I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the Jason Garrett show years ago Garret was asked about a defensive pick they'd made. His answer was, "You can give Marinelli credit for that. We just give that guy whomever he wants." I'm sure things have changed since then, but I guarantee you guys he still has major input in the war room.

So yes the players he goes after, the scheme he runs, his ideology, all are just bad. He really needs to go in my opinion.

Careful. Sharing truth like that will cause some to come at you with their claws out.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
On the Jason Garrett show years ago Garret was asked about a defensive pick they'd made. His answer was, "You can give Marinelli credit for that. We just give that guy whomever he wants." I'm sure things have changed since then, but I guarantee you guys he still has major input in the war room.

So yes the players he goes after, the scheme he runs, his ideology, all are just bad. He really needs to go in my opinion.

You would think that watching his defense get torched in 3 playoff games would be enough. But no, this year will be different.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Don’t worry folks...I knew this day would come. Made provisions for plenty of seats and snacks on a charter flight to get off this Rod train to nowhere.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
If nothing else , isn't it obvious that Marinelli has pretty much zero chance at beating Rodgers/Green Bay ? How many times are you going to try the same stupid non-plan "plan" , and when you continue to come up empty , you talk about going back to the drawing board with the same cast of characters ?

pitt33

Reaction score
You would think that watching his defense get torched in 3 playoff games would be enough. But no, this year will be different.
Marinelli is the sole reason this team has been ousted in the post season. It’s a crime they still have this clown on the coaching staff.

I still can’t get past his 0-16 campaign with the Lions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If nothing else , isn't it obvious that Marinelli has pretty much zero chance at beating Rodgers/Green Bay ? How many times are you going to try the same stupid non-plan "plan" , and when you continue to come up empty , you talk about going back to the drawing board with the same cast of characters ?

Well in his small defense......Rodgers has destroyed DC's much better than Maranelli.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Well in his small defense......Rodgers has destroyed DC's much better than Maranelli.

Agreed....................But the point is getting over the hump............Sticking with someone who is a hump isn't the answer..............................

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Garrett is full of it. Maranelli isn't doing the scouting.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed....................But the point is getting over the hump............Sticking with someone who is a hump isn't the answer..............................

Well when it come to beating Rodgers......that's going to have to come from Dak and co. You just have to assume a quarterback the caliber of Rodgers is going to do his job. Its up to our offense to do their's.

Haimerej

Reaction score
How is that? 6 sacks and some homer's wishful thinking? Fail again.

Six sacks in 5 games is a pretty good pace and better than his totals the last few years. Why is that a fail? Is that your idea of factual rebuttal?

Start with your "just a coach" comments and claims he doesn't have say over who this team is drafting. I guess you tell so many lies you lose track?

I assume your strategy here is to keep misquoting while trying to bury the evidence with silly insult games. I'm not arguing with your fantasies.

The part where your actions defy your words. Where you reply again and again and again to someone you "don't take seriously". Hypocrite.

Am I not supposed to talk to you if I don't take you seriously? Not seeing how I'm being a hypocrite here.

At least yours would them have merit. But you jumped into this thread, trying to scold people and undermine the message and the only has thing you succeeded in doing was playing the part of the fool.

Slow down there. You're getting a little sloppy with the typos. I like how you feel I was scolding you. Sort of puts me in a position of authority. I thought I was just talking to CC about Marinelli actually being a good football coach. You were triggered so bad you jumped in and started namecalling and seeing arguments that were never made. It's ok because...

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Well when it come to beating Rodgers......that's going to have to come from Dak and co. You just have to assume a quarterback the caliber of Rodgers is going to do his job. Its up to our offense to do their's.

Kansas City was missing 3 defensive starters , never mind MVP Mahomes , and gave the Packers and Rodgers a tougher game than we did along with 3 less points..........I simply don't view that as acceptable . An extremely poor defensive performance against a playoff caliber team ; how often have we heard that refrain ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Kansas City was missing 3 defensive starters , never mind MVP Mahomes , and gave the Packers and Rodgers a tougher game than we did along with 3 less points..........I simply don't view that as acceptable . An extremely poor defensive performance against a playoff caliber team ; how often have we heard that refrain ?

Chiefs got Rodgers on one of his off days. Cowboys beat the Packers in 2016 just to lose to them when it matters.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Marinelli is the sole reason this team has been ousted in the post season. It’s a crime they still have this clown on the coaching staff.

I still can’t get past his 0-16 campaign with the Lions.

Yep, I'm still amazed that he was able to retain his job after a one legged Aaron Rodgers beat his prevent defense.

Verdict

Reaction score
After reflecting on yesterday's Jamal Adams trade deadline scramble, several things occurred to me.
  1. The idea that the Cowboys were willing to give up next year's 1st rounder as well as a 4th or 5th rounder for a safety represents a huge shift in prior thinking going back to the draft, when they passed on Juan Thornhill for everyone's favorite gameday inactive, Trysten Hill.
  2. Tyrone Crawford - after a poor start - is now on IR, along with the $10 million that the decision to keep him cost this team. His Cowboys career and NFL career entirely, likely over. And yet we heard and continue to hear how "valuable" and irreplaceable the guy was? Meanwhile, the defensive line continues to perform better when the guy isn't on the field?
  3. Taco Charlton. Exactly how many 2017 1st round picks have been released to this point without suspensions or injury being the reason? And again, who was it that overruled the scouts on draft day to draft Taco over TJ Watt.
With every one of these moves, and counter-moves needed as a result, I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli. I connect every one of this team's biggest faults, failings, and issues directly to decisions he was instrumental in making. And those are just the 'big three". We can also look at all of the disappointments that have come and go during his time here as well, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, and plenty more.

I've simply had it with the guy and he's gone from being a top defensive line coach to a serious liability for this organization. They need to stop looking at the distant past and look at what this guy is doing now, and has done over the past several years here. Don't tell me about "Tampa and Chicago", tell me about "Dallas", that's the team I care about.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin before him, this guy needs to go.

It’s hard to argue with any of that. Anyone who is hung up on Watt being a bad fit is fooling themselves. We flat missed that one.

I am ready for Marinelli to go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s hard to argue with any of that. Anyone who is hung up on Watt being a bad fit is fooling themselves. We flat missed that one.

I am ready for Marinelli to go.

The scheme fit thing is just a lame, excuse attempt to sugar coat a miss of epic proportions.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The Marinelli scheme is the worst kept secret in the NFL. Our DTs slant to the outside and the RB runs through the Panama Canal. Heck the RT won't even try to block our DE because our DT just flushed them out of the play. Next play our DT shoots the wrong gap and the RB blows right by. Some of those holes the Rams and Packers ran through were 5yds wide. And Rod isn't the guy to go back to the drawing board and change the system. We definitely need a new defensive coach with a new philosophy.