I feel that D Ware is going to blow up big time this year

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
cowboys#1 said:
:eek:hboy:i feel this guy is gonna blow up big time this year.... heard he has been hitting the weights pretty hard.
I have been watching the games from last year (Tivo+NFL Shortcuts = Happiness) and I was just blown away by how many big plays Ware made last year. To think that the kid can only get better, he was still adjusting to the 3-4, is just mind boggling.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
zrinkill said:
:rolleyes: Mr. Negative strikes again .............. all our players suck blah blah blah

:lmao2:

He's right though. Ware's inside move is garbage. He's got a pretty good outside move, but tends to get to far behind the qb, but his inside move is horrible.

WarC

Reaction score
Yeah you frickin' homers :banghead: , if you looked at it objectively you'd notice most of Ware's big plays were in the first half of the season...He blew up a bunch of preseason games and got everyone excited. He made some key plays early on like sacking McFlabb when it counted, but his production slowed way down once teams took notice of him as a threat instead of "another" rookie.

This guy could slump this season for all we know. Every team we play will have a season's worth of tape on Ware to see the weak spots in his game. They'll put two heads on him if they have too, and they will find ways to keep Ware from doing what he does best- running around the edge. It takes more than one year to convince me of a player's consistency!

In the deep recesses of whats left of my heart, I do wish that Ware and the rest of the Cowboys will dominate all before them. Mwuhahaha!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Ware got FAR more quarterback pressures, tackles for loss and tackles during the second half of the season than he did in the first half. But because he got a few sacks (but not much else) early in the season and then went a while without any, some people thought he was playing worse. But the opposite was true -- he was playing much better and was much more effective as the season went on, he just wasn't getting the sacks until the Carolina game. Sacks are an extremely rare occurrance for a player (12 sacks out of 550 pass plays makes you a "great" pass-rusher) and hardly are the only measure of how well a player is playing.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Ware got FAR more quarterback pressures, tackles for loss and tackles during the second half of the season than he did in the first half. But because he got a few sacks (but not much else) early in the season and then went a while without any, some people thought he was playing worse. But the opposite was true -- he was playing much better and was much more effective as the season went on, he just wasn't getting the sacks until the Carolina game. Sacks are an extremely rare occurrance for a player (12 sacks out of 550 pass plays makes you a "great" pass-rusher) and hardly are the only measure of how well a player is playing.

Nice !!!:) Well put

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Well, I think that about ended that discussion.

50cent

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Yeah, but he sucked against the run Adam.

dcboy

Reaction score
I agree that he does need to develop more moves, but I think that will come. I was impressed with his play all year, although I was sometimes frustrated to see him run too far upfield. I remember Strahan explaining how to start the rush by exploding upfield and then attacking whatever area the tackle left open and hoping someone would teach Ware to do this. Hopefully Osi Umora, who is good friends with Ware is willing to share some of what Strahan taught him.
The fact that he was double teamed means a lot about his play. If he wasn't playing well towards the end of the year, teams would have stopped doubling him. Honestly, I think our d was far from a prototypical 3-4 last year. A good 3-4 brings the blitz from any of the lb spots, but when it was time to rush, teams knew that 94 was very likely to be the guy coming. Ours was more like a 4-3 with different spacing. Next year, with more talent at lb, we can expect the blitz to come from either side or the middle which is why I think Adoyle is playing in the middle.
Sacks are one way to guage a d end/olb's impact on a game, but are not the only thing that determines if he plays well. 94 is far from a bust regardless of if he got those last three sacks or not.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Why does a Outside Pass Rushing Linebacker need to be 260 lbs?

Our Inside Linebackers don't even weigh that much.

Hiero

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Why does a Outside Pass Rushing Linebacker need to be 260 lbs?

Our Inside Linebackers don't even weigh that much.
taking on the left tackle, like Ware did so often this year.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

I dont see how you can say that. I dont think Ware played bad at any point in the season but where he was drafted, pressures arent the only measure of his success. He's expected to get sacks. Considering thats his job as a speed pass rushing OLB.

