I find myself becoming less tolerant of others. How about you?

Proximo

Reaction score
I've found that society has changed and I'm not sure I like what I see. Etiquette and common courtesy has gone out the window.
  • When i was growing up, if someone let you cut in front of them in traffic, you put your hand up and waved thanks. You used your blinker and showed common respect
  • You don't lean on other people's cars. This happens to me all the time. Get off my car mfker
  • If there's plenty of parking spots, don't park next to someone. This is like using a urinal next to someone when there are 5 other ones open
  • Control your children in public
  • Don't talk during movies at least keep it to a minimal
  • In the gym, if you see someone's bag or stuff next to a bench, chances are they are getting water and will be right back. Give people space
  • Don't stare at people unless you wanna get punched
  • If you bump into someone at the bar or club say I'm sorry
You're not being grumpy, society has decayed. There used to be more class and decorum. It's the "do what I want, don't judge me" age.

Agree with this post very much.

Especially the very last sentence.

In my very humble opinion, part of the problem is that much of the younger generation (which I am part of), seems to embrace this mindset of "be happy with just the way you are", and "if people don't like the way you are, it's their problem"....and I think these philosophies are implemented the WRONG way by many and we end up with a bunch of lazy, selfish people who are proud to be that way and have no desire to acknowledge their faults or invest time/energy into improving themselves (whether it be physical improvement, such as going to the gym for example. Or taking up a hobby that doesn't involve using a "smart" device).

I notice this a lot in the workforce. I work in a setting that houses upwards of a thousand employees if not more. When you sit back and look around, you see how so many of these folks have zero self awareness, are completely self absorbed, and lack work ethic. It's very easy to overhear conversations (almost impossible not to), and the main thing I notice is that when these people are having personal conversations, they're not really "conversations"...these people literally just take turns talking AT each other about themselves. It's bizarre. No exchange of real thoughts/ideas at all.

And I don't mean to generalize...as I know that obviously not everyone falls into this category.

In my personal life I've been very fortunate to come across a nice handful of legitimately "good", hard working people that I've maintained close friendships with for 10+ years. The more time passes, the more I value those people because I realize how truly rare it's becoming.

End rant.

Last edited:

timb2

Reaction score
Over the last couple years I've found myself being less tolerant of others– especially when I'm out & about. I have found myself fighting the urge to say things to others that wouldn't be typical for me.

I dunno... Is it old-age? Is it because over the last 15 years I've worked by myself?

I don't like the look. I don't want the urge.

Anyone else experience anything like that?

I guess getting older I side more with the old man with "Get off my Lawn"!!!! and "It's my baseball now it's in my yard"" now then siding as the little boy who use to hear this all the time.. Man I better get happier in life than that.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I guess getting older I side more with the old man with "Get off my Lawn"!!!! and "It's my baseball now it's in my yard"" now then siding as the little boy who use to hear this all the time.. Man I better get happier in life than that.

Man! That's pretty hilarious as about the first year after I'd bought my place I was noticing not just baseballs in my yard but all kinds of round balls,,, ha,was a couple of Hispanic boys about 9 and 10 living across the street losing them over my fence,I told them to open the gate and go get it next time,,, their good boys,I'd call them over some times when if I'd pull up with a half a pizza, for a slice, I took a PS2 and a garbage bag full of about $300 in games to GameStop, they offered me $37.50,,, ha,ha,ha! Told 'em to pound sand, went home and gave it to them boys,,, their dad said they played and traded those games for about a whole year.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Man! That's pretty hilarious as about the first year after I'd bought my place I was noticing not just baseballs in my yard but all kinds of round balls,,, ha,was a couple of Hispanic boys about 9 and 10 living across the street losing them over my fence,I told them to open the gate and go get it next time,,, their good boys,I'd call them over some times when if I'd pull up with a half a pizza, for a slice, I took a PS2 and a garbage bag full of about $300 in games to GameStop, they offered me $37.50,,, ha,ha,ha! Told 'em to pound sand, went home and gave it to them boys,,, their dad said they played and traded those games for about a whole year.
That's amazing stuff, Melon. You're a good man, brother. :bow:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
What I see more than anything else is the total lack of respect for authority. I had to stop by my grandsons high school the other day and witnessed a 15 year girl screaming at a counselor to xXxX off and when another school person tried to intervene, she said the same thing. I could only imagine if I did that in school to my principal. There is no fear for any consequences. My principal would have told me to grab my knees, my coach would have had be grab my knees and my dad would have beat 5he crap out of me when I got home. Kids today have no fear. If any teacher were to get in their face som9eone would post it in the internet as a video and the school would be sued. And these little twits are going to be leading the country in 20 years. God help us.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As I get older, good customer service is paramount to me.

I literally just left a scene 30 minutes ago at a restaurant cursing out the cashier because his tone and attitude were crap. Dude refused to give me his name, lol.

