I am convinced WE OVERRATE the talent on defnse

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we can't have a LeBeau D until we improve 2 of our 3 down-linemen spots

Canty and Spears are road-blocks, that's it, they can play the run well, but they don't open up anything for our LBs in the pass-rush, so Ratliff is being taken out, when he's not dominating the double-team blocks, and it affects the whole pass-rush

we can't execute a successful ILB blitz becasue we only have 1 front 3 person creating any kind of space

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2295435 said:
Ryan Grant just isn't very good-he happens to be in the worst division in football where his stats end up looking much better than they should be.

it's not just that, but the TB D was busting through the line, seemingly on every, other run

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
The Talent on Defense is there, but maybe not the Scheme or Passion.

random Cs

Reaction score
bbailey423;2295008 said:
We rush the QB like a guy having s*x for the first time. We are right there, ready to sack the guy....and we get so nervous/excited we let the guy go before we even get started. Have you ever seen more QBs shrug our defenders off in your life?
Yes, constantly. Do you watch your own QB play? He's impossible to sack.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Boysboy;2295401 said:
I can name several CZ posters off the top of my head that went from saying TO is on the verge of explosion yesterday to now admitting our D is our biggest problem.

Of course, calling them out here would be a violation of the rules here.

So your lumped my post in with a bunch of other folks whose thoughts I don't share to make a point about what exactly????

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Boysboy;2295401 said:
I can name several CZ posters off the top of my head that went from saying TO is on the verge of explosion yesterday to now admitting our D is our biggest problem.

Of course, calling them out here would be a violation of the rules here.

Still waiting for you to let me know why you lumped me in to a general argument that you are having with other folks. Mistake, perhaps?

DBoys

Reaction score
I hate our defense. It is so frustrating to watch. The O will go down and score and does the D hold them hell no they give up a TD.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well Wade Phillips is right there as one of the best and we have had some really good games on defense while he has been here.

Im not ready to kick him out yet. Especially after the record he has had.

But simply not playing your DB's off the receivers so far would help his scheme out so much.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Our line play and front 7 play is pretty good. But all teams have to do is load up on blockers and put only 2 or 3 men in routes and they'll get enough time to throw. Because we really don't send more than 5 or 6 guys most of the time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NickZepp;2295998 said:
Our line play and front 7 play is pretty good. But all teams have to do is load up on blockers and put only 2 or 3 men in routes and they'll get enough time to throw. Because we really don't send more than 5 or 6 guys most of the time.

Who does?

If your sending more than 6 guys consistently than your going to get torched.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
khiladi;2295207 said:
We should have signed Shaun Rodgers, who is with Cleveland. We should not have relied solely on Ratliff as being an NT, because he isn't the ideal size. He would be way more effective as a DL, his oirignal position. Can you imagine how dominating the tandem of Ratliff and Ware could be? And Tank plays himself out of position for a 3-4 NT. He could play a DL.

Canty, Spears, and Hatcher blow.
I've been preaching this for 4 years now, but the saint's aren't listening. The 3-4 has not given us the dominance we've been searching for, so what next?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
NickZepp;2295998 said:
TEams do play max protection especially Philly did this, so this goes back to our secondary, WTH is wrong with all of our "great" DBs?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Clove;2296017 said:
TEams do play max protection especially Philly did this, so this goes back to our secondary, WTH is wrong with all of our "great" DBs?

I've seen one or 2 coverage breakdowns a game. I can live with that because it happens to everyone in every game.

For the most part when you see our guys "get beat" they are usually standing behind the receiver waiting for them to catch the ball and they will immediately make the tackle.

Its a dumb philosiphy and I wish we would cover guys instead of watching them run their route and play pitch and catch.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;2296012 said:
I've been preaching this for 4 years now, but the saint's aren't listening. The 3-4 has not given us the dominance we've been searching for, so what next?

I think the biggest mistake we made on defense was changing to the 3-4 in the first place. It hasn't been effective, to say the least, and it caused us to have to limit our coaching search when BP left to 3-4 guys.

We have the personnel to easily switch to the 4-3 if we dump Wade after this season. But I have a feeling we won't change. Probably just bring in Capers.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The defensive talent is not overrated.

Wade and Stew are the ones who are overrated.

Based on their performances of late, those two guys belong in the CFL.

Nexx

Reaction score
the SCHEME still doesnt fit our personal, we have bump and run man corners trying to learn a zone scheme. we have a 30 year old corner who has lost a step that he couldnt afford to lose and is covering a quick and speedy santana moss half the game and giving him 12 yard cushion. we have other than ratliff and bunch of pansies who are SOFT on the dline. we have probably two of the least athletic outside linebackers in the NFL, god i was so envious watching the bears linebackers SWARM to the football and make soild tackles without running back gaining additional 3 yards after being wrapped up. our defense is SOFT and it reflects our SOFT headcoach.

SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

with that being said, there is nothing that cant be fixed. we have the players, its up to the coaches to put them in the right position to suceed. its up to the coaches to help change the attitude of the defense. its up the players to take it personally and heart and play like they can.

honestly if it were up to me... i would have Ware and Ellis outside and Canty and Ratliff in the 4-3. Burnett, Zach and Barbie at linebackers.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The problem is that fans conflate "talent" with "potential." Just because we have a lot of #1 picks or high dollar free agents on the defensive side of the ball does not mean we are "talented." We have the "potential" to be great, but that's about it. The rest is up to them.