I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli

Kaiser

Reaction score
That stellar group of folks that haven't won anything in 2 decades.

1 - that's a tangent. The discussion is on Tyrone Crawford and whether Internet rants mean anything.

2 - Its actually a different group of folks than 20 years ago, but who is counting.

3 - They have only had one losing season since Crawford joined the team and that was purely on Romo getting hurt. By "haven't won anything" you mean haven't won a Super Bowl. I'm sure before that you said they would never go to the playoffs and before that they would never have a winning record.

I'll take those stellar folks who actually know the game over people just looking to complain.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
“They just kind of did what they do. They do it every single week." - Sam Darnold talking about Dallas' defense (checkers)

"I'm seeing ghosts." - Sam Darnold a week later talking about the Patriots' defense (chess)

Yesterday's pursuit of Adams was the icing on the cake. I'd fire Rod today. He's not the key to winning anything of significance.
Lmao. Those two quotes sum up the difference between the two schemes so perfectly.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Just an example of the contrast between two Front Offices in the NFL
and how they value solid coaching.

In week 14 of the 2012 season, the Ravens fired their OC, Cam Cameron, despite a 9-4 record.
The team moved Jim Caldwell into the OC position and went on to win the Super Bowl.
(Side note; in a classy move, the Ravens gave Cameron a SB ring)

By contrast, Dallas gave up 280 yards rushing against the Rams in a playoff game and
their DC is still here. Not to mention, he's passing off his game day responsibility to
the "passing game coordinator".

Somewhere in the NFL, there's a defensive position coach that is ready to be the next talented
DC in the league. Odds are he's not in Dallas.

Blackrain

Reaction score
After reflecting on yesterday's Jamal Adams trade deadline scramble, several things occurred to me.
  1. The idea that the Cowboys were willing to give up next year's 1st rounder as well as a 4th or 5th rounder for a safety represents a huge shift in prior thinking going back to the draft, when they passed on Juan Thornhill for everyone's favorite gameday inactive, Trysten Hill.
  2. Tyrone Crawford - after a poor start - is now on IR, along with the $10 million that the decision to keep him cost this team. His Cowboys career and NFL career entirely, likely over. And yet we heard and continue to hear how "valuable" and irreplaceable the guy was? Meanwhile, the defensive line continues to perform better when the guy isn't on the field?
  3. Taco Charlton. Exactly how many 2017 1st round picks have been released to this point without suspensions or injury being the reason? And again, who was it that overruled the scouts on draft day to draft Taco over TJ Watt.
With every one of these moves, and counter-moves needed as a result, I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli. I connect every one of this team's biggest faults, failings, and issues directly to decisions he was instrumental in making. And those are just the 'big three". We can also look at all of the disappointments that have come and go during his time here as well, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, and plenty more.

I've simply had it with the guy and he's gone from being a top defensive line coach to a serious liability for this organization. They need to stop looking at the distant past and look at what this guy is doing now, and has done over the past several years here. Don't tell me about "Tampa and Chicago", tell me about "Dallas", that's the team I care about.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin before him, this guy needs to go.

Great post Stash , was a Rod fan at one time but the game has quickly passed him by . Its a shame but this guy is a liability that is killing us, especially in big games .

Our defensive philosophy has not made sense to me for years . We trade up for Mostly injured Claiborn when we could have traded up for Dontari Poe and solidified our line for years . Not many athletic Run Stoppers on the planet but we need to dedicate a high pick to a sure one if we ever expect to get past one playoff win in a season .

This method of continually drafting Dline that for whatever reasons can not get on the field and help us is closing the window on our opportunity to advance in the playoffs faster than an Arctic blast .
What successful team wastes D line picks like we do then goes to the scrap pile and starts a bunch of reclamation projects with any consistency.

Bottom Line must make better use of our Dline picks this is top 3 in our biggest problems holding us back

HungryLion

Reaction score
Rod Marinelli’s defense only works against good teams, under one of two conditions:

1. The offense scores a bunch of points, making the Other team one dimensional and forcing them to go pass heavy.

2. If the defense forces a lot of turnovers.

Rod’s defense can’t stop the run worth crap against a team with a good offensive line that is committed to power running.

it’s also a problem because our defense doesn’t create turnovers consistently enough. They’ll do it for a game or two here and there and then go stretches with zero turnovers.

hell, look at the playoffs from last year. Two games, zero turnovers. You cannot expect any team to make a playoff run, if they aren’t forcing turnovers and winning the turnover battle. As bad as that Rams game was, it could have been a different result if they even force ONE turnover. Just one could have changed the whole complexion of the game. But they couldn’t do it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post Stash , was a Rod fan at one time but the game has quickly passed him by . Its a shame but this guy is a liability that is killing us, especially in big games .

