And
Stephen Peea
Nolan Carroll
Demontre Moore
Byron Bell
Kellen Moore
Jonathan Cooper
Darren McFadden

Plus, bet anyone they lost would have stayed if Dallas had matched the offer....to make it apples/apples
So they would have chosen Dallas if they could have, all else equal

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Why are we just delaying the inevitable? Why wait until June 1 when the entire league knows we are just going to end up releasing?

Besides the cap savings being different if we wait, teams who aren't interested in trading now may change their minds if draft day isn't going as they had hoped.

There's no rush, so why rush it?

Pants

Reaction score
someone said it (or posted it) in another thread, but sit Tony down and say "we want to restructure you so that you have a lower base salary"...that will get teams to think more clearly on Tony (if they didn't have to pay him so much); Tony still essentially gets the same amount of money from Dallas as they could give him the rest in a signing bonus (Dallas is likely gonna absorb the money anyway)...he goes into the season as the backup with a lower salary; then let him act like the backup QB in Dallas...some teams will come a-callin' at some point when their pre-season implodes with no QB...if they don't, we have a terrific 1-2 punch at QB if needed...does anyone else get a warm fuzzy about moore as the backup?? If Tony balks at that, then they do nothing, and he goes into the season as the b/u QB with the current salary

Dallas doesn't owe Tony any "good guy" points...they did that when they paid him a ridiculous amount of money the last two years to NOT play...

...it's a business the last time I checked, treat it like a business...players won't "stop" coming to dallas, nor would they get po'd and leave Dallas because of any romo moves, they would come or stay here for the right cash and a chance to win a SB...

Love Tony, but I am tired of this story...Dallas needs to draw the line in the sand with Tony and the teams potentially wanting to acquire him, not the other way around

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
LOL like the QB they get in the draft can take that team to the Superbowl or even start for a matter of fact.
LOL all you want..... but......
Why do you automatically assume an often injured and old Romo can lead them to a Super Bowl when Tony has had very little playoff success and has never even made it to a NFC Championship game????

I almost think you are trying to convince yourself that Romo has some great value to other teams.

Whether some care to admit it, the "free market" of the NFL has spoken, and it doesn't support Dallas getting anything for Tony.

Denver has said they are pretty much moving on, so that leaves one team, Houston, who said they are not going to bid against themselves for Romo's services when they can just wait for his release.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
LOL all you want..... but......
Why do you automatically assume an often injured and old Romo can lead them to a Super Bowl when Tony has had very little playoff success and has never even made it to a NFC Championship game????

I almost think you are trying to convince yourself that Romo has some great value to other teams.

Whether some care to admit it, the "free market" of the NFL has spoken, and it doesn't support Dallas getting anything for Tony.

Denver has said they are pretty much moving on, so that leaves one team, Houston, who said they are not going to bid against themselves for Romo's services when they can just wait for his release.

Sure all teams are moving on from Romo. Want to bet that if he is released that their will be a host of teams lined up to scoop him up. Especially the Broncos and Texans. This is a game of chicken that is going on now and we hold all the cards. We are not giving Romo away for nothing, book it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
someone said it (or posted it) in another thread, but sit Tony down and say "we want to restructure you so that you have a lower base salary"...that will get teams to think more clearly on Tony (if they didn't have to pay him so much); Tony still essentially gets the same amount of money from Dallas as they could give him the rest in a signing bonus (Dallas is likely gonna absorb the money anyway)...he goes into the season as the backup with a lower salary; then let him act like the backup QB in Dallas...some teams will come a-callin' at some point when their pre-season implodes with no QB...if they don't, we have a terrific 1-2 punch at QB if needed...does anyone else get a warm fuzzy about moore as the backup?? If Tony balks at that, then they do nothing, and he goes into the season as the b/u QB with the current salary

Dallas doesn't owe Tony any "good guy" points...they did that when they paid him a ridiculous amount of money the last two years to NOT play...

...it's a business the last time I checked, treat it like a business...players won't "stop" coming to dallas, nor would they get po'd and leave Dallas because of any romo moves, they would come or stay here for the right cash and a chance to win a SB...

Love Tony, but I am tired of this story...Dallas needs to draw the line in the sand with Tony and the teams potentially wanting to acquire him, not the other way around
:clap:

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I don't have time to go through all 28,000 pages of Romo talk so let me asks this question. What is the cap hit if he retires?

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Doubtful. Teams can already make the trade contingent on a new contract. Why would any team wait for Dallas to renegotiate Tony's contract when they don't have to, and why would any team want Dallas to negotiate Tony's future contract for them?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't have time to go through all 28,000 pages of Romo talk so let me asks this question. What is the cap hit if he retires?
Would be the full $24.7million, the team doesn't get cap relief from a retirement.

Technically, Dallas could go after about $10 million or so in signing bonus, but we all know Jerry is not going to do that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Would be the full $24.7million, the team doesn't get cap relief from a retirement.

Technically, Dallas could go after about $10 million or so in signing bonus, but we all know Jerry is not going to do that.

They could go after $5M and I'd agree in saying Jerry wouldn't.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He lasted 2 games in 2015, then got hurt
Came back in 2015 and was hurt again (not healed yet, imo..was rushed back) in less than 2 games
Came back last year and was hurt in his 2nd preseason game. New injury altogether. L1 compression

If you all would put yourselves in these other teams' shoes you'd see how huge this risk is.

Nothing to do with how good he is when he's healthy. He's outstanding.
But will he be able stay on the field? That's what they're afraid of....and understandably so.

Best chance to get anything is a 2018 conditional pick based on how much he plays in 2017.

Otherwise, we release him and move forward. Maybe use the cap for some extra help on D.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Sure all teams are moving on from Romo. Want to bet that if he is released that their will be a host of teams lined up to scoop him up. Especially the Broncos and Texans. This is a game of chicken that is going on now and we hold all the cards. We are not giving Romo away for nothing, book it.
No offense intended, but IMHO you are seriously overestimating Romo's value to other teams for the reasons I posted in the post you respond to.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My last hope to get something for him is on draft day. Maybe switch picks with Houston and swapping our 4th with their 3rd or something.

Dallas gets Houston's #1 and 3 or 4th rounder
Houston gets our first pick and our 4th or 5th pick

A man can dream right? :laugh:

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
You really think the Texans fan base (expecting a super bowl run) will buy into Savage, Weeden and a rook at QB?
Apparently that's the case. If they thought as highly of Tony's skills/durability they wouldn't risk another team outbidding them and would have made a trade by now, right?

It's a risk they are willing to take if they are waiting for Romo's release.