I don't get it millions of young coaches out there with new ideas

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Ah, I can't agree on Ditka, sure he was the head coach of a SB winner, but if you look at the team he had, most of the players were drafted/selected by Neil Armstong but Armstrong was fired before the guys got settled in to the NFL. Also, Buddy Ryan's '46' defense was so dominating, the offense didn't have to do much, Bears defense had 3 fumble recoveries and 2 interceptions in that SB win, Pats were just way over matched.

Add to that Ditka's giving up every New Orleans draft pick for Ricky Williams, and I just don't consider Ditka a great coach. Great player, yes though..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Kellen has been preparing to be an OC since HS

His Dad is a big time HS coach and Kellen played 4 years at Boise under innovating Chris Peterson

Another 4 years in the NFL soaking up knowledge and he is ready to roll

He will be 31 Flavors compared to the Vanilla offense we have been running

We hope so, but just being innovative isn't enough, there has to be reasoning behind new plays, new formations and new attitudes.

But as I've said before, like anybody he'll get, and should get, a chance to show he's up to the job...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The list goes on.

It would be a very short list of great NFL players who became great NFL HC’s.
Curly Lambeau
Norm Van Brocklin
Art Shell
Forrest Gregg
Raymond Berry
Mike Ditka
I wouldn't say Gregg and Berry were great coaches.
Shell? Good but not great.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Semi proven young coaches with new ideas, new looks, new schemes and we keep hiring and promoting ex players some who were never any good. None of us wanted Kellen here as a QB coach and thought that was a joke in itself and now he's gonna be our OC. The whole Garrett calling plays thing while HC never worked out so that shouldn't be considered and if it is you better be prepared for even more gameday, big moment blunders.
You got Marc Columbo who now seems is going to be our offensive lines coach. I have more faith in having T Fred come back to operate the Oline than I do Columbo coaching it. No disrespect to him, it would just be nice to have him as an assistant to the Oline.
I wonder if Will McClay has any say in any of the coaching staff decisions or if he is strictly involved in player personnel because he has turned this team around and quickly into a contender and it seems the only thing lacking and holding us back is our coaching staff and having a bunch of unproven rookie coaches under an unproven, underachieving HC seems like a recipe for disaster. Im just sick and tired of watching a talented young roster being wasted. We did it throughout Romos career and now it looks like we are going to do it all over again.
Not sure I'd rush to judgement just yet on Kellen Moore.

We'll see, but he considered around the league to one of the up and coming young offensive minds.
I have no idea, but we'll see.
Also, I would never equate great player to great coach...very little correlation there.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We hope so, but just being innovative isn't enough, there has to be reasoning behind new plays, new formations and new attitudes.

But as I've said before, like anybody he'll get, and should get, a chance to show he's up to the job...
IMO the whole goal is making it easier on Dak or any QB to run the full offense

Using motion and formations to create mismatches

The new gurus seem to find seams against Man and holes against Zone to overwhelm a D

It always seems like we have to fight for every yard but when you watch other teams they run wide open because of picks and play calling

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sean McVay's resume before getting an OC position:
Kellen Moore's:
Just like Jason Garrett, he did nothing prior to getting the position to earn it.
again, does McVay's resume spell he is a good coach? or a good head coach? he went from tampa to Florida Tucskers (who?), which sounds like a demotion and not working out.

yes, McVay has more coaching experience.

again, like I said, we don't know what Moore has done (as fans). People inside the organization and people in NFL circles know more. His role is yet to be fully defined, given there is obvious concern about play calling on game day, thus Garrett's name has come up. he may end up as the assistant OC responsible for game planning and play design.

for Cowboys' sake I hope he works out

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
again, does McVay's resume spell he is a good coach? or a good head coach? he went from tampa to Florida Tucskers (who?), which sounds like a demotion and not working out.

again, like I said, we don't know what Moore has done (as fans). People inside the organization and people in NFL circles know more. His role is yet to be fully defined, given there is obvious concern about play calling on game day, thus Garrett's name has come up. he may end up as the assistant OC responsible for game planning and play design.

McVay never played quarterback in college or the NFL also, Moore did. Not much in the NFL of course, but a few games still compared to zero for McVay. So the fact that McVay has more NFL coaching experience is tempered a bit by not having actual NFL playing experience...

birdwells1

Reaction score
get over yourselves you DO NOT KNOW MORE THEN ANY Cowboy FO or owner , you just think you do..

These are the people in influential positions with the Cowboys Organization. This is how I feel about them earning their positions.

Earned Owner Jerry Jones: If you got the money then you deserve to own a team.

Unearned General Manager Jerry Jones: Did nothing before to earn a position picking players and just because you've been in the business for 25+ years doesn't mean you know football. Just because you've been a surgical tech for 25+ years doesn't qualify you to do surgery. No other team in the NFL would hire him and that tells you all you need to know.

Unearned Vice President Stephon Jones: Nepotism at it's finest, he wouldn't this position if his daddy didn't own the team. No other team in the NFL would hire him and that tells you all you need to know.

Unearned Head Coach Jason Garrett: He was a qb coach under Saban in Miami for one year then JJ picked him as his "Sean Payton" and made him OC before eventually handing him the HC position without interviewing other candidates. He's been with this organization for 12 years and a head coach for 8.5 years and is now the longest tenured hc not to make the SB.