Passepartout

Reaction score
It is not easy being nice. Believe me. As really you have to. My faith says to always be kind to others. Even when it is not easy. It is easy to be nice to others. That are nice. But to those that are not nice. It is just the right thing to do.
Used to want to punch out someone that was mean. Not just to me but others as well. But at times, you just have to do it as it is the right thing and nice thing to do. In the end, who knows they might change you can only hope.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
What I see more than anything else is the total lack of respect for authority. I had to stop by my grandsons high school the other day and witnessed a 15 year girl screaming at a counselor to xXxX off and when another school person tried to intervene, she said the same thing. I could only imagine if I did that in school to my principal. There is no fear for any consequences. My principal would have told me to grab my knees, my coach would have had be grab my knees and my dad would have beat 5he crap out of me when I got home. Kids today have no fear. If any teacher were to get in their face som9eone would post it in the internet as a video and the school would be sued. And these little twits are going to be leading the country in 20 years. God help us.
Sheese! Tell me about it,,, I had a state trooper living 5 miles down the road he'd nark me out to dad after giving me ticket(s),,, my dad would be up and ready when I hit the door to take my hot rod race car keys away from me again,plus the grounding and thumping dad would hand out

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Bad waiters and waitresses try my patience. Not near as nice or patient as I used to be. People in the drive thru that take forever to decide what they want. Come on people, Mcdonalds hasnt changed their menu in 25 years. People that place more than one order thru a drive thru. Seriously? cant you call that in. I am a real estate appraiser and go into peoples houses all the time. I dont know your dog and your dog doesnt know me. I know they are nice and all and would never bite. But I have gotten bit three times by dogs that were nice and would never bite. I dont think I ever walk into Lowes or Home Depot and find a worker willing to help me find something, if I can find the worker. I live on a corner in a subdv. I dont want your dogs poop in my yard. And if you pick it up I dont want it in my garbage can.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Over the last couple years I've found myself being less tolerant of others– especially when I'm out & about. I have found myself fighting the urge to say things to others that wouldn't be typical for me.

I dunno... Is it old-age? Is it because over the last 15 years I've worked by myself?

Have you been praying for patience? perhaps God is testing you? :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you been praying for patience? perhaps God is testing you? :)

I've been doing better lately.

Not that I've ever been a "fly off the handle" type.

But I have concentrated more on not letting the stupid things others do bug me... I know I can't change them, nor do I want the angst I have with them to last longer than it should (which shouldn't be any more than few seconds– Any more than that and I feel I've lost).

robbieruff

Reaction score

But I have concentrated more on not letting the stupid things others do bug me... I know I can't change them, nor do I want the angst I have with them to last longer than it should (which shouldn't be any more than few seconds– Any more than that and I feel I've lost).
I hear ya...frankly, I think part of it may be us/you/ourselves and I think, frankly, it's a normal response to societal factors that have devolved over the past decade plus. People are generally more vulgar and crass it seems to me than ever before. Having manners just really isn't a thing as much anymore and it gets pretty disgraceful sometimes. Not sure if it's the digital age or whatever but there's just a lack of attentiveness that permeates so much of what we experience nowadays...and a blatant callousness that goes with it. I know that I usually make it a point to hold the door for people when coming in or out of a business or residence. Just something I was taught to do as a kid and it carries to this day. I can't tell you how REGULARLY people walk right through it never breaking from whatever they're doing (talking/texting/etc.) to acknowledge the courtesy. I often bellow out a hardy and friendly (smiling all the way) "you're welcome!" and take some mild pleasure in their stunned look and sheepish expressions.

So...bottom line...I wouldn't put all of this on yourself...there are definitely external forces at play here that contribute to your experience.

Melonfeud

Reaction score

Your last statement that's in the parentheses is pretty telling, Michael ,were I compiling a psychological profile on youo_O
:lmao:

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your last statement that's in the parentheses is pretty telling, Michael ,were I compiling a psychological profile on youo_O
:lmao:

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

I neither want to become totally oblivious to what's going on around me nor do I want to be so emotionally involved that it ruins my day. We all see/hear the stories concerning road rage and someone shooting another person simply because one person felt the other disrespected them. What a way to quickly destroy several lives at once.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

It's a common syndrome.

As we move up the employment ladder in youth through middle age, it's apparent that social graces and optimism are beneficial, even protective.
For excellent customer service and employee relations to flourish, a bit of butt kissing and turning the other cheek is inevitable.

Somewhere near the age of 60 we start to lose our filters and self-imposed restraints because we realize that we are firmly entrenched on the downhill side of life, and our level of tolerance and empathy and forgiveness naturally fades. We find those previously important attributes to be superfluous, and we start to not care so much about hiding true feelings, even if socially unacceptable.

Some even get down right depressed and angry, as they see their own skills and worth declining, especially those who are accustomed to a very high level of productivity; I treat this routinely.

Bottom line, you can probably get away with saying or doing what you want, using the excuse of being old and crotchety. I just hope we can all find peace and happiness in our later years, instead of the frustration and misery that may come with aging.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Life is too short to waste on stupid people. There are ALOT of stupid people walking around.