Twitter: Hurns visiting

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only logic I get is hes better than Twill. That said I dont know what they will actually offer him. We do need to upgrade the wrs, but I get your point. Im not neccessarily excited about this, simply saying he is a better number 2 than Twill.

Based on what? 2015 season alone?

Now if we are talking logic, going after a legit wr1 and cutting Dez would have made sense. I really dont know thier angle here.

They weren't available for the most part. And the few that were got overpaid.

The one viable short term option I saw was Jordy Nelson. I'd have gladly given him $15 million over two years and I think he's the one that might have adequately replaced Dez.

I think Nelson would have been a good influence on Dak and a reliable target and route runner that a still developing quarterback really needs.

garyv

Reaction score
You keep saying this. Hurns has more touchdowns and 201 yards less than Williams. With Bortles throwing him the ball. And Hurns uses his hands. Personally I like Hurns more. The only drop off we would see would probably be blocking as I have never seen his blocking skills.

Depends what you define as better. Ill take points in a big game over 201 yards that go no where any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Williams 2016-2018- 1162 YDS and 4 TDs
Hurns 2016-2018- 961 and 5 TDS

I just read that's another reason Cowboys like Hurns above average Blocking. He fits their offense just like with the Jags. Hes a better blocker than TWill

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And would you consider that a smart decision or a poor one?

I'd consider it a poor one. A very poor one. A huge step backwards. And an almost built-in excuse for failure in 2018.

I don't consider it a good idea. We're not going to improve by replacing Dez with Hurns. We stand a good chance of improving by pairing Dez and Hurns, but it would surprise me if we'd do that.

I'd rather we just leave receiver alone in free agency and make it a draft priority.

Fix actual holes in free agency then try to upgrade perceived weaknesses in the draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep saying this. Hurns has more touchdowns and 201 yards less than Williams.

And? Where is it wrong? Or do you simply want to fixate on the touchdowns from this year and ignore everything else?

With Bortles throwing him the ball. And Hurns uses his hands. Personally I like Hurns more.

So it's strictly your opinion on the matter? OK, as long as I know where you're coming from.

The only drop off we would see would probably be blocking as I have never seen his blocking skills.

And availability. And productivity. And blocking ability. And higher cost...

Depends what you define as better. Ill take points in a big game over 201 yards that go no where any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Williams 2016-2018- 1162 YDS and 4 TDs
Hurns 2016-2018- 961 and 5 TDS

So that one touchdown is all you've got here? OK. I'll rest my case then. Thanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't consider it a good idea. We're not going to improve by replacing Dez with Hurns. We stand a good chance of improving by pairing Dez and Hurns, but it would surprise me if we'd do that.

I'd rather we just leave receiver alone in free agency and make it a draft priority.

Fix actual holes in free agency then try to upgrade perceived weaknesses in the draft.

Agreed 100%.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly thinking that way is why teams sink oh as we are currently doing. You have to pay to play.

Pay the right players. Not guys that are no better than the two you already have.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Career numbers for Hurns- 2,669 YDS 14.1 AVG 21 TDs
Career Numbers for Williams-3,359 YDS 14.6 AVG 20 TDs

Where does he outpace him? In yards? By .5 of a yard average? You need to stop saying he has outpaced him. He hasn't. And he is a year younger. They are almost identical players. Except Hurns uses his hands and is a better blocker from what I have read. @stasheroo

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This team needs a veteran possession receiver, whether Dez is gone this year, next year, or never.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Career numbers for Hurns- 2,669 YDS 14.1 AVG 21 TDs
Career Numbers for Williams-3,359 YDS 14.6 AVG 20 TDs

Where does he outpace him? In yards? By .5 of a yard average? You need to stop saying he has outpaced him. He hasn't. And he is a year younger. They are almost identical players. Except Hurns uses his hands and is a better blocker from what I have read. @stasheroo

Uh, everything other than that 1 touchdown. Did you read these before you posted them?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Show me where it isn't. All I see is one touchdown. Is that really all you have?
As an overall football player Hurns is better. Statistically they are almost the same. If you think yards are the way to judge a WR and the only way then we are at an impasse. I want points. Don't care who gets them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's not worth arguing over Hurns and Williams.

Hurns is better then Williams but it's not by a lot. He's good though.

Dak, like Bortles, isn't going to make any of his WR's better then what they are so this signing seems pointless to me.

I think Dak will be a productive QB but I think he's like Russell Wilson in the fact that he's just going to be a playmaker for the offense and not a guy that can get his guys the ball in tight windows.

John813

Reaction score
I just read that's another reason Cowboys like Hurns above average Blocking. He fits their offense just like with the Jags. Hes a better blocker than TWill

Hurns can play all 3 positions as well. Z, slot and X.

In the playoffs versus the Pats he catch 6 for 80 yards out of the slot.

Has had 2 good years and two bad years, in that order.

Maybe the money went to his head, or maybe it was Blakes mechanics going down the shitter in 16.
Just curious on how serious he was in coming here or was it just to kill time

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As an overall football player Hurns is better. Statistically they are almost the same. If you think yards are the way to judge a WR and the only way then we are at an impasse. I want points. Don't care who gets them.

Great "statistically they are the same". Your own words.

And one is under contract with their 2018 salary guaranteed at $4 million while the other guy "statistically the same" will cost you twice as much for the "same statistics", with a backlog at the position.

How is this a good move again?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Hurns would be a good WR to add to the mix. He's definitely not a #1. He's an okay #2. A great #3. Wouldn't want to give up too much to get him.

/endthread

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill take points over yards any day. That would give us 3 WRs capable of putting up points. Not 1.

Exactly 6 points over an entire career.

There's grasping at straws............. and then there's this.