Hurricane Rita *** Rita posts in this thread only!! ***

LILCOOK

Benched
Reaction score
The GFS and NOGAPS are to the right of this landfall envelope, showing the storm crossing
the coast right along the LA/TX state line. The models are also in agreement that the storm has peaked
in intensity, and will gradually weaken on it's way to the coast -- making landfall as a very strong
CAT 3 or low end CAT 4. Intensity forecasts are extremely unreliable in general -- as evidenced by
the extraordinary deepening of the storm yesterday. That said -- I believe we will see RITA regain
CAT 5 intensity tonight, and then begin a slow weakening during the final 24 hours before
landfall -- which will come as a CAT 4.

LILCOOK

Benched
Reaction score
Intensity forecasts are extremely unreliable in general -- as evidenced by
the extraordinary deepening of the storm yesterday. That said -- I believe we will see RITA regain
CAT 5 intensity tonight, and then begin a slow weakening during the final 24 hours before
landfall -- which will come as a CAT 4.

twa

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
riding it out in sour lake texas - about 30 miles north of the coast between Port Arthur and Galveston. taping windows and moving stuff into the garage today.

Riding it out in Pasadena ,along the houston ship channel

Boarded up and buttoned up

Looks like we are in for a "interesting" time

Looks like a ghost town around here

Good Luck to ya'll

MadCow

Reaction score
Payton34Smith22 said:
Corpus Christi, where I live, has issued a mandatory evacuation. Just finished up boarding up my in-laws house. I hope this is not as bad as it looks.

My mom is sick, so I'm staying with my parents. My wife and her family are going out of town. I hope it's not another Katrina.:(

May the Lord's blessed protection be upon you, your family and all in the path of Hurricane Rita. God speed. :pray2:

Cowchick

Reaction score
In my area of Dallas, when it storms, there is usually a power outage. I'm just hoping we have power on Sunday around game time.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Well, it looks like most of central Texas is in the clear now that the hurricane has changed course. Our town is filling up with evacs. The local HS football games are cancelled and the evacs are taking up in the stadium and coliseum. The nursing homes and hospital are now near full. We ran out of reg.-unleaded gas at 6:30 this morning and there are only a handful of places that have a few gallons of gas left. I got told by someone in transportation last night that there were bus loads of people on their way here and were running out of gas along the way. The network news and radio stations had everyone panic'd about gas prices and shortages and they tripped over each other trying to fill their cars last night. It was crazy. I've never seen anything like it. I feel for those in the path of Rita. Good luck to you all. If any of you are heading to the Brown county area and haven't left yet, PM me. I'll get you my number. You'll at least know someone in the area that way. I might not be able to help a lot, but I'll help all I can.

LILCOOK

Benched
Reaction score
I found some interesting stuff your not gonna find on no freakin local weather channel here in the dfw area and I might say it's quit amazing if this happens. This Hurricane is quite unordianry from others I've seen now some are saying the storm could go all the way up north to shreveport tx then check this "Turn Around" and go bk into the gulf of Mexico and re intesify and what if this is a big what if when it does that turns around again when it heads out half way in to the gulf and head bk here for a second time that would be freaking crazy. Heres where i gathered this info it's really got me kinda stressed if this were to happen.

Transportation, Safety and Commodity Forecast Services
Last Updated: 8:46 PM GMT on September 23, 2005
Last Comment Added: 9:06 PM GMT on September 23, 2005

** STORM STATUS / STORM SURGE INFO - SPECIAL UPDATE #9 **
Posted By: SteveGregory at 8:43 PM GMT on September 23, 2005
Updated: 8:46 PM GMT on September 23, 2005
SEP 23, 2005 - 2:30PM CDT

- HURRICANE RITA CONTINUES NORTHWEST -
LANDFALL STRONG CAT 3 MAJOR HURRICANE
NEAR PORT ARTHUR SATURDAY AM
"STORM AFTER THE STORM"

The latest RECON and Satellite imagery indicate that Rita has continued to weaken slightly, and is most likely an intense
CAT 3 Hurricane. The last RECON reported a MAX sustained wind of 124Kts, which implies 130mph surface winds.
The pressure continues to climb very slowly - and is now at 931mb. The eyewall has begun to become distorted, at
30NM diameter, and the cloud top temps to the west of the storm have warmed over the last 3 hours. All this while the
storm has been traveling across a deepwater, warm eddy. Environmental shear no doubt has contributed more to the
weakening of the eye the outflow, then the warm water has contributed to the strengthening of the storm. One more example of
how extremely difficult, if not impossible it is to forecast hurricane intensity - short or even long term - except in the
broadest sense. It certainly is humbling. Nonetheless -- there is no doubt Rita will hit the coast as a Major CAT 3 Hurricane, with
the full force of the storm starting in 12 hours, with landfall of the eyewall by 4AM, and the center of the storm crossing
the coast at 6AM.

