I got punched!

urface59

Reaction score
Whether it was a d bag prank or not (and i think it was), its quite honestly pathetic that so many of you applaud the mans violence over this and even go so far as to brag about how you would have done the same.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
urface59;3999143 said:
Whether it was a d bag prank or not (and i think it was), its quite honestly pathetic that so many of you applaud the mans violence over this and even go so far as to brag about how you would have done the same.

Don't make me kick your knee in! :laugh2:

hairic

Reaction score
Idgit;3998811 said:
It's not a free speech issue. Actually farting on someone can be considered harassment, and even assault.

Of course it's not a "free speech" issue, that only applies to protection from government, which is run on a whole different standard. I wasn't even referring to that. When speech is between two people it's more about property rights, torts, and crime. When not on your own property, it's illegal to stop another from expressing themselves unless it's in defense of yourself or others: they aren't your property to control.

As far as torts, you are correct that they could apply, but they weren't there in this case. Harassment, no. Assault, never ruled that way for a fart before, especially a fake one, not even when people fart near cops. He stopped after he knew those people no longer consented. If he had continued, then harassment would have been obvious.

For farting to ever be considered assault, you'll have to prove that flatulence has the potential to cause harm/damage. Other facets of the act of farting near people could be assault, though. If someone sprinted towards someone in a threatening manner, then stopped and farted, I'm not gonna dispute that, but the fart wasn't the assault.

A note about gases, other than a sick person intentionally coughing on people, the only gas coming out of humans to get that assault/battery distinction is second hand smoke, and that case revolved around stuff like particle size being shown to be larger than other gases/large enough to cause damage. I don't even think the evidence supports that case well anymore, but I may not be recalling the research correctly.

And I don't buy your argument that there's no point trying to determine what 'disrespect' is. This was disrespectful.
And I won't accept any arguments about appeals to what a majority considers respectful, because majority opinion isn't always right. I was just preempting the fallacious claim.

I also said nothing about farting not being disrespectul, just that being disrespected isn't justification to initiate violence.

We've officially left the realm of realistic discussion.
Obviously. Since when do people think that everything a person says and does isn't them expressing themselves? If it isn't them creating that speech, who/what is?

:laugh2:

If by civil you mean farting in someone's face and pretending that respect is some ambiguous concept, I'll gladly say bye-bye.
Strawman. I made no comment on the virtue of allowing farts when near others, only that a violent society would develop from allowing violence for basically any reason (variable standards of disrespect). But yes, I'll nut up and make the bold claim that allowing people to fart near others is more civil than allowing people to initiate violence for any reason.

And respect is very much ambiguous and constantly changing. It used to be disrespectful for blacks to make eye contact with whites, now it could be considered disrespectful if they don't (but applies for all people that just ignore you, really). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterquilinus Would it have been disrespectful to not smell of feces when worshipping that Roman god? I don't know, and am honestly interested.

Silly me.

And here I thought a civil society was one in which people showed respect to one another.
Not initiating violence in response to a non-violent/non-damaging act is showing respect for other's property rights in their person.

Well in all fairness, I was going to shart in your lunch and hide behind my right to free expression. I mean I think what you eat is really just gross and that's just my way of expressing myself. Can't you respect that?
That's just ridiculous. Do you honestly not recognize the difference between not touching someone while fake farting near them, versus touching their stuff so you can ruin said stuff? There are multiple infringements on property here that didn't occur in the case being discussed.

The case:
1) Nothing was touched.
2) Nothing was damaged.

Your strawman:
1) Property was touched.
2) Property received actual damage.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
urface59;3999143 said:

...some things just don't go tolerated when it's obvious that someone is being disrespectful to someone who is also obviously an elderly, handicapped women who also happens to be his wife.

In my view, that's what's wrong with American today and our citizenry--afraid to fight for anything anymore.

Panzies.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3999046 said:
What part of common decency throws fists first and asks questions later?

Seriously, the guy walked to him told him it was a joke. The old man wouldn't listen and then after being told again that it was a joke the guy starts swinging.

Hell, what part of common decency swings on a man walking away like that?

You don't get it....

Some do and some don't.

I get that.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
hairic;3999147 said:
Not initiating violence in response to a non-violent/non-damaging act is showing respect for other's property rights in their person.

