I Asked This Last January

Hoov

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
There's a whole lot of hate in the world. IMO it's absurd to "hate" a guy you've never met, probably never will meet and all that you know about is 2nd or 3rd hand anyway, usually from people with both agendas and deadlines. We all have our favorites but I try to keep an open mind and judge people by what I see.

You can safely conclude TO is egocentric but the NFL is loaded with guys that know it's both a business and entertainment. Should we hate all them? That's too complicated for me. I think I'll just kick back for the next few months and keep a fresh bag of Orville Reddenbacher in the microwave and hope lots of guys with stars on their helmets run into the painted part of the field with the ball, #81 included.
well said cassidy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bigbadroy said:
i think he should go to the star, get down on his hands and knees, take is helmnet off and give the star a big kiss

What a great way to start off your relationship with Parcells drawing a 15 yarder for excessive celebration.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
There's a whole lot of hate in the world. IMO it's absurd to "hate" a guy you've never met, probably never will meet and all that you know about is 2nd or 3rd hand anyway, usually from people with both agendas and deadlines. We all have our favorites but I try to keep an open mind and judge people by what I see.

You can safely conclude TO is egocentric but the NFL is loaded with guys that know it's both a business and entertainment. Should we hate all them? That's too complicated for me. I think I'll just kick back for the next few months and keep a fresh bag of Orville Reddenbacher in the microwave and hope lots of guys with stars on their helmets run into the painted part of the field with the ball, #81 included.

I would not say I hate the guy as you said I don't know him but yes I think players should conduct themselves as the professionals they are suppose to be. There are many people in the world that folks don't like because of things they say or do but we don't know them personally. Heck look at Tom Cruise or any other celebrity out there. Things you say and do have a lot to do with how people will accept you or not.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too forgiving, but I could care less about his antics on the star as I look at it today. He was a rival then. IMO the star on the middle of the field wasn't "sacred" until TO went out there, then everyone was in an uproar over it.

As far as I'm concerned he's a Cowboy now. You can call him a "mercenary" player, but that's a fact of life in today's NFL. I am a fan and put my full backing behind TO as a Cowboy, just as I do Ayodele, Vanderjagt, Kosier, Fabini, Colombo and others. I want every free agent the Cowboys sign to be the best signing we could have made. It's just the reality of the NFL today.

As for the celebration, I don't want to see it if it's going to draw a 15 yard penalty. I don't know if the refs will give some leniency here, but I doubt it. If I was a Niner fan when TO went to the star, I would have been frustrated over the flag. If he does it again as a Cowboy I won't like the flag. I may chuckle if it's creative, but the flag will probably irritate me more. But it doesn't change my support for the guy as a Cowboy.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
What a great way to start off your relationship with Parcells drawing a 15 yarder for excessive celebration.
it must be done

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bigbadroy said:
it must be done

No it doesn't best thing TO can do is put the past behind him take this fresh start and maybe along the way it will change the perception many people (fans and media) think about him. Acting like an idiot and drawing flags is just what the media wants, so don’t give it to them.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
There's a whole lot of hate in the world. IMO it's absurd to "hate" a guy you've never met, probably never will meet and all that you know about is 2nd or 3rd hand anyway

Au contraire, dude...I've met him and hung around observing him and his attitude for hours this summer. The guy is a jerk. I met Barry Sanders once, too...sat down and talked with him for about a half hour. He was the best back in football at the time and he was completely unassuming and humble...heck, he was almost boring. Being talented doesn't excuse boorish behavior...so f**k Owens.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
I'm not sure this would happen anyhow. It would mean his pastor asked him to praise God during the game again.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
I'm not sure this would happen anyhow. It would mean his pastor asked him to praise God during the game again.
:lmao2:

dallasfan

Reaction score
I would hope that RW would run from the sideline and tackle him. With that being said no way he runs to midfield and does that, now the small star in the endzone is a different matter.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would not say I hate the guy as you said I don't know him but yes I think players should conduct themselves as the professionals they are suppose to be. There are many people in the world that folks don't like because of things they say or do but we don't know them personally. Heck look at Tom Cruise or any other celebrity out there. Things you say and do have a lot to do with how people will accept you or not.

