Hypothetically Dak has a great season

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Is that what I said lol? This if the NFL….guys don’t get what they suppose to based on what thry “deserve”.
That is not true. Some players are more shrewd and lucky (Cousins, Dak) than others...their decisions and free agency moves matter and impact what they get. It's also about what a team needs at the time. Being available in a year that favors the team resigning you doesn't mean that in a year that team and their fan base will see it as "deserve"...

You're basically saying outcomes should determine the assessment. He got the money so it was right...is just lazy IMO. Some folks get things they deserve and other folks get less...

Dak outperformed his rookie contract and I would say he has lived up to his 2nd contract, but not NOW that he'll be 20% of the cap. When he was 15%...maybe. But now that he's making more money...and not producing meaningful wins late in the year...he doesn't DESERVE a new contract if your standard is WINNING THE SUPERBOWL or EVEN A PLAYOFF GAME. If you are impressed by "top 10"...then sure...Dak "deserves" his money.

shabazz

Reaction score
No, I'm saying if you pay your QB like he's a force multiplier...he better actually be a force multiplier. But if he's a guy who "needs a running game" or "needs to be put on a pitch count"...then pay that player ACCORDINGLY.
Unfortunately when it comes to qb salary's the "market" dictates it and many times it's not based on true value and performance.

Sometimes in order to deal with a QB that is overvalued you have to let them walk.....the Broncos just did it and the Browns would love to if they could.

Jerry is dealing with the same situation and at this time, isn't doubling down on him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, I'm saying if you pay your QB like he's a force multiplier...he better actually be a force multiplier. But if he's a guy who "needs a running game" or "needs to be put on a pitch count"...then pay that player ACCORDINGLY.
The game is won in the trenches. I don’t care how good you are. If Jerry is waiting for a qb to come in and he can continue to ignore the trenches? He will be waiting a lifetime. I know it like like Chiefs ignore it but watch who they pay and watch who they don’t,…

shabazz

Reaction score
I mean what is the objective? To find anyone or just someone better than Dak and Romo? I don’t advocate taking a tight end in the 2nd round that’s silly as well.
The objective should always be to draft and groom replacements in every position. Perhaps every 5 to 6 years draft a qb in the top 3 rounds that has the right qualities......but we haven't drafted a qb above the 4th round since 2001.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I don't know that Dak got greedy. Jerry pushed too much of his pay forward, which leads us to where we are today.

I also don't believe we can't make the playoffs with a lesser QB. Rush was 4-1 when Dak got hurt. We probably would have made the playoffs with him. Not win 12 games, but playoffs none the less. That's all that matters now anyway, right?
That 4-1 had very little to do with Rush and everything to do with the defense. Rush had a few moments but was average AT BEST. We would have gone 8-9 that season at best if Dak had been out the entire year, just like we were terrible the year Dak broke his leg. Using that miracle streak Rush had to support the notion that any QB can come in and we'll be as good as with Dak is as disingenuous as acting like Dak is a top 3 QB by citing his regular season stats against crappy teams. If Dak leaves I think our best hope is that Lance can develop and improve.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite true but if we believe that the status quo with Jerry will never change, there's really no hope.

However, with these new moves and non-moves I finally see a shift in philosophy.....whether it's real remains to be seen.

Another thing to consider is that moving up to the top 5 pick is easier from the 10-12 position than it is from the 26th.

I would never say to deliberately tank but if a team is cap strapped because they don't want to resign some players AND they want to evaluate young players, a losing record may happen organically.
All possibilities are in play, even with Jones' oversight. I do believe any speculation should include a particular variable: Jones' assessment of Trey Lance.

My comment may be eventually read and subsequently Tranced but any post-Prescott/lesser quarterback scenario must include how much support Jones will place in Lance. Outsiders may judge Jones' trade action as simply a low-cost gamble. Jones has more faith in his own evaluation skills than outsiders think, regardless if those same skills are off-the mark.

Just saying. A top five overall pick is not an automatic guarantee for picking a highly regarded quarterback prospect in Jerryworld--conveniently located between his set of ears.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The objective should always be to draft and groom replacements in every position. Perhaps every 5 to 6 years draft a qb in the top 3 rounds that has the right qualities......but we haven't drafted a qb above the 4th round since 2001.
So Lance doesn’t fit this because we traded a 4th rounder for him? Because he was a first round talent and not long ago.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We choose to let him play it out this season on his current number. Are we really going to enter contract negotiations with him then? If we don't like his offer now, we're going to like it later??? Later it's going to be way more than it is now. I don't get the hold up, put this conversation out of its misery please. Come out and say "we've seen his agents numbers, it doesn't align with what we feel at the moment!" "If he gets us further in the playoffs/Superbowl, we will happily make him the highest paid QB ever!"
You keep saying " WE" !
It isnt we, it is them aka the jones boys.

Here is jerrys plan for dealing with Dak
jerry-notepad-3-crop.jpg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So Lance doesn’t fit this because we traded a 4th rounder for him? Because he was a first round talent and not long ago.
SF and I guess a few "experts" had him as a first round talent, but that doesnt mean he is or was that.
I read he didnt play but 1 year in college, and that is all the experience he has, with some preseason games?

