I bought a Trey Lance jersey

DuncanIso

Reaction score
First off I agree with everything you said. But I want to add one more thing to this.

We don't know what the 49ers thought of Lance. But we DO know they have a Super Bowl ready team. So once they found out Brock Purdy could handle the job, maybe they just no longer saw any need to wait for Lance to develop. They are a "win now" team and decided not to wait around for Lance to take his lumps.

Purdy and Darnold looked better than Lance in SF simply because both have played infinitely more football than he has; even going back to high school.

A strong preseason by Lance means Cooper Rush is gone, that is my prediction.
Dallas doesn’t need a QB2.

Rush is the ultimate relief pitcher.

Dallas needs a QB1 who can win in the playoffs.

That’s why they made the Lance trade.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We knew exactly what the Niners thought of Trance, that is why they traded 3 #1 picks for him. Then they released what he actually was and traded him away for a 4th and they were ecstatic about it.
They were estatic when the traded those high picks to elect him #3 overall as well.
They only thing they were estatic over trading him away, was not to have to pay the future money this year and then make a decision on his 5th year option.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They were estatic when the traded those high picks to elect him #3 overall as well.
They only thing they were estatic over trading him away, was not to have to pay the future money this year and then make a decision on his 5th year option.
If he was a good player they would have been just fine keeping him and would not have traded for a 4th.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he was a good player they would have been just fine keeping him and would not have traded for a 4th.
How would they know if he could become a good player or not?
You said yourself around 100 times, he only has thrown 500 pass attempts. That is not enough to know what he can really do.

You may catch up to him in the number of times saying that, as to his number of attempts by the start of the season. :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
How would they know if he could become a good player or not?
You said yourself around 100 times, he only has thrown 500 pass attempts. That is not enough to know what he can really do.

You may catch up to him in the number of times saying that, as to his number of attempts by the start of the season. :muttley:
Because they had him for 2 years and evaluated him. If he actually beat out Jimmy G. why would they have signed Sam Darnold to a 1 year $4.5M deal?

Do you think Darnold and his agent thought they were coming to SF to be the emergency backup?

So they got rid of a Trance to save money, but then had to spend on Darnold? So what did they save?

What they did was they upgrades the position and punted on Trance.

Do you realize how embarrassing it has to be for the Niners to make that decision after what they traded for him?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they had him for 2 years and evaluated him. If he actually beat out Jimmy G. why would they have signed Sam Darnold to a 1 year $4.5M deal?

Do you think Darnold and his agent thought they were coming to SF to be the emergency backup?

So they got rid of a Trance to save money, but then had to spend on Darnold? So what did they save?

What they did was they upgrades the position and punted on Trance.

Do you realize how embarrassing it has to be for the Niners to make that decision after what they traded for him?
They saved by not making a future decision not to pick up his 5th year option. Then letting him go as a FA. They got what they could when they could.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They saved by not making a future decision not to pick up his 5th year option. Then letting him go as a FA. They got what they could when they could.
They had to the sign another back up QB this year. Then had to sign Joshua Dobbs. So over the last 2 years they have saved zero money trading Trance, while upgrading their QB position.

The bunted for a 4th round pick, which is an absolute embarrassment for they traded to get him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dallas doesn’t need a QB2.

Rush is the ultimate relief pitcher.

Dallas needs a QB1 who can win in the playoffs.

That’s why they made the Lance trade.
They wanted a QB2 with enough physical talent that they wouldn't have to scale the offense back drastically like they did with Rush in 2022. That's why they traded for Lance, who has superior athleticism and arm talent.

I know Dallas went 4-1 with Rush that season but the defense did the heavy lifting. The Cowboys only scored nine offensive touchdowns in Rush's five starts that season.

Sorry this doesn't fit the "anybody but Dak" agenda so prevalent on this forum but Dallas wanted a developmental QB anyway. Lance was never meant to threaten Dak. To say so is like saying drafting Caelon Carson is a threat to DaRon Bland.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
We knew exactly what the Niners thought of Trance, that is why they traded 3 #1 picks for him. Then they released what he actually was and traded him away for a 4th and they were ecstatic about it.
I doubt they were ecstatic about investing three early round picks in a guy and only getting a 4th in return. The Cowboys are basically getting a risk-free look at a player that several teams would have taken where SF did.

If Lance fails in Dallas, so what? It's no worse than the 4th round picks they've used on guys like Josh Ball in the past anyway. Just my opinion.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They wanted a QB2 with enough physical talent that they wouldn't have to scale the offense back drastically like they did with Rush in 2022. That's why they traded for Lance, who has superior athleticism and arm talent.

I know Dallas went 4-1 with Rush that season but the defense did the heavy lifting. The Cowboys only scored nine offensive touchdowns in Rush's five starts that season.

Sorry this doesn't fit the "anybody but Dak" agenda so prevalent on this forum but Dallas wanted a developmental QB anyway. Lance was never meant to threaten Dak. To say so is like saying drafting Caelon Carson is a threat to DaRon Bland.
I understand why the gambled on Trance. It has also been made clear he is competing for QB2. So it was a waste of time, money and draft capitol.

If he was competing for QB1 it would have made some sense. Exactly the same reason the Niners traded him in the first place. Same reason theNiners signed Darnold. They new he was not even a legit back up QB.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I understand why the gambled on Trance. It has also been made clear he is competing for QB2. So it was a waste of time, money and draft capitol.

If he was competing for QB1 it would have made some sense. Exactly the same reason the Niners traded him in the first place. Same reason theNiners signed Darnold. They new he was not even a legit back up QB.
Or they figured Darnold was more game-ready to be a backup to Purdy in the event he was needed. Lance is still very raw and inexperienced; and the 49ers did not want to risk having to play him on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Dallas' investment is only a 4th round pick. That's not a steep cost if Lance becomes a high-end backup.

The 49ers' investment in Lance, however, was something teams do for a long term franchise starter. Any way we look at this deal, the 49ers lost it. As the one huge failure their front office has made in recent memory, they couldn't be rid of the guy fast enough.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Or they figured Darnold was more game-ready to be a backup to Purdy in the event he was needed. Lance is still very raw and inexperienced; and the 49ers did not want to risk having to play him on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Dallas' investment is only a 4th round pick. That's not a steep cost if Lance becomes a high-end backup.

The 49ers' investment in Lance, however, was something teams do for a long term franchise starter. Any way we look at this deal, the 49ers lost it. As the one huge failure their front office has made in recent memory, they couldn't be rid of the guy fast enough.
They went with Darnold because of the trade to Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They went with Darnold because of the trade to Dallas.
They signed Darnold well before the trade to Dallas. Come on man. It is not hard to figure out.

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-sign-quarterback-sam-darnold-one-year-deal-nfl-free-agency

They signed Darnold to a $4.5M deal. Then he beats out Trancce and he gets traded to Dallas.

If they had any faith in Trance, they would not have even signed Darnold to begin with.

They knew when they signed Darnold he was their number 2. You don't pay an emergency QB $4.5M. Same reason Trance will beat out Rush this year no matter what.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Lance prevents Dak from holding out for a new contract.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Hey man, I know people are gonna clown you for it, but I say if it makes you happy go for it! Don’t let anyone take your joy in the small things. Which jersey number did you get? I think his “5” would look sick.