I don't disagree. As I said, we all have our favorites and there's nothing wrong with forming impressions, positive or negative on what we see them do. I just think the level of vitriol directed towards TO is over the top and IMO shows what the power of the press really can be. All I know for sure about TO is he wants to get paid and he's not fond of Jeff Garcia or Donovan McNabb- take away the MASSIVE press coverage and who would really care? But your mentioning Tom Cruise was just an example, right? Please don't tell me TO is a member of the church of Scientology?:eek:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
He will need to earn my respect as an individual no matter if he is a cowboy player or not.

now how do you propose he go about doing that? go to your house and lavish gifts on you? ;)

btw, I'll be jumping up and down when TO scores his 1st TD, 1st of many I hope, and I was one of those who couldn't foresee BP allowing TO to join his team back in January, but like most, I hope I'm proven wrong and TO becomes a great Cowboy, for 3 years at least

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:

:hammer: and seems with further evidence, we can nix the idea that TO isn't a team player

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Tass said:
Au contraire, dude...I've met him and hung around observing him and his attitude for hours this summer. The guy is a jerk. I met Barry Sanders once, too...sat down and talked with him for about a half hour. He was the best back in football at the time and he was completely unassuming and humble...heck, he was almost boring. Being talented doesn't excuse boorish behavior...so f**k Owens.

WR's as a group are a pretty selfish lot, are they not? And you're right Sanders was almost unique in his humble ways and it would be great if everyone flipped the ball to the refs and just ran back to the huddle. But that ain't reality, is it?

In fact, I would wager if you knew all there was to know about the MAJORITY of NFL players, their criminal records, personal habits, interpersonal relationships yada yada yada LITTLE OF WHICH IS USUALLY PUBLICIZED, you might not like them so much either. Better not to know and better not to get too carried away about knocking athletes down or putting them on pedestals. IMO it's safer and less stressful. Just like you don't really want to know what's in those sausages you grill on Sundays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I don't disagree. As I said, we all have our favorites and there's nothing wrong with forming impressions, positive or negative on what we see them do. I just think the level of vitriol directed towards TO is over the top and IMO shows what the power of the press really can be. All I know for sure about TO is he wants to get paid and he's not fond of Jeff Garcia or Donovan McNabb- take away the MASSIVE press coverage and who would really care? But your mentioning Tom Cruise was just an example, right? Please don't tell me TO is a member of the church of Scientology?:eek:

Reason I even brought up Cruise is because just like TO he is a celebrity and people will look at you a certain way based on how you conduct yourself. Given what Cruise has done many fans have turned on him and the movie studio he was working for basically fired him. TO no different many people are getting tired of his act and the act of other bone heads in the NFL. What you do, what you say matters when your in the public eye

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Reason I even brought up Cruise is because just like TO he is a celebrity and people will look at you a certain way based on how you conduct yourself.

do you know that that's the standard for any normal, human being? if you guys are expecting people who get alot of money, and have everything work out the way they want it to, to behave like the rest of us, or how we perceive they should act because that's what we expect from our fellow man, or regular joe to be precise, then idk

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
I think it would be a great sign of things to come if he just tossed the ball to the nearest official.

If TO would do this at this point in his career, two things would happen.

1) My respect for him would suddenly sky rocket.

2) The media would LOVE IT. I can actually see this as the best way for him to re-rep himself. Suddenly start doing this EVERY SINGLE TIME. his lack of celebration would speak VOLUMES.

Ain't gonna happen, though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
do you know that that's the standard for any normal, human being? if you guys are expecting people who get alot of money, and have everything work out the way they want it to, to behave like the rest of us, or how we perceive they should act because that's what we expect from our fellow man, or regular joe to be precise, then idk

True but then don't act suprise when people bad mouth TO because of his actions, I don't hear anyone up in arms over Cruise being slammed or any other celeb who makes an ars of themselfs. You make your bed you sleep in it.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Reason I even brought up Cruise is because just like TO he is a celebrity and people will look at you a certain way based on how you conduct yourself. Given what Cruise has done many fans have turned on him and the movie studio he was working for basically fired him. TO no different many people are getting tired of his act and the act of other bone heads in the NFL. What you do, what you say matters when your in the public eye

Bear in mind that all of Tom's wacky statements are based on his religious views. Many rational people might think Scientology is a cult based on a foundation of absurdities but it's tough to really hold that against him.:laugh2: But again I would much rather not know. And the funny thing is about Cruise, he can continue to pop off any time he wants and whether anyone likes it or not he's still got the 100m in the bank from Mission Impossible 3.:laugh1: