I am convinced WE OVERRATE the talent on defnse

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Over rated? Dallas was never going to go 16-0. This is still a very good team who just got beat. I don't think we played as well as we should and I give credit to the skins for playing a good game. I don't see any reason to panic this team will bounce back from this loss.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
CATCH17;2295271 said:
The Packers had a lot of clumsy turnovers. They weren't really dominated they just kept finding ways to give the ball away.

They played clumsy football.
no...I watched the game...the Bucs controlled the PAck all day....again, face it fellas....these guys we have on defense are not all that

khiladi

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2295266 said:
Notice where the Commanders did almost all of their damage running--off left tackle. DeMarcus Ware's area.

warecooleypancake.JPG

At that point, our defene was already exhausted. If Canty could beat his mean once in awhile, forcing opposing defenses to stop doubling Ware, than maybe Ware would be much more effective...

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2295283 said:
no...I watched the game...the Bucs controlled the PAck all day....again, face it fellas....these guys we have on defense are not all that

The Bucs' DC is Monte Kiffen, who's the 2nd best DC in the league next to Jim Johnson.

khiladi

Reaction score
bbailey423;2295283 said:

The Green Bay line was getting man-handled.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think this loss was more about the gameplan. In that first touchdown drive and some of the second, they kept throwing those quick slants and I remember Aikman saying that they were setting them up for the double move and shots down the field. Shortly after that was when they started completing a few deeper throws. Our D-Coaches were baited to perfection in my very humble opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
bbailey423;2295283 said:

Well I think they are and I think a lot of their struggles has to do with the way we cover.

I know for a fact Newman, Henry, Pacman, and Hamlin are good players.

I just want Wade to show confidence in them and let them be more aggressive in coverage.

Im sure there were a lot Giants fans saying the same stuff after we torched their d last year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;2295261 said:
WHo is complaining about Ratliff at NT? We are talking about his true position, which isn't NT. I am talking about maximizing the talent of this defense. We would be much better with Ratliff at DL and a big body like Rodgers at NT. If Ratliff was at DL, then we wouldn't have to worry about why Canty sucks, because Ratliff would be playing that position and would be right next to Ware. Our defensine line would actually create some pressure up-the-middle.

Also, Tampa Bay pretty much dominated the Packers yesterday, who only scored because of one amazing pass by Rodgers. Otherwise, the defensive front of Tampa Bay was killing the Packers. The Packers were soundly beaten, and it was Brain Griese's errant throws that kept them in the game.
I'm not completely sure Ratliff would be more effective moving back to DE. I think Ratliff benefits from not having to face players with more lateral movement. Tie that with his great use of leverage (ie ability to clog the center) makes him a damn good NT. The ability to pass rush from the middle like a DE and the ability to clog the center like the big boys. I like Ratliff at NT.

Now don't take that the wrong way, I would like to see what he could do at DE today also which was why I was very happy with the Cowboys working Spears at NT.
JordanTaber;2295266 said:
Notice where the Commanders did almost all of their damage running--off left tackle. DeMarcus Ware's area.

warecooleypancake.JPG

Shall I waste time and show you 100+ plays of him completely dominating the hell out of teams attempting to run outside? You have one play, I can show you hundreds. :rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2295291 said:
I think this loss was more about the gameplan. In that first touchdown drive and some of the second, they kept throwing those quick slants and I remember Aikman saying that they were setting them up for the double move and shots down the field. Shortly after that was when they started completing a few deeper throws. Our D-Coaches were baited to perfection in my very humble opinion.

Wow-one minute we're worried b/c the coaches and players finally caved in to TO's fragile ego, now we're saying the coaches just game planned poorly on D?

Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2295293 said:
I'm not completely sure Ratliff would be more effective moving back to DE. I think Ratliff benefits from not having to face players with more latteral movement. Tie that with his great use of leverage (ie ability to clog the center) makes him a damn good NT. The ability to pass rush from the middle like a DE and the ability to clog the center like the big boys. I like Ratliff at NT.

Now don't take that the wrong way, I would like to see what he could do at DE today also which was why I was very happy with the Cowboys working Spears at NT.

