-11 210
84 Denzel Mims Baylor Sr WR 15 6-3 215
95 Antonio Gandy-Golden Liberty Sr WR 16 6-4 220
105 Lynn Bowden Jr. Kentucky Jr WR 17 6-1 199
111 James Proche SMU Sr WR 18 6-0 193
115 Chase Claypool Notre Dame Sr WR 19 6-5 229
120 K.J. Hill Ohio St. Sr WR 20 6-0 195
121 Collin Johnson Texas Sr WR 21 6-6 220

This is just the CBS rankings, so the numbers don't matter a whole lot, but those first two groups are all first-round talents, and some of that third group could be as well. But there's a significant drop from the 2nd group to the third, and then another pretty significant drop after Aiyuk, I think. There's some good players in that group, but this WR class is special because of the talent at the top.

I think speed at WR is a huge need for the Cowboys, and that's also where you're going to get a premium talent at #17. I prefer Reagor to Ruggs, by a lot, personally, but either guy there is a big win, especially with the receivers that they already ahve.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think there's a huge dropoff after the 6-7 WRs who should go in the first two rounds.

7 CeeDee Lamb Oklahoma Jr WR 1 6-2 189
10 Jerry Jeudy Alabama Jr WR 2 6-1 192
17 Henry Ruggs III Alabama Jr WR 4 6-0 190
27 Jalen Reagor TCU Jr WR 5 5-11 195.

14 Tee Higgins Clemson Jr WR 3 6-4 215
28 Laviska Shenault Jr. Colorado Jr WR 6 6-2 220
48 Justin Jefferson LSU Jr WR 7 6-3 192
49 Brandon Aiyuk Arizona St. Sr WR 8 6-1 206

60 Bryan Edwards South Carolina Sr WR 9 6-3 215
66 Tyler Johnson Minnesota Sr WR 10 6-2 205
72 Michael Pittman Jr. USC Sr WR 11 6-4 220
76 KJ Hamler Penn St. Soph WR 12 5-9 176
78 Donovan Peoples-Jones Michigan Jr WR 13 6-2 208
81 Devin Duvernay Texas Sr WR 14 5-11 210
84 Denzel Mims Baylor Sr WR 15 6-3 215
95 Antonio Gandy-Golden Liberty Sr WR 16 6-4 220
105 Lynn Bowden Jr. Kentucky Jr WR 17 6-1 199
111 James Proche SMU Sr WR 18 6-0 193
115 Chase Claypool Notre Dame Sr WR 19 6-5 229
120 K.J. Hill Ohio St. Sr WR 20 6-0 195
121 Collin Johnson Texas Sr WR 21 6-6 220

This is just the CBS rankings, so the numbers don't matter a whole lot, but those first two groups are all first-round talents, and some of that third group could be as well. But there's a significant drop from the 2nd group to the third, and then another pretty significant drop after Aiyuk, I think. There's some good players in that group, but this WR class is special because of the talent at the top.

I think speed at WR is a huge need for the Cowboys, and that's also where you're going to get a premium talent at #17. I prefer Reagor to Ruggs, by a lot, personally, but either guy there is a big win, especially with the receivers that they already ahve.

After Jeudy/Lamb, I honestly think there’s about 10+ guys that can turn into quality #2s running through rounds 2/3.

It’s also nice because there is something for everyone - slot, speed, size etc...

Great year to grab a mid-round WR that can contribute IMO.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If we are looking to take a wr at 17 and Lamb and Jeudy are gone I hope we trade back and gain draft capital.

I would be happier with a WR in the last 6 picks of the draft with an extra pick or 2 than someone at 17.

Jake0

Reaction score
One thing's for certain, you definitely shouldn't be shopping in the bargain bin for speed receivers. It's way too technical of a position and speed receivers are usually smaller so technique is very important. Jon'Vea Johnson, Guyton, late career Tavon Austin etc aren't gonna cut it. Speed receivers are worth the high draft pick. Late round picks/UDFA have a higher success rate at other positions.

They do get overdrafted and the value just keeps going up. The Chiefs winning isn't gonna help that. Mecole Hardman was drafted way higher than expected, McLaurin, Will Fuller etc. Just go ahead and mark these type of players to go earlier than expected on draft day. Honestly likely don't have a chance at Ruggs if he's already at 17 now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
One thing's for certain, you definitely shouldn't be shopping in the bargain bin for speed receivers. It's way too technical of a position and speed receivers are usually smaller so technique is very important. Jon'Vea Johnson, Guyton, late career Tavon Austin etc aren't gonna cut it. Speed receivers are worth the high draft pick. Late round picks/UDFA have a higher success rate at other positions.

They do get overdrafted and the value just keeps going up. The Chiefs winning isn't gonna help that. Mecole Hardman was drafted way higher than expected, McLaurin, Will Fuller etc. Just go ahead and mark these type of players to go earlier than expected on draft day. Honestly likely don't have a chance at Ruggs if he's already at 17 now.

I just looked at the top 15 leaders in receiving yards this year...not a single one I’d consider a “speed guy.”

Those players are compliment players IMO and shouldn’t be drafted in the 1st round.

Guys like Ruggs and Reagor will probably go in the 1st which blows my mind.

Jake0

Reaction score
I just looked at the top 15 leaders in receiving yards this year...not a single one I’d consider a “speed guy.”

Those players are compliment players IMO and shouldn’t be drafted in the 1st round.

Guys like Ruggs and Reagor will probably go in the 1st which blows my mind.

Well they do get hurt a lot which doesn't help. Tyreek and Fuller both were hurt this year and also Mahomes was hurt some bringing down Tyreek's numbers. Just look at how much better Deshaun Watson's numbers are when Fuller plays compared to when he's out over the past few seasons. I'd say Fuller is worth a late 1st for that no problem.

Julio Jones counts as a speed receiver because he's a 4.3 guy. Julio Jones is just a freak though, so yeah, the Megatrons and Julio's of the world are blue chip prospects that are worth top 5 picks.

Chark, McLaurin and DK Metcalf had great years and are on the rise. They may be in that top 15 soon enough.

It's complimentary. You need to pay up for the speed guy but he opens up the offense for everyone else. Emmitt & Irvin got all the numbers and accolades but Harper/Martin/Rocket Ismael or w/e were there to open things up for them. It's an important piece. You don't just line up 4 possession receivers, too obvious and easy to defend. It's about stretching the field. They are important enough to spend a decently high draft pick on. Should've taken Chark instead of Connor for that 2nd rounder but oh well.