I changed my mind on Linehan

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
actually if you watched the video, there were plenty of shots were recievers were open, sometime WIDE WIDE open. dak just missed them. but I don't expect him to see everything all the time, but man, he missed all of them.
Mixed bag there.
Some he flat missed with his eyes, some with his accuracy, some weren't really open and others the WR looked barely interested.
His accuracy looked really bad but if you watch it back you can see where he tried to make uber safe throws away from defenders that looked a lot worse than they really were.
Fans tend to believe the perfect throw is hitting a guy in the chest but the defense often takes that away and you need to lead a guy outside or intentionally short.

All in all they were bad across all aspects of the offense. Playcalling certainly can NOT be excused as the video portends. NOR was the same ole same ole offense we ran Sunday executed worth a nickel.
Tyron was flat awful, the TEs have no idea how to run NFL routes and no one understands the scramble drill apparently.

Dak clearly doesn't trust his receivers and Linehan still refuses to use pick plays and other stuff to get guys open quickly where Dak excels.

Dak doesn't try to hit tight window throws. It's a risk averse way to do things but it also means right now we have no offense at all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mixed bag there.
Some he flat missed with his eyes, some with his accuracy, some weren't really open and others the WR looked barely interested.
His accuracy looked really bad but if you watch it back you can see where he tried to make uber safe throws away from defenders that looked a lot worse than they really were.
Fans tend to believe the perfect throw is hitting a guy in the chest but the defense often takes that away and you need to lead a guy outside or intentionally short.

All in all they were bad across all aspects of the offense. Playcalling certainly can NOT be excused as the video portends. NOR was the same ole same ole offense we ran Sunday executed worth a nickel.
Tyron was flat awful, the TEs have no idea how to run NFL routes and no one understands the scramble drill apparently.

Dak clearly doesn't trust his receivers and Linehan still refuses to use pick plays and other stuff to get guys open quickly where Dak excels.

Dak doesn't try to hit tight window throws. It's a risk averse way to do things but it also means right now we have no offense at all.
play calling would look a lot better if a few of the plays were made that were there....no OC and I mean no OC calls a perfect game...its adjustment, try this, or try that and most hope the most of the plays are positive and successful. it seemed that we were in position, recievers were open and Dak either just had a bad game (hoping) or he sucks generally and we need to look for another QB. and yes, some of the execution was down right awful and what a coach is supposed to do is put the players in position to succeed, specially your star players, but obviously tyron didn't have a great game and some of the other players just plain screwed up.

not a perfect game call. but bad execution made it look a lot worse than it really was....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
yes, did you notice that those crappy TEs were open on a lot of plays but didn't get the ball thrown their way (or thrown to their feet)....
Did you notice those TEs weren't even looking at the ball half the time??

No quarterback all pre-season was any good, no qb has been any good in this offense in half a year.
YET it's the same offense with worse Receiving options.
Miss me with nonsense about how Linehan had guys open.

We were sold a bill of goods about a revamped offense and the complaints Dez threw down about it being vanilla panned out again Sunday.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
if you can't pass successfully, then teams will load the box to stop the run, and blitz you and Carolina did that. they learned very quickly this guy is not able to make passes and they don't have to be afraid... there were plenty of recievers open on multiple plays...he just didn't make the plays...

and I am sure you will say zeke only had 15 touches...yes, because we were in a lot of 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations that you can't run your way out of consistently.

its not a college game where you can pass pass pass or just run run run, there needs to be balance and our passing game is not complementing the running game
Zeke can catch a ball, I've seen him do it before. Why wasn't he more involved in the passing game? Tavon has game breaking speed, where was he in the passing game? Those two guys are real threats with the ball in their hands. Zeke had 3 catches and Tavon had 0. Why aren't our two best playmakers involved in that phase of the offense more often. If I'm a DC, I'm more concerned about Zeke or Tavon catching a ball, than some a trio of TEs that have 9 catches combined. For an opposing DC, it makes their job easier. I like Zeke's chances 1on1 against player in the league. Get him some short passes on the move, doesn't need much space, he can run past, through or jump over most players. It's a novel concept, get the ball to your playmakers.