To me ware was more disruptive early in the season before teams realized he was a one trick pony.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hiero said:
taking on the left tackle, like Ware did so often this year.

Haley didn't weigh that much and he was a DE.

I just hope it doesn't take any speed or quickness away

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
50cent said:
Yeah, but he ****ed against the run Adam.

I disagree. He had 10 tackles for loss -- all against the run. That's a HUGE number. He struggled against the run at times, mostly early in the season, but he was playing pretty well against the run late in the season and, as I just said, made a ton of tackles for loss.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
I dont see how you can say that.

I can say it because it's true.

I dont think Ware played bad at any point in the season but where he was drafted, pressures arent the only measure of his success.

Nobody ever said they were.

He's expected to get sacks.

He did get sacks.

Considering thats his job as a speed pass rushing OLB.

That's ONE of his jobs as a weakside linebacker.

To me ware was more disruptive early in the season before teams realized he was a one trick pony.

Like I said, that perception is wrong. He was much more disruptive later in the season.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw Merriman playing on the week side when he made those 2 sacks and tons of pressure against Peyton Manning. We need to move Ware to the weak side. Or was it the strong side. I'm confused....:(

50cent

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
I disagree. He had 10 tackles for loss -- all against the run. That's a HUGE number. He struggled against the run at times, mostly early in the season, but he was playing pretty well against the run late in the season and, as I just said, made a ton of tackles for loss.
I was joking when I said that Adam. I made an statement that the Boys maybe planning to move Ware to SOLB, after the asked him to bulk up to 260. Some said he sucked against the run last season, so a move would not make sense. I stated that I could not recall one single team just abusing Ware because of his weak run stopping ability. Thats where my remarks came from. We currently don't have an OLB that is big or strong enough to play SOLB, so I won't be surprised if we move Ware to SOLB hoping when can draft a bigger OLB so that Ware can stay at WOLB. Although if we try and get Lawson, I fully expect Ware to be moved to SOLB.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I could have sworn I saw Merriman playing on the week side when he made those 2 sacks and tons of pressure against Peyton Manning. We need to move Ware to the weak side. Or was it the strong side. I'm confused....:(

They lined him up different places.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
50cent said:
I was joking when I said that Adam. I made an statement that the Boys maybe planning to move Ware to SOLB, after the asked him to bulk up to 260. Some said he sucked against the run last season, so a move would not make sense. I stated that I could not recall one single team just abusing Ware because of his weak run stopping ability. Thats where my remarks came from. We currently don't have an OLB that is big or strong enough to play SOLB, so I won't be surprised if we move Ware to SOLB hoping when can draft a bigger OLB so that Ware can stay at WOLB. Although if we try and get Lawson, I fully expect Ware to be moved to SOLB.

Nobody said that he sucked against the run. What was said was that he was not "great" against the run

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
I can say it because it's true.

Of course it is, youre Adam

Nobody ever said they were.

You just did

He did get sacks.

Yes he did, so did Terrance Newman. For a guy drafted where he was with the duties that he's been assigned, 8 sacks arent going to meet expectations.

That's ONE of his jobs as a weakside linebacker.

Thats his main responsibility. He rushes the passer probably 90% of the time. Lets dont muddy the water with all these other jobs he has. He was drafted to rush the passer.

Like I said, that perception is wrong. He was much more disruptive later in the season.

I disagree. He was drafted to be a playmaker. He was a playmaer early and dissapeard for games at a time as the season went on.

50cent

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Nobody said that he sucked against the run. What was said was that he was not "great" against the run
We can't have great at every position or every aspect of our players games. It was said that he struggled vs. the run. I disagree, he made containment mistakes early on, but corrected those. He then played very well vs the run the rest of the year outside of the KC game. Although KC destroyed everybody with their run game. Adam posted he had 10 tackles for lose in the run game. To me, thats not struggling. Thats playing exceptional in my book when you take into consideration we never run blitzed him. Can someone please name a member on the Dallas Cowboys team that is fitted to play SOLB better than Ware right now?