I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you even read it, it says in 2016 this is what the rule says.

But keep on spinning it, never doubted that you wouldn't, just like every other time you could not refute things.

Apparently you didn't read. It doesn't say Dez was established as a runner under the 2014 rule but not under the 2016 rule, or that Dez was any less obligated to maintain possession all the way through the play in 2014, it merely changes the wording that describes maintaining possession through the play when a player isn't established as a runner.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The term making a “football move” was expunged from the rulebook because no one understood exactly what it meant. You just continue to waste your time. lol Removing the term “football move” isn’t changing the rule.
LOL, that is priceless, so removing the words that have been in the book for decades is not changing the rule. Just like adding the words upright long enough, a concept that was never there, isn't either. So upright long enough and reducing acts down to avoid or ward off made it more clear? :facepalm:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Apparently you didn't read. It doesn't say the standard for being established as a runner is different, it just changes the wording that describes maintaining possession through the play when a player isn't established as a runner.
The request was did the rule change, show a link, that article said they changed the rule in 2015. So maybe you should stay out of the discussion when you have no idea what to are commenting on?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
if you've ever watched a pga event on the tube, you will often heard shots referred to as "good golf shots". I always wondered as opposed to what?
Yeah, that's true. I guess I never realized that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The request was did the rule change, show a link, that article said they changed the rule in 2015. So maybe you should stay out of the discussion when you have no idea what to are commenting on?
Weren't you just whining about an insult that wasn't even really an insult unless you're ultra sensitive?
"Stay out of the discussion." Lmao. The e-balls around here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL, that is priceless, so removing the words that have been in the book for decades is not changing the rule. Just like adding the words upright long enough, a concept that was never there, isn't either. So upright long enough and reducing acts down to avoid or ward off made it more clear? :facepalm:

Removing the term “football move” from the rulebook wasn’t changing the rule. A football move is still required in the catch process but the term was removed because people didn’t understand what it entailed. I believe Percy said it was put back in the rulebook under clarification. The NFL has been attempting to clarify the rule but the rule hasn’t been changed. You continue to prove you don’t know what you’re talking about.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Removing the term “football move” from the rulebook wasn’t changing the rule. A football move is still required in the catch process but the term was removed because people didn’t understand what it entailed. I believe Percy said it was put back in the rulebook under clarification. The NFL has been attempting to clarify the rule but the rule hasn’t been changed. You continue to prove you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Just keep ignoring that upright long enough part. Care to cite that in the 2014 rule, since you like demanding proof, show it to all of us, old rule master.:rolleyes:

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Two officials evaluated the play and one of those officials was involved in the Calvin Johnson play. Blandino wasn’t involved in the Johnson play, Steratore was the only one who viewed it on replay and he alone made that call. Millions of people have evaluated the Dez play over the past three years and everyone who works for the league and gets paid to talk football agrees the final call was correct under the rule. I’ve read a number of your posts and you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to this rule. You’re as in the dark about this rule as anyone I’ve seen.
Many professionals say Dez's play should have been ruled a catch.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2639506-how-the-nfls-catch-rule-became-the-worst-rule-in-sports

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Oh it was put back all right, but after one long, confusing season without it.

And "upright long enough" stayed in, so that's still the standard for becoming a runner.

aria

Reaction score
I understand, but how often do we actually see a team get beat because it ran out of challenges. It's rare that a team actually needs more than 2-3 to begin with, especially since every touchdown and turnover is automatically reviewed anyway.
Not often but it doesn’t change the fact that a team could potentially be “punished” for being right.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just keep ignoring that upright long enough part. Care to cite that in the 2014 rule, since you like demanding proof, show it to all of us, old rule master.:rolleyes:

You can’t even tell the difference between a rule change and a rule clarification. You think because the term “football move” was removed from the rulebook it changed the rule. lol You’re looking to twist everything you can to try and fit your argument. A football move is still required but a receiver going to the ground still has to complete the process.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh it was put back all right, but after one long, confusing season without it.

And "upright long enough" stayed in, so that's still the standard for becoming a runner.

I told you before it ever got removed from the rulebook that it would be taken out because no one not even the league could explain exactly what a football move was to anyone’s satisfaction. The most ridiculous and confusing term is a move common to the game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
makes sense because it's such a general term. Literally anything during a game is a football move.
I had no idea what a football move was, until I understood what it was used for. Then it made sense right away. It was used to determine whether a player with control and two feet down had held the ball long enough in order to become a runner.

It's anything a runner does (on purpose, of course).

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I told you before it ever got removed from the rulebook that it would be taken out because no one not even the league could explain exactly what a football move was to anyone’s satisfaction. The most ridiculous and confusing term is a move common to the game.
You do realize that's what a football move is.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The players and fans think it should have been a catch because no one likes the rule.
I think it's the other way around.

And the rule wasn't changed until after the Dez play. Which I think was probably mentioned a time or two in these 100+ pages.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You do realize that's what a football move is.

They’re both ridiculous terms that have just added to the confusion. They mean the same thing but no one can explain exactly what they mean. A receiver going up and high pointing a football over a defender and making a catch is a football move in my book. Dez performed a number of football moves during that catch but he didn’t complete the process through the ground.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think it's the other way around.

And the rule wasn't changed until after the Dez play. Which I think was probably mentioned a time or two in these 100+ pages.

The rule has been the same since 2010 and the Calvin Johnson play. There hasn’t been any rule changes only rule clarifications.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
They’re both ridiculous terms that have just added to the confusion. They mean the same thing but no one can explain exactly what they mean. A receiver going up and high pointing a football over a defender and making a catch is a football move in my book. Dez performed a number of football moves during that catch but he didn’t complete the process through the ground.
The football move is anything a runner does on purpose.

Football moves:
turning upfield
tucking the ball away
taking additional steps
lunging
reaching for a line of gain

Not football moves:
going up and high-pointing a football over a defender

Only runners make football moves. To say Dez made one is to say he was a runner.