I'd rather see the ball going to Zeke than Swaim, we've seen what Zeke can do in the open field. Is Deonte Thompson really better than Tavon? We've all seen what Tavon can do with a little bit of space. Either player is capable of taking quick short 5 yard passes for sizable gains and if a defender makes a mistake, to the house. Zeke should be getting 5-6 catches a game, Tavon 3-4, I wouldn't mind more but don't want to be greedy.

I'll die on this hill if I have to, get Zeke and Tavon more involved in the passing game. It's 2018, RBs are allowed to catch the ball.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After watching a video from AKOYE Media, demonstrating just how bad Dak is, and just how open our receivers where, I changed my mind on Linehan.

Folks, we have a problem here. Dak is costing us games. His fear and inability to throw the ball, it is crushing this team. This loss falls squarely on Dak.

Dak routinely ONLY looks at one half of the field. Guys are running wide open and Dak isn't even looking. It takes him too long to process this info for him to pull the trigger. Often times he creates a sack when in fact he had a receiver wide open.

Not sure how Dak recovers from this. He simply is not throwing to guys who are open for 10-20 yards. He literally had 2 EASY TD's sitting there that he muffed. One was a 60+ yarder to Jarwin the other a 50+ yarder to TWill. Dang.

Watch this expose on Dak. Be prepared to be sick.

This guy always thinks everybody is open.

He does not understand timing. He thinks the time from a QB seeing a receiver "open" to the time the ball arrives on the receiver's hand is ZERO.

Routes at 15 plus yards require time for the ball to arrive even with the strongest armed QBs. The positioning of defenders relative to the target receiver changes significantly by the time the ball arrives. DBs can close a lot of ground on TEs while the ball is in the air.

I would love to have a simulator that could take real game footage and show what would happen if the QB threw the ball on those plays where he claims Dak should have thrown it. You would see that it does not work the way this guy claims.

He also thinks a QB can see a receiver when a pass rusher is 2 inches away and that the QB can still throw the ball. If a pass rusher has beaten the blocker and is just steps away when a QB is on his 3rd or 4th read and that 4th read is 30 plus yards away, then most QBs are not going to play roulette with the pass rusher.

If he was more observant, he would know that Dak is not running forward trying to get more distance on his throws because last year Dak was always high/long on plays where he was running forward. The physics of throwing while running forward requires the QB to "aim short" as compared to a stationary throw. It's possible Dak has over-correcting on this issue but he is not running forward to increase the distance on throws. He is running forward to avoid pass rushers and to gain yards if he does not throw the ball.

If you spend hours watching All-22 (often in slow motion) you can start to see the timing issues that this guy does not understand.

I've even timed the setup and time in the air of passes by Dak at various distances and then used that to estimate the final position of receivers on plays where Dak didn't throw the ball.

I've also timed some DBs on plays where there was significant spacing between them and the receiver at the point they saw the QB starting his throwing motion. As I said before, the longer the pass is in the air, the more distance the DBs can makeup.

Passing in the NFL just does not work the way the guy that makes these videos thinks it works.

To his credit, he did show how Tyron was totally out of it mentally in this game. The mistakes don't appear to involve a physical problem. Hopefully he gets it together this week and hopefully it is not related to the new OL coach getting into his head in a bad way.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

He does not understand timing. He thinks the time from a QB seeing a receiver "open" to the time the ball arrives on the receiver's hand is ZERO.

Routes at 15 plus yards require time for the ball to arrive even with the strongest armed QBs. The positioning of defenders relative to the target receiver changes significantly by the time the ball arrives. DBs can close a lot of ground on TEs while the ball is in the air.