The storm center is currently located by Radar fix from Lake Charles at 28.0N/92.4W - this is 165NM E-ESE of Galveston,
145NM SE of Sabine Pass near Port Arthur, and 138NM SSE of Cameron, LA. The storm continues to move NW
at 9Kts. A dead reckoning of the storm's forward motion would bring the northwest edge of the eyewall to the coast
near or just southwest of Port Arthur in 12 hours. Sustained winds of 120mph, with guts to near 150mph are likely
in a small area where the eyewall comes ashore

While the most intense winds have eased off -- the size of the storm is extraordinary. Gale force winds extend well
over 210 miles from the center, with gale force wind gusts now reported in New Orleans. Winds gusts to 55mph are
occurring across most of the coastal locations across LA.

The models are in complete agreement on the track of the storm for next 18 hours. By 24-36 hours, the models begin to
go 'haywire'- as the steering currents become extremely weak. The storm will likely track up to near Shreveport by Saturday
night before going quasi-stationary. From Sunday on through Tues -- no one has a clue where the storm center - which will have
weakened considerably, will be going. The only thing being publicly mentioned is the storm will slow down and bring 2 days
of torrential rainfall to the region. The GFS continues to show the core circulation turning around and heading back to the
coast late Monday and hints at re-intensification. This is highly speculative of course, but you will not hear any of this
discussed on TV until Sunday at the soonest, assuming it is still being forecast at all. But if you took the landfall out of the
equation -- you would have a lot of attention being paid to this. Normally, once storms recurve to the north -- that means they
have begun to go around the sub-tropical high, and are almost always picked up by the westerlies - and taken out of the area.
But, just as was the case with Ophelia, even though the storm began moving northeast away from the Florida coast, it ended up
going stationary off the Carolinas for 3 days as the ridge built back in and blocked it's movement. It had to 'wait' for the next
short wave TROF in the westerlies, to finally pick it up and carry out to sea. The below series of GFS model forecasts will
show you it's track solution for the next 5 days. This is not meant to be a 'forecast'' per se -- but it is provided in my discussions
because that's what I do -- and not what the Weather Channel or spokesman for the NHC do. They can't -- I can.

The next update will be early tonight - unless there is a major change in the storm intensity or motion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, good luck folks. For those displaced, better that then your lives. For those still in Rita's path, please be careful. I will say a prayer for you.

Justis

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Still no word from our Houston area posters such as WG and Ad?
Most of Houston has evacuated, the highway to Dallas is like a 1,000,000 car parking lot.

LILCOOK

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah looks like the DFW Area is in the clear and it's gonna be most of east tx to worry about and LA. The DFW area doged a big bullet when this sucker moved alot eastern than according to it going right over the DFW areaTHNK god for that one and everyone stay safe down the coast and northern eastern tx and LA.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
So far so good - storm getting downgraded as it gets closer

Duane

Reaction score
Note from North Houston:

I lost power for several hours and there are a lot of trees down. Other than that I'm in good shape. I'm hoping this is the worst of it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Duane said:
Note from North Houston:

I lost power for several hours and there are a lot of trees down. Other than that I'm in good shape. I'm hoping this is the worst of it.

Glad to hear you are safe Duane...take care

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Duane said:
Note from North Houston:

Glad you are ok

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I know it was like the 1970s down here yesterday and the day before yesterday in some parts of the metroplex. Waiting like an hour to get gas and some gas station just flat out didnt have any.

- Mike G.

Jimmie

Reaction score
friday morning, I had to go to 5 different stations before I could actually get gas..... and the prices went from 2.53 wednesday to 305 yesterday. absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for IMO. charge us an extra .50 cents cause u think it might damage some refineries? :bang2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Good to be back with you folks, hope everyone who was involved in the storm are getting back to normal now

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Glad to see you back Dooms....certainly thankful you and your are ok.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Glad to see you back Dooms....certainly thankful you and your are ok.

Thank you very much. Currently staying at my folks house as my lights are still out at this point. Lucky for me I have family to turn to and to top it off I get to see our Cowboys play today!!!!!!