He is more of a project, and should never have been drafted in round 1.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
SF and I guess a few "experts" had him as a first round talent, but that doesnt mean he is or was that.
I read he didnt play but 1 year in college, and that is all the experience he has, with some preseason games?

He is more of a project, and should never have been drafted in round 1.
Lance was widely regarded as a consensus first rounder.

shabazz

Reaction score
He was BELIEVED to be 1st round talent.

The point is that they at least TRIED to upgrade the qb position. Their is always risk involved but continously selecting 4th round qbs or worse are odds even Vegas wouldn't touch.

For God's sake, the Falcons took Penix at 8 after just signing Kirk "playoff king" Cousins.

They finally have figured out that the nfl is a quarterback driven league.

Flamma

Reaction score
I mean I don’t disagree I just don’t think anyone can elevate a Jerry Jones led organization….a real contender doesn’t need to be elevated IMO. I don’t think Mahoney’s elevates Chris Jones he’s just a dog and knows what he’s suppose to do.
But Mahomes wins with less. What great WRs did he have? Even Romo came up with some magic sometimes. Does Dak ever do that? But you're right, Jerry does not support his QBs. Never has. To win a championship with the Cowboys team building method, we're going to need a top of the line QB.

Over the years GB was similar to us. The only reason they got to a few championship games is because they had Aaron Rodgers. But they never went all out to support him either.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Ok. We would be getting no where with your idea. Best thing is for Dak and the highest paid players to take less and help the front office keep better players around them. Don't you agree?
Depends on how much less, what is your break even line?

Flamma

Reaction score
That 4-1 had very little to do with Rush and everything to do with the defense. Rush had a few moments but was average AT BEST. We would have gone 8-9 that season at best if Dak had been out the entire year, just like we were terrible the year Dak broke his leg. Using that miracle streak Rush had to support the notion that any QB can come in and we'll be as good as with Dak is as disingenuous as acting like Dak is a top 3 QB by citing his regular season stats against crappy teams. If Dak leaves I think our best hope is that Lance can develop and improve.
I don't know why you would say that. Nothing leads me to believe we would have gone 8-9 and lost to terrible teams. Remember, Rush didn't turn the ball over until he got to the Eagles. Any average QB can win against trash teams if they have a good team around them. Like I said, Baker Mayfield went 9-8 with the Bucs, what could he do on the Cowboys? Win 11?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was BELIEVED to be 1st round talent.

The point is that they at least TRIED to upgrade the qb position. Their is always risk involved but continously selecting 4th round qbs or worse are odds even Vegas wouldn't touch.

For God's sake, the Falcons took Penix at 8 after just signing Kirk "playoff king" Cousins.

They finally have figured out that the nfl is a quarterback driven league.
Falcons were idiots though. I just don’t know which move was dumber not waiting until the draft to take a qb or drafting Penix with Cousins….just terrible use of resources.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But Mahomes wins with less. What great WRs did he have? Even Romo came up with some magic sometimes. Does Dak ever do that? But you're right, Jerry does not support his QBs. Never has. To win a championship with the Cowboys team building method, we're going to need a top of the line QB.

Over the years GB was similar to us. The only reason they got to a few championship games is because they had Aaron Rodgers. But they never went all out to support him either.
Romo never came with magic when it mattered just like Dak. Mahomes is in a class of his own. I agree on Packers. Never built a proper team around him. The objective isn’t to get more with less. It’s to make your qb job as easy as possible…..

shabazz

Reaction score
Falcons were idiots though. I just don’t know which move was dumber not waiting until the draft to take a qb or drafting Penix with Cousins….just terrible use of resources.
Agree, especially when the defensive side of the ball needing help, however with a 36 year old qb coming off surgery, it may be a brilliant move if penix gets considerable playing time.....I still wouldn't have done it though

plasticman

Reaction score
From day #1, Dak had the advantage of more Pro Bowlers on offense than any other team over the past 8 seasons.

That's the "catch-22" if people are even using that term any more

Dak can play very well when the offense is in sync. If the running game is doing something and he is able to distribute the ball around, this offense becomes lethal. However if other aspects of the offense is really struggling, he doesn't have the ability to carry the team.

That means he needs his talented offensive teammates in order to play efficiently. However, the higher his salary, the less teammates they can keep.

The less teammates, the less productivity. I wish his agent respected Dak enough to bring that to his attention in a candid way.

It's not a choice between wealth and success. If he is willing to be patient he can have both. The more success he has in football, the more marketable he is after he leaves the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree, especially when the defensive side of the ball needing help, however with a 36 year old qb coming off surgery, it may be a brilliant move if penix gets considerable playing time.....I still wouldn't have done it though
Well let me say I like Penix. I feel it was dumb because he’s gonna ride the bench for 2 or 3 years and that’s 2 or 3 years wasted of his rookie deal. They’ve robbed themselves of building a team around a rookie deal.