I never stated otherwise.

In fact, I haven't commented on the husband's use of physical force. Any argument that suggests I have is tantamount to strawman-making. I'm merely preempting that fallacious claim.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I get why the old guy did what he did. I might not have went to the degree of assault on the young punk, but I PROMISE I would have made him feel the *** that he was before I was through. I might even have provoked a punch from the db first. I have a certain knack for getting under your skin once irritated.

I would have then looked around for nyc and Rynie because I would have had at least half a can left to give out. :eek:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3999176 said:
I would have then looked around for nyc and Rynie because I would have had at least half a can left to give out. :eek:

I would kick your knee in *****! :laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
nyc;3999178 said:
I would kick your knee in *****! :laugh2:

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

urface59

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3999155 said:
...some things just don't go tolerated when it's obvious that someone is being disrespectful to someone who is also obviously an elderly, handicapped women who also happens to be his wife.

In my view, that's what's wrong with American today and our citizenry--afraid to fight for anything anymore.

Panzies.

It all makes sense now, we just need more assault in our country to fix everything.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
nyc;3999053 said:
Nahh, I've got to disagree here. If the guy farted right up on someone and walked away. He would deserve to be hit, but the fact that he made it clear that it was only a joke and was messing around should have been enough to stay his hand. Now if he kept messing with him, then I would say otherwise.

If you son did that to you would you hit him even though you knew he was using a fart machine or something? No.

I would have held my temper in check after letting him know in no uncertain terms that this was not acceptable, joke or no joke. Depending on his response and attitude of course. But I'm not that older gentleman. Maybe he had seen his wife disrespected or taken advantage of too many times already that day. Maybe the D-bag got the pent up frustrations of a man tired of watching people cut his wife off in line or any number of ways people can be rude and inconsiderate to disabled people.

The point is... The D-bag played with fire and he got burned.

Comparing someone familiar to a stranger is a bad analogy. My friends get away with stuff no stranger ever would.

Would you encourage your son to do what the D-bag was doing?

I can't blame the guy for unloading on the D-bag and if the D-bag hadn't tried to use his disabled wife as a puppet to gain some exposure he wouldn't have gotten decked.

Just filming them without thier knowledge is classless.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
hairic;3999147 said:
Strawman. I made no comment on the virtue of allowing farts when near others, only that a violent society would develop from allowing violence for basically any reason (variable standards of disrespect). But yes, I'll nut up and make the bold claim that allowing people to fart near others is more civil than allowing people to initiate violence for any reason.

And respect is very much ambiguous and constantly changing. It used to be disrespectful for blacks to make eye contact with whites, now it could be considered disrespectful if they don't (but applies for all people that just ignore you, really). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterquilinus Would it have been disrespectful to not smell of feces when worshipping that Roman god? I don't know, and am honestly interested.

Prettily written, to be sure, but wrong none the less. You likened this very topic and the reactions contained in it to the question of free speech. It's nothing of the sort and pretty silly, really. Farting, in someone's face or not, is not freedom of speech, and being punched for doing so isn't having your freedom of speech oppressed. It's ludicrous to even argue that. In fact if anything could act as a measuring stick for a society's level of degradation, it would be the lack of common courtesy for another person rather than the persons natural reaction to be treating as the butt of a crude joke. You got it twisted mate.

And there are all sorts of levels of respect and you can't pretend they are all equal. Most notably by using outdated errors of humanity. I'm pretty sure most any normal society would like to think they can get past former errors without using them to validate horrid behavior today. I'm certain that could be described as running in place.

I have no clue what you're referring to with that Roman God thing and link. I'd never heard of it.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Dallas;3999176 said:
I get why the old guy did what he did. I might not have went to the degree of assault on the young punk, but I PROMISE I would have made him feel the *** that he was before I was through. I might even have provoked a punch from the db first. I have a certain knack for getting under your skin once irritated.

:gassy1:

Oh, hello, Dallas.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Vtwin;3999169 said:
You don't get it....

Some do and some don't.

I get that.

There's nothing to get. You'll excuse what almost amounts to a sucker punch because the guy was too upset to listen and just went off on a guy who he thought farted too close to he and his wife.