I’m obviously in the minority and in a big way

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But I think the Cowboys are being underrated by not only the Zoners here, that’s to be expected as they’re miserable ignorant couch potatoes, but also by the national media talking heads. And I LOVE it!

Everyone is trashing them because of Tyron Smith’s injury. But Smith missed 6 games last year and was limited in a couple of others. Yet the Cowboys won 12 games.

Everyone is trashing them because they lost Amari Cooper. Yet Cooper only had 68 receptions for 865 yards and the Cowboys won 12 games.

Everyone is trashing them because Elliot who played with a torn PCL only had 1,002 yards and a 4.2 ypc average. No one is giving him, and the team, credit for being healthy.

No one is giving them credit for having a very deep TE depth.

Everyone is trashing them because Gallup is injured. Yet he may play in game 2 or 3.

No one is giving them credit for improving their defense and instead crapping on them for letting Gregory go. The defense has arguably the best defensive player in the NFL in Parsons. He’s a game changer. He’s in the elite status like Donald.

They got beat in the playoffs by the 49’ers because of their lack of run defense. But no one is acknowledging that Bohanna is better, that Gallimore is back from injury, that the DE’s have great depth, that the LB’ers are better and have more depth, that the CB’s are better and have more depth, that the Safeties are better and have more depth.

No one is giving them credit for having a dynamic punt and kickoff return man.

All the habitual Debbie Downers here and in the media are saying the Cowboys have no chance to reach the Super Bowl much less win the NFC East.

But I’m here to tell you, and there are some others who agree with me, that don’t sleep on this team. Every Super Bowl team needs the breaks to turn their way. All of them. If the Cowboys get those breaks, avoid the serious injuries to key players, this team can go all the way.

You band wagoners are not going to get any slack once you jump on. It’s now or never.

I always value your opinion, like just about everybody else's on this forum, with a few exceptions, who are either on my ignore list or the obvious haters (of which there are only a few. And you make some good, and correct, points. But I have my own opinion about the post, noting only the points I don't agree with, partially if not fully, to wit:

1. No, Cooper didn't do all that much. But what did they replace him with? Nobody near his level, and they also let Wilson leave, double whammy.

2. Deep TE depth? If you mean warm bodies, sure, there's plenty. But that includes 2 rookies, a 1-year guy and one on IR. Hardly quality depth.

3. Gallup MAY be back in game 2 or 3. But he might not, also might not be as good as before when he does. Won't count on him until he is back.

4. Yes, Parsons is great, and as you know I was glad Gregory left, 6 sacks a year isn't that hard to replace. But Donald has been All World how long? And just got a ring this past SB. One great defensive player doesn't mean multiple SBs roll in year after year. So glad Parsons is here, but like Witten, he may well waste his career, championship-wise, if he stays in Dallas.

5. Dynamic punt returner? Just what did he do yesterday? 4 kick returns, average 19.3 yards. 1 punt return, 3 yards. Whoopee. Like I said a few days ago, there just aren't that many opportunities for returns these days. Most kickoffs go out of the end zone, and with Dallas' poor offense, opponents can get the ball in great field position, witness the 4 fgs by the Bucs. Bet that will be the norm in a lot of games this year. So, no matter how great he is, Turpin just won't have many chances to do big returns.

DB depth? You were obviously much more impressed than I was in the preseason, Diggs, Lewis and Brown are pretty good, but guys like Bland and Wright have a long way to go to be quality depth.

I'm like you, haven't given up on Dallas this year. At the least, Rush will have 6-8 games probably to get some playing time with the starters, if he's going to develop into a very good qb, now is his chance. IF the o-line can stick together, maybe they will get better as well.

We'll see, but I'm not all that hopeful...

kskboys

Reaction score
I always value your opinion, like just about everybody else's on this forum, with a few exceptions, who are either on my ignore list or the obvious haters (of which there are only a few. And you make some good, and correct, points. But I have my own opinion about the post, noting only the points I don't agree with, partially if not fully, to wit:

1. No, Cooper didn't do all that much. But what did they replace him with? Nobody near his level, and they also let Wilson leave, double whammy.

2. Deep TE depth? If you mean warm bodies, sure, there's plenty. But that includes 2 rookies, a 1-year guy and one on IR. Hardly quality depth.