Unearned QB coach Kellen Moore: I'm not saying that he need to be a great player but let him prove himself as a quality control coach or an assistant wr coach or something. It's not fair to Moore or Prescott to has as little experience guiding our "franchise" qb and now since he's had so much seasoning they're thinking about making him the OC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Semi proven young coaches with new ideas, new looks, new schemes and we keep hiring and promoting ex players some who were never any good. None of us wanted Kellen here as a QB coach and thought that was a joke in itself and now he's gonna be our OC. The whole Garrett calling plays thing while HC never worked out so that shouldn't be considered and if it is you better be prepared for even more gameday, big moment blunders.
You got Marc Columbo who now seems is going to be our offensive lines coach. I have more faith in having T Fred come back to operate the Oline than I do Columbo coaching it. No disrespect to him, it would just be nice to have him as an assistant to the Oline.
I wonder if Will McClay has any say in any of the coaching staff decisions or if he is strictly involved in player personnel because he has turned this team around and quickly into a contender and it seems the only thing lacking and holding us back is our coaching staff and having a bunch of unproven rookie coaches under an unproven, underachieving HC seems like a recipe for disaster. Im just sick and tired of watching a talented young roster being wasted. We did it throughout Romos career and now it looks like we are going to do it all over again.
If you dislike Garrett, then you should welcome the approach to assistants. If they were all-in on Garrett's future they would be more likely to give out a big contract to the best available OC.

Hiring low end guys like Kellen Moore indicates they're not 100% certain that Garrett is going to be here for several more years. Other teams have made similar moves when the HC was retained but his long term future in question.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not sure I'd rush to judgement just yet on Kellen Moore.

We'll see, but he considered around the league to one of the up and coming young offensive minds.
I have no idea, but we'll see.
Also, I would never equate great player to great coach...very little correlation there.

Who besides the Cowboys think this? I'm serious, if you have links I'd like to read them.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I always found it hilarious that we had the dude that got beat out by Dak suddenly coaching Dak up on the sideline.

Like what exactly are you going to tell the guy who beat you out for the QB job?

And now that guy is going to be the OC and calling plays...……………..wow...………...only in Dallas:facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
You do realize a lot of good coaches are former players that couldn’t cut it?

Doug Pederson was a career backup who stunk when he got the chance to play.

He retired, became a HS head coach for a few years. He got a job as a “offensive quality control coordinator” for the Eagles for one season and then became the QB coach for one season...then he was the coordinator. He turned out pretty good.

His experience before becoming a coordinator isn’t far off from Moore’s experience.

I won’t argue that there aren’t better candidates but saying there are “millions of others” more qualified is nonsense. Usually an existing head coaching staff hires people they’re familiar with...don’t expect an outsider.

Also...using a coaches playing career as a way to discredit him from being a coach is absurd.
Great players are notorious for being bad coaches.

birdwells1

Reaction score

I actually like guys that coached at minor league or arena leagues because it gives them a different perspective and also shows that they have a love to coach. We you see a guy coach for the Florida Tuskers or a junior college you know he came up through the ranks and learned from some of these unknown coaches. While I'm here I'd like to add that a coach doesn't just learn from the Parcells and Belichecks of the world they learn from some of these unknown coaches also that's why I like a guy that came through the ranks because they get a little bit of each coaches philosophy and then make their own. JG and KM don't have that experience which makes them limited as coaches.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fans have no clue how good Moore could be. He could fail as OC but he has a similar background and tangebles that helped shape some very successful coaches.
Yeah, one of my buds was complaining about him, and I called 'im on it because Moore is a complete unknown. Unless maybe you're privy to inside info, I guess.

I'm on the other side of this. I'm excited to have a bright young playcaller. I think it's awesome that we finally got away from tired Linehan.

kskboys

Reaction score
I actually like guys that coached at minor league or arena leagues because it gives them a different perspective and also shows that they have a love to coach. We you see a guy coach for the Florida Tuskers or a junior college you know he came up through the ranks and learned from some of these unknown coaches. While I'm here I'd like to add that a coach doesn't just learn from the Parcells and Belichecks of the world they learn from some of these unknown coaches also that's why I like a guy that came through the ranks because they get a little bit of each coaches philosophy and then make their own. JG and KM don't have that experience which makes them limited as coaches.
Possibly. However, on the flip side, if Moore is as smart as purported, maybe he'll be good because he watched Linehan's crapp and saw what DIDN'T work.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You do realize a lot of good coaches are former players that couldn’t cut it?

Doug Pederson was a career backup who stunk when he got the chance to play.

He retired, became a HS head coach for a few years. He got a job as a “offensive quality control coordinator” for the Eagles for one season and then became the QB coach for one season...then he was the coordinator. He turned out pretty good.

His experience before becoming a coordinator isn’t far off from Moore’s experience.

I won’t argue that there aren’t better candidates but saying there are “millions of others” more qualified is nonsense. Usually an existing head coaching staff hires people they’re familiar with...don’t expect an outsider.

Also...using a coaches playing career as a way to discredit him from being a coach is absurd.
So what you are saying is experience is a good thing? Our HC was a HC in training according to our owner. Our QB coach had none, and our OC has none as an OC. Awesome