I would love to have a simulator that could take real game footage and show what would happen if the QB threw the ball on those plays where he claims Dak should have thrown it. You would see that it does not work the way this guy claims.

He also thinks a QB can see a receiver when a pass rusher is 2 inches away and that the QB can still throw the ball. If a pass rusher has beaten the blocker and is just steps away when a QB is on his 3rd or 4th read and that 4th read is 30 plus yards away, then most QBs are not going to play roulette with the pass rusher.

If he was more observant, he would know that Dak is not running forward trying to get more distance on his throws because last year Dak was always high/long on plays where he was running forward. The physics of throwing while running forward requires the QB to "aim short" as compared to a stationary throw. It's possible Dak has over-correcting on this issue but he is not running forward to increase the distance on throws. He is running forward to avoid pass rushers and to gain yards if he does not throw the ball.

If you spend hours watching All-22 (often in slow motion) you can start to see the timing issues that this guy does not understand.

I've even timed the setup and time in the air of passes by Dak at various distances and then used that to estimate the final position of receivers on plays where Dak didn't throw the ball.

I've also timed some DBs on plays where there was significant spacing between them and the receiver at the point they saw the QB starting his throwing motion. As I said before, the longer the pass is in the air, the more distance the DBs can makeup.

Passing in the NFL just does not work the way the guy that makes these videos thinks it works.

To his credit, he did show how Tyron was totally out of it mentally in this game. The mistakes don't appear to involve a physical problem. Hopefully he gets it together this week and hopefully it is not related to the new OL coach getting into his head in a bad way.

EXACTLY ^

& this is why NFL coaches have a decent PLAYBOOK, so that on gameday the QB is ready to throw the ball; even if nobody is there, he knows the reciever will get there.

It comes down to training those plays, AND how good those plays are designed.

Excellent post !

Cap12

Reaction score

No quarterback all pre-season was any good, no qb has been any good in this offense in half a year.

We were sold a bill of goods about a revamped offense and the complaints Dez threw down about it being vanilla panned out again Sunday.
Totally disagree. We weren't too vanilla. We were too complicated. The film doesn't lie. The plays were there to be made. Many times receviersran decent routes, but the QB failed to throw it to them or made an inaccurate throw. My theory is the reason we were so successful in 2016 was Linehan dumbed down the playbook for a rookie QB and let him use his athletic gifts and some clutch throws to win games. In 2016, our offense was a Ferarri and Dak was handed the keys..In 2018, We've got an Infinity, with an instruction manual that's written in Japanese. The rest of the offense speaks the language, but Dak simply doesn't get it because he's slow and not secure on his reads. We need to go back to 2016 if we have any hope here. Like it or not Dak's development seems to be behind the curve for a 3rd year starter. We've got to regress so he can progress.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Dak looked bad there's no doubt, but there was bad communication throughout the offense. I watched several breakdowns, some were spot on some were very misleading and some were plain wrong. There was one that was interesting, it wasn't like many of the zero in on Dak bashing ones, but showed good, bad for the entire offense and that was just good defense. There was a designed rollout and as Dak is rolling out, 2 WR are standing at the sideline next to each, literally close enough to hug each other and of course two defenders with them and the TE, think it was Jarwin running right towards them with his defender on his hip. Somehow, I don't think that's the way the play was designed. There was another where it looks like Hurns was the primary read on a 7yd out route, but it wasn't a straight line then sharp cut, it was a slow curve and Dak has to go to the next read. There were a couple where the TE should have settled in the soft spot, but kept moving, that's just inexperience. Dak definitely shoulders a good deal of the blame, but there's enough blame for everyone. Beasley is the only one that really looked like played a clean game, so it's not a surprise he was Dak's favorite target.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EXACTLY ^

& this is why NFL coaches have a decent PLAYBOOK, so that on gameday the QB is ready to throw the ball; even if nobody is there, he knows the reciever will get there.

