I ain't giving up on Trey Lance

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I watch the games. Videos are handpicked.

If he could read a defense at all, he'd still be in San Francisco.
Unless you’re watching the all-22, games show less than hand-picked videos.

Just saying such without providing counterpoints and evidence that reinforce your claim doesn’t mean anything.

Also, why would he still be in San Francisco if Shanahan chose Purdy over him (which could possibly be for your alleged reason, or other ones) and Lance was the one who requested a trade?

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless you’re watching the all-22, games show less than hand-picked videos.

Just saying such without providing counterpoints and evidence that reinforce your claim doesn’t mean anything.

Also, why would he still be in San Francisco if Shanahan chose Purdy over him (which could possibly be for your alleged reason, or other ones) and Lance was the one who requested a trade?
If he could read a D, he'd have brought much more than a 4th. His physical skillset is off the charts.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If he could read a D, he'd have brought much more than a 4th. His physical skillset is off the charts.
I’m not sure what people mean by “if he could read a D”. What does that mean? The video clearly shows he can read an D. Even Dak can read a D. Is there a quantitative measure for that? Yes, he’s made mistakes in throwing the ball and not seeing certain pre-snap reads (as pointed out by the analyzer on the video), but you’re talking about a guy who’s thrown barely 500 passes in games at the college and the NFL level. Nothing beats experience, and that’s why I said what I did in the post with the video.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not sure what people mean by “if he could read a D”. What does that mean? The video clearly shows he can read an D. Even Dak can read a D. Is there a quantitative measure for that? Yes, he’s made mistakes in throwing the ball and not seeing certain pre-snap reads (as pointed out by the analyzer on the video), but you’re talking about a guy who’s thrown barely 500 passes in games at the college and the NFL level. Nothing beats experience, and that’s why I said what I did in the post with the video.
Then it's a bad video. It's a known thing that Lance has had major problems reading the D. I think it's mostly postsnap.

He absolutely does not have enough experience, no doubt. Problem is, he won't get it here. Hades, we had a chance to give him some blowout snaps last year, and for some inexplicable really weird reason played Rush in trash time. Made zero sense.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Then it's a bad video. It's a known thing that Lance has had major problems reading the D. I think it's mostly postsnap.
So I ask you what that means and you just say:

“It’s a known thing”.

Sorry, but just because certain people keep repeating it in posts doesn’t make it such.

LysleE

Reaction score
I know this is a minority opinion on this site, but I actually think TL can be a QB in the NFL; he just needs some good coaching and some playing time. If I remember correctly he really didn’t come into the NFL with a lot of playing experience and then was injured when he was the starting OB in San Francisco; so I would expect him to have limitations ( reading defenses, throwing mechanics), which can be fixed, but you can see his athletic ability. Moreover, it’s not like Dak had any warts on him when he came into the league; he just had the benefit of playing in the SEC as a starter for several years and had talent around him playing for Dallas.
Hope the kid sticks with it and can become a legit starter, whether it’s with Dallas or another team.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I never really cared for him. If he panned out then great but if not, no worries. Let him finish his final year and then wish him good luck. Now I'm focused on Shedeur Sanders as the future...and I can see Jerry being obsessed with him too!

kskboys

Reaction score
So I ask you what that means and you just say:

“It’s a known thing”.

Sorry, but just because certain people keep repeating it in posts doesn’t make it such.
Agree on that. Many things have become gospel around here that are simply not true.

Firstly, start w/ his scouting report as a draftee: "His processing speed is still a work in progress and he must get faster going through progressions as a pro."

Looking at that carefully, what it says is that he cannot read a D quickly enough.

So, then one should ask oneself: Is this still the case? My answer is yes. I watched him carefull vs Vegas, and he is still having a ton of trouble w/ reads. Looks to me as if it's both pre and post snap.