3. Gallup MAY be back in game 2 or 3. But he might not, also might not be as good as before when he does. Won't count on him until he is back.

4. Yes, Parsons is great, and as you know I was glad Gregory left, 6 sacks a year isn't that hard to replace. But Donald has been All World how long? And just got a ring this past SB. One great defensive player doesn't mean multiple SBs roll in year after year. So glad Parsons is here, but like Witten, he may well waste his career, championship-wise, if he stays in Dallas.

5. Dynamic punt returner? Just what did he do yesterday? 4 kick returns, average 19.3 yards. 1 punt return, 3 yards. Whoopee. Like I said a few days ago, there just aren't that many opportunities for returns these days. Most kickoffs go out of the end zone, and with Dallas' poor offense, opponents can get the ball in great field position, witness the 4 fgs by the Bucs. Bet that will be the norm in a lot of games this year. So, no matter how great he is, Turpin just won't have many chances to do big returns.

DB depth? You were obviously much more impressed than I was in the preseason, Diggs, Lewis and Brown are pretty good, but guys like Bland and Wright have a long way to go to be quality depth.

I'm like you, haven't given up on Dallas this year. At the least, Rush will have 6-8 games probably to get some playing time with the starters, if he's going to develop into a very good qb, now is his chance. IF the o-line can stick together, maybe they will get better as well.

We'll see, but I'm not all that hopeful...
This is Rush's 5th year, and he lacks arm strength in a big way. Development pretty much out of the question.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is Rush's 5th year, and he lacks arm strength in a big way. Development pretty much out of the question.

His combine performance was low in arm strength, compared to the top guys, yes. But there's a few more things to consider. (Just to clarify, we're only concerned with 6-8 games, or worst-case scenario this season, obviously he's not a candidate for a permanent starter).
One, with the line as it is, he's not going to have time to make a lot of long throws, he's got plenty of arm strength for the short to mid range plays, any NFL quarterback does, you get on NFL rosters if you don't have at least a modicum of arm strength.
Two, Dallas runs mostly a variation of the West Coast offense anyway, which uses lots of short throws. The most long throws (40 yards or longer) by any quarterback was Stafford with 18, barely 1 a game. So, it's not like not being able to "air it out" is a big part of the game these days.
Three, I was thinking more in the area of getting continuity with the receivers, he got more with them the last couple of years with Dak's injuries, but not much in actual games. And being able to game manage in the NFL, again he's not had a lot of time at that. His combine report did indicate he has the ability to process reads quickly, but that also needs game experience to fully develop.

Understand I'm not saying he'll make great strides in his personal development, but I do think (hope?) we will see some improvement...

kskboys

Reaction score
His combine performance was low in arm strength, compared to the top guys, yes. But there's a few more things to consider. (Just to clarify, we're only concerned with 6-8 games, or worst-case scenario this season, obviously he's not a candidate for a permanent starter).
One, with the line as it is, he's not going to have time to make a lot of long throws, he's got plenty of arm strength for the short to mid range plays, any NFL quarterback does, you get on NFL rosters if you don't have at least a modicum of arm strength.
Two, Dallas runs mostly a variation of the West Coast offense anyway, which uses lots of short throws. The most long throws (40 yards or longer) by any quarterback was Stafford with 18, barely 1 a game. So, it's not like not being able to "air it out" is a big part of the game these days.
Three, I was thinking more in the area of getting continuity with the receivers, he got more with them the last couple of years with Dak's injuries, but not much in actual games. And being able to game manage in the NFL, again he's not had a lot of time at that. His combine report did indicate he has the ability to process reads quickly, but that also needs game experience to fully develop.

Understand I'm not saying he'll make great strides in his personal development, but I do think (hope?) we will see some improvement...
But, he doesn't. To make those shorter throws, you gotta be able to zip it. He cannot.

Arm strength has nothing to do w/ throwing deep.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But, he doesn't. To make those shorter throws, you gotta be able to zip it. He cannot.

Arm strength has nothing to do w/ throwing deep.

ANY quarterback on an NFL roster has enough throwing ability to make most throws. There are no 98 lb weaklings in the NFL. If they can't make most throws they never make a roster. Quit being silly.

And arm stength in NFL terms is what I am talking about, not strength in general.