Excellent post !

Beasley and Witten have been the only ones that Dak could trust to do what he expected if he threw the ball early. Dez often screwed him over by doing something unpredictable and TWill, Butler etc. were not super reliable either.

He does not know the new WRs and TEs well enough to have that trust with them yet.

Aikman probably would have just quit if he had the receiving options that Dak had in 2017. I remember one year in training camp he was going off on Kevin Williams because the depth of where he made his cut on a route varied by about 1 foot. I was there with a clear view and the routes looked identical to me watching live but Aikman just wasn't satisfied.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
As I said earlier, I doubt he’s missing those passes in practice otherwise he wouldn’t be our starting QB.

Aria it has been repeatedly reported how bad he has been in practice. Not just this year but throughout his two and a half year career. I am actually shocked that you even made that statement.

Just google Dak Prescott bad practices and scroll down the page and you will see many articles on that. Keep scrolling to go further back to last year and even his rookie year when he won ROTY.

It’s well documented he is bad in practice!

Cap12

Reaction score

I don't know where to start with how wrong some of this is. Dak spent most of the game throwing off of his back foot or on-the-run. This does not make for accurate throws. As for the timing Will Cain accurately stated that Dak held the ball longer thean the NFL average. He's treating every play like a slow developing play like the wheel route, when most of the plays are quick hit slants or outs. On a lot of these plays, he's not carching receivers coming out of their breaks at the top of their routes because he's failed to see them. or beings the ball down because he doesn't think he can make the throw. On the ones that he completes this way, he costs the receiver YAC because the ball is not out on-time or on-target. This game film is evidence that Dak's development in behind the curve and perhaps Linehan may have to simplify the playbook. Most NFL QBs probably would have had good days with Linehan's playcalling this past Sunday

Cap12

Reaction score
Beasley and Witten have been the only ones that Dak could trust to do what he expected if he threw the ball early. Dez often screwed him over by doing something unpredictable and TWill, Butler etc. were not super reliable either.

He does not know the new WRs and TEs well enough to have that trust with them yet.

Aikman probably would have just quit if he had the receiving options that Dak had in 2017. I remember one year in training camp he was going off on Kevin Williams because the depth of where he made his cut on a route varied by about 1 foot. I was there with a clear view and the routes looked identical to me watching live but Aikman just wasn't satisfied.
That's BS about Dak "trusting" only Beasley.. Make the throws on-target and on-time. Make and trust your reads. I saw no examples of WRs or TEs making any outrageous drops. I saw a heck of a lot of bad throws though.

aria

Reaction score
Aria it has been repeatedly reported how bad he has been in practice. Not just this year but throughout his two and a half year career. I am actually shocked that you even made that statement.

Just google Dak Prescott bad practices and scroll down the page and you will see many articles on that. Keep scrolling to go further back to last year and even his rookie year when he won ROTY.

It’s well documented he is bad in practice!
I really wasn’t aware of how bad he was this year. I figured there would be some growing pains with new receivers but not missing wide open guys a few yards downfield. This is actually somewhat shocking to me. Why the hell haven’t we been more aggressive in at least finding a suitable back up or potential starter like Teddy Bridgewater? I think he still has a lot left in the tank.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

HA HA HA HA a new bag of DAK-Excuses is open for business......common folk's buy while there still available.....:lmao:

Cap12

Reaction score
EXACTLY ^

Excellent post !
Play design looked fine in the All 22. The QB missed at least a dozen reads and made a bunch of poor throws too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Play design looked fine in the All 22. The QB missed at least a dozen reads and made a bunch of poor throws too.

Our Playbook must be the smallest in the NFL due to Dak's limited talents.......3-4 pages at best i figure....

P.S. 90% of the passes are under 5 yards and 10% are Dak Panic out of the pocket runs.....

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Linehan gets exonerated based on the fact that Dak has footwork, accuracy, and vision deficits?