Our defensive philosophy has not made sense to me for years . We trade up for Mostly injured Claiborn when we could have traded up for Dontari Poe and solidified our line for years . Not many athletic Run Stoppers on the planet but we need to dedicate a high pick to a sure one if we ever expect to get past one playoff win in a season .

This method of continually drafting Dline that for whatever reasons can not get on the field and help us is closing the window on our opportunity to advance in the playoffs faster than an Arctic blast .
What successful team wastes D line picks like we do then goes to the scrap pile and starts a bunch of reclamation projects with any consistency.

Bottom Line must make better use of our Dline picks this is top 3 in our biggest problems holding us back

I'm hoping for a change there after this season. It's just a shame that we'll have to continue to function with what I consider a disadvantage until then.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a change there after this season. It's just a shame that we'll have to continue to function with what I consider a disadvantage until then.
I hear you just some random guys we could have had that IMO would have been upgrades to what we got
2012 Got Claiborne
could have Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe ,Chandler Jones, Micheal Brockers
2013 Got Gavin Escobar
could have Johnathon Hankins , Bennie Logan , John Jenkins
2015 Randy Gregory
Should have Frank Clark
2016 Charles Tapper
Hassan Ridgeway , Andrew Billings
2017 Taco Charlton
TJ Watt
2018 Trysten Hill
A few safetys that can atleast play were drafted after him

Our Defense would look pretty good Cox, Hankins , Clark , Billings , TJ and a young safety like Thornhill .
Trysten Hill Sheesh guy looks like a stone fruitcake must have spent so much time messin with that ***** up hair Do he was late to a meeting and sent home

cowboygo

Reaction score
I hear you just some random guys we could have had that IMO would have been upgrades to what we got
2012 Got Claiborne
2013 Got Gavin Escobar
2015 Randy Gregory
Should have Frank Clark
2016 Charles Tapper
2017 Taco Charlton
TJ Watt
2018 Trysten Hill

Our Defense would look pretty good Cox, Hankins , Clark , Billings , TJ and a young safety like Thornhill .
Trysten Hill Sheesh guy looks like a stone fruitcake must have spent so much time messin with that ***** up hair Do he was late to a meeting and sent home
But we wouldn't have been able to sign Zeke with all that talent on defense! /s

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2012 Got Claiborne
2013 Got Gavin Escobar
2015 Randy Gregory
Should have Frank Clark
2016 Charles Tapper
2017 Taco Charlton
TJ Watt
2018 Trysten Hill

This recent about-face is puzzling too. In this year's draft, they had their pick of all but one of the safeties. And they passed on all of them for Mr Inactive, Trysten Hill. And then, just 7 games later, they're willing to give up a 1st rounder-plus for a strong safety.

That makes no sense to me as is indicative of a team with no long term plan. But more like Jerry Jones continuing to throw resources in an effort to save his adopted son Jason Garrett. Mortgaging the future to save the present. Cooper, in 2018, trying the same with Jamal Adams this year.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This recent about-face is puzzling too. In this year's draft, they had their pick of all but one of the safeties. And they passed on all of them for Mr Inactive, Trysten Hill. And then, just 7 games later, they're willing to give up a 1st rounder-plus for a strong safety.

That makes no sense to me as is indicative of a team with no long term plan. But more like Jerry Jones continuing to throw resources in an effort to save his adopted son Jason Garrett. Mortgaging the future to save the present. Cooper, in 2018, trying the same with Jamal Adams this year.

I agree reeks of desperation and no plan I believe there were 3 safetys drafted after Hill .

Trysten and Taco how do you waste those picks and expect to succeed Rod couldnt do worse if he threw a bunch of names in a hat and let Jerry pick one every year . We hit on some players but he just has to be targeting the wrong kind of guys for the D line .

Go all the way back Bob Lilly Randy White Charles Haley HOF Where is our HOF Dlineman to take us to the SB nowhere on Rods Radar . I believe you need a dominant Dlineman in any era to get to the SB . Im as frustrated as you as to why they dont address this problem .

The past has shown us a certain nucleus of star players is required to get to the SB 70s Staubach , Thomas, Dorsett , Hayes , Pearson , Lilly, White . 90s Aikman , Irvin , Emmitt ,Haley Today Dak , Zeke , Amari , ???????

Every playoff game of late be it Dak or Romo at QB we are let down because of coaching and Dline Just my 2 cent sorry for the rant

GMO415

Reaction score
There were no excuses from the HC on down for that Jets loss. You don't blitz the QB returning from a serious illness????

kskboys

Reaction score

Boyhowdy, ain't that the truth. We pass on a position in the draft, then give up valuable resources to address that position.