Now, since he has not played enough to prove differently, I go w/ what I read from the scouts, and attempt to analyze to see if it's changed. IMO, it has not.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I’m still holding out hope that this guy is the future of Dallas. Sure, he didn’t play great in the preseason but that doesn’t mean much to me and he still feels like such an enigma. What I’d do is keep him as our backup and see if Dak can handle the pressure!! Keeping Lance on the sidelines doesn’t just make him better. It makes Dak be forced to play better. All I ask is don’t give up on Lance. Dak has gotten how much seasons and excuses? Don’t toss Lance away just yet!!
The dude is a scrub and Prescott knows that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure where people get the idea he struggles to read the field. He’s good at going through his progressions. His issues are he is sometimes hesitant or his accuracy is off. He’s made some mistakes on some pre-snap reads, but those things can be eliminated the more he plays. Will he get enough playing time here to do so? Who knows? But he’s here because he flashes serious potential, and it’s the same reason the 49ers drafted him.

He has serious skills. Watching him the other night up close, he really does have some serious zip and accuracy.
He has trouble seeing in crowds. If the clip proves anything it shows Trey needs to be in a .mobile offense, especially if you have a young poorly coached OL.
He has great running skills and that's a killer for the best defenses, and a life saver for a young OL.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He has serious skills. Watching him the other night up close, he really does have some serious zip and accuracy.
He has trouble seeing in crowds. If the clip proves anything it shows Trey needs to be in a .mobile offense, especially if you have a young poorly coached OL.
He has great running skills and that's a killer for the best defenses, and a life saver for a young OL.
He’s a legacy with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. His Dad played for them. It would be a prudent move for him.

plasticman

Reaction score
I have suspected, for a while, that Jerry does not want to re-sign Dak. When it comes to the future, I think Trey was Plan A all along.

That is still subject to change, but I believe it is Jerry's preference.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have suspected, for a while, that Jerry does not want to re-sign Dak. When it comes to the future, I think Trey was Plan A all along.

That is still subject to change, but I believe it is Jerry's preference.
You are correct
Dak was a major factor in the playoff loss to the 49ers in 2022 . Next TC Jerry had Quinn bringing pressure and Dak had a pickfest. Jerry immediately acquired Trey.
I'm just dying to find out who was in Jerry's ear.
I got a feeling it may have been Schottenheimer, but I can't wait to find out.
Too early to tell if Trey can be the guy, but if he's used correctly, I like his chances.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It's not throwing skills that are the issue, it's his reading, the field skills where he struggles.

I don't care how many games he's played or what his record is.
10 preseason games

8 TDs

7 ints

He needs reps with the 1s.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know this is a minority opinion on this site, but I actually think TL can be a QB in the NFL; he just needs some good coaching and some playing time. If I remember correctly he really didn’t come into the NFL with a lot of playing experience and then was injured when he was the starting OB in San Francisco; so I would expect him to have limitations ( reading defenses, throwing mechanics), which can be fixed, but you can see his athletic ability. Moreover, it’s not like Dak had any warts on him when he came into the league; he just had the benefit of playing in the SEC as a starter for several years and had talent around him playing for Dallas.
Hope the kid sticks with it and can become a legit starter, whether it’s with Dallas or another team.
so what's his ceiling as a QB? is he elite? and subsequently, its a risk...he COULD be a good QB, with everything being perfect around him.

people fell in love with his physical ability, mostly him being a runner. too bad NFL is not the olympics. you actually have to know how to play football. which he doesn't.

IMHO, his ceiling and I am being overly optimistic if everything goes perfect for him is a good QB and I don't think we should waste time.

half the people on the board, no make that most of the people on this board complain about Dak who is just a good QB and not elite. now, same people want to give chance to Lance, in hopes of him being developed. in HOPES OF, not actually knowing. its the anger towards Dak and wanting him to be replaced that drives a lot of the conversation. if Lance was a 7th rounder, he would already be in the streets. people mildly argued the same thing about Dalton when he was here, Danucci and Mike White and so on.