Shall I waste time and show you 100+ plays of him completely dominating the hell out of teams attempting to run outside? You have one play, I can show you hundreds. :rolleyes:

I KNOW--and 99.99% of them would be from 2005-2007. This year he has been weak versus the run. Perhaps he will turn it around, but he just looks vastly different to me physically-speaking. I'm very concerned.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;2295289 said:
The Green Bay line was getting man-handled.

The offensive line is #1 priority in my book. Even before QB. An average QB can pick a defense apart if he has all day to do it. See Superbowl QBs like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning. Look at great QBs when their offensive line isn't playing well like Tom Brady against the Giants in the Superbowl. He got beat to hell, and he didn't play so well.

Give me an offensive line that can hold off an attack from Ghengis Khan, and I will show you an offense that can score on anyone.

Same goes to defense.

NYC's Football Team Priorities:
  1. Offensive Line
  2. Defensive Line (includes OLB for 3-4)
  3. QB
  4. #1 WR
  5. TE
  6. LBers
  7. DBs
  8. RB

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;2295316 said:
The offensive line is #1 priority in my book. Even before QB. An average QB can pick a defense apart if he has all day to do it. See Superbowl QBs like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning. Look at great QBs when their offensive line isn't playing well like Tom Brady against the Giants in the Superbowl. He got beat to hell, and he didn't play so well.

Which is my whole point. Everybody was praising the Dallas defense for shutting down the Packers, and the very next game, the Buccaneers come in and dominate the Packers front, way better than the Cowboys did. They were creating turn-overs and Brooks, if he could catch, should have had 3 interceptions. They forced him out of the game at one point. Our defense on the other hand, was waiting for Rodgers to make mistakes.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2295283 said:

True. The Pack and Browns aren't that good. It's nice we took care of both of them, but the Browns stuggled against the Bengals and GB has issues too.

The other two teams we've played, the Eagles and Commanders both shredded our defense.

Between the defense, Garretts' inexperience, and our consistent costly mistakes - we're going to be hard pressed to advance in the playoffs.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Boysboy;2295298 said:
Wow-one minute we're worried b/c the coaches and players finally caved in to TO's fragile ego, now we're saying the coaches just game planned poorly on D?

Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

When exactly did I say that they caved in to TO's ego?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2295389 said:
When exactly did I say that they caved in to TO's ego?

I can name several CZ posters off the top of my head that went from saying TO is on the verge of explosion yesterday to now admitting our D is our biggest problem.

Of course, calling them out here would be a violation of the rules here.

superpunk

Reaction score
This might be the case. Everyone wanted to run Parcells out of town because he was such an old fool and called stupid base defense and didn't put his players in the best position to be successful - well, we didn't have this kind of talent when Parcells was here, and yet you still see the same crap week after week.

Maybe - just maybe - it is the players, dummy.

Hey Bradie James, you just made a tackle after two yard gain - what are you gonna do now?

I'm gonna celebrate like a ****ing moron.

Boysboy

Reaction score
superpunk;2295407 said:
This might be the case. Everyone wanted to run Parcells out of town because he was such an old fool and called stupid base defense and didn't put his players in the best position to be successful - well, we didn't have this kind of talent when Parcells was here, and yet you still see the same crap week after week.

Maybe - just maybe - it is the players, dummy.

Hey Bradie James, you just made a tackle after two yard gain - what are you gonna do now?

I'm gonna celebrate like a ****ing moron.

That's what I've been saying for several months now-it's the PERSONNEL.

Look at why the Giants won the Super Bowl last year-they got rid of Luke "penalty machine" Pettigout, and all of a sudden, they go from being one of the worst penalized teams to one of the best. NO coincidence. They get rid of Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey got hurt-they looked like a more UNselfish team. NO coincidence.

Everson24

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295195 said:
I like the 3-4 also but wish Dick Lebeau was running it

There must be a LeBeau disiple out there somewhere that we could hire if Garrett takes over as head coach next year. I'm getting tired of the Phillips 3-4 with our personel.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295421 said:
it was, GB couldn't get anything going on the ground

sort of like us

but it was much worse

Ryan Grant just isn't very good-he happens to be in the worst division in football where his stats end up